4ohms

Posted by: rubbersoul

4ohms - 05/19/07 03:57 AM

I am in the market for new speakers. So speakers that I have been looking at are 4 ohms, such as Totem and Gallo.
The sales person at a high end audio video store said that these speakers could possibly damage my 7700.
He told me that I should step UP to the Rotel.
First he told that he was not familiar with Outlaw products even though the store carries Home Theater Magazine.
I think this guy is nuts!

From what I read in the manual it should be no problem, but here I am double checking.
Any thoughts.

I am still auditioning speakers and next week I will be listening to the Paradigm Studio 60's. I liked the way these speakers sound when I heard them a couple of weeks ago and this time I will get to listen to the rest of the system. ADP590 surrounds CC690 center and the Rel r305 sub.
I know choices with speakers are individual tastes but
Opinions are welcome.

Thanks rubbersoul
Posted by: gonk

Re: 4ohms - 05/19/07 04:03 AM

Outlaw amps have driven plenty of 4-ohm speakers without breaking a sweat - they're even rated to operate at 4 ohms. A 4-ohm load not hurt the amp a bit. I think someone was hoping to sell a Rotel amp to you...
Posted by: tmdlp

Re: 4ohms - 05/19/07 04:48 AM

rubbersoul,
You should go and test this 'sales person'. Ask him if he has ever herd of a little out fit called ATI.

I'm in the same camp as Gonk - both sport Paradigm 60's.
There are other worthy choices..... Rocket, RBH, Axiom, and other from across the pond(east). Obviously i have just scratched the surface for speaker choices.
Have fun searching....
Posted by: AvFan

Re: 4ohms - 05/19/07 03:16 PM

All my M&Ks are 4 ohm speakers and my ATI 2005 (clone of the Outlaw 7500) runs them just fine. Last night was good example: I watched a couple of movies at pretty high volumes and my amp didn't even get warm. Speaker impedance varies depending upon the frequency and every curve I've seen shows the vast majority of the time speakers operate above (sometimes well above) their impedance rating. I suggest you pick the speakers that sound the best to you and forget about the 7700. It will be fine driving just about every commercially available speaker.

Re: 4ohms - 05/19/07 05:29 PM

Thanks guys for your help.
My thoughts exactly Gonk about the salesman trying to sell me a Rotel. No Way.

I am hedging towards the Paradigm Studio 60's. Taking the better half with me this week to feel the expierence.

Hey I am a lucky guy. She knows I am a nut with this stuff and I think she knows that it is to late to stop me....after 35 years of being togather.

I am looking forward to it.

This site is the BEST.
Thanks people!!
Posted by: gonk

Re: 4ohms - 05/19/07 06:04 PM

Have fun speaker-shopping, rubbersoul. smile
Posted by: candyman

Re: 4ohms - 05/21/07 04:52 AM

Rubbersoul, my 7500 drives my Martin Logan reQuests--rated a nominal 4 ohm with dips to 1.2 ohm--without a problem. Your 7700 will be just fine. Enjoy the speaker hunt.

Re: 4ohms - 05/21/07 09:02 PM

Thanks Candyman, By the way nice equipment. It is a shame about M&K's demise. Now there is a speaker that I would have to look into.

rubbersoul
Posted by: Ritz

Re: 4ohms - 05/23/07 12:31 PM

My old 755 (predecessor to the 7500/7700) has no issues at all driving my relatively inefficient 4ohm Maggies.

Best,