Power conditioners; Do they limit an amps power?

Posted by: cp1966

Power conditioners; Do they limit an amps power? - 05/25/07 04:42 AM

I had read on another site that some people believe the use of a power conditioner can limit an amplifiers ability to utilize its power.

In other words, by connecting an amp (like my 7700) directly to an outlet, the amp puts out more power, and may actually sound better than if its plugged into a conditioner (like my Monster Power 2600)

has anyone here tried an A/B type comparison?
Posted by: fm

Re: Power conditioners; Do they limit an amps power? - 05/25/07 05:26 AM

A power conditioner is going to be rated to a certain power level, so it depends on the rating of the conditioner. The real reason to use one is if the AC is not consistent (fluctuating voltage) or clean (DC on the AC signal).
Posted by: gonk

Re: Power conditioners; Do they limit an amps power? - 05/25/07 12:00 PM

I haven't done an A/B comparison, although when I went to a power conditioner originally (back in 2002) I found no negative impact - if anything, it sounded better.

The key to keeping the amp happy is assuring sufficient current - most power conditioners include "high current" outlets that are specifically intended for use with amps.
Posted by: wingnut4772

Re: Power conditioners; Do they limit an amps power? - 05/25/07 07:54 PM

I found that using a Monster conditioner with my Outlaw and Earthquake amps was a bit limiting. I have since gone to a Shunyata conditioner which is non-current limiting...according to them. I haven't noticed any signs of constraint.