Amplifier Advice

Posted by: leto2

Amplifier Advice - 02/07/11 10:17 PM

My system is comprised of Vandersteen 3A mains, VCC center and VSM surrounds.

The amp driving my mains, which I absolutely love, is a Bryston 4B-ST. The amp driving the center and surround channels is an Anthem MCA 5, which is just so-so.

a side note: The woofer or acoustic coupler on my left channel was recently damaged, I believe, due to the poor dampening of the Anthem while I was testing power consumption between both amps. Slew rate: The Bryston is rated at >60 V per microsecond, the Outlaw is around 50 and the Anthem is about 30.

So, I guess my question is this: If I replaced my Bryston and Anthem with a 5 or 7 channel Outlaw amp, what should I expect? Any increases or decreases in performance?

Thanks in advance.
Posted by: XenonMan

Re: Amplifier Advice - 02/08/11 07:54 PM

I don't think you will see much change in performance, but when you sell the other two your bank balance is likely to see a great improvement. Why do you attribute the damage to the Anthem? Did some transient happen to cause it or did the amp clip? If I recall, the Vandersteens are pretty efficient and driven by 200 watts from the MCA5 would have been extrememly loud. A transient at that point could have damaged almost any speaker.