Bannana Plugs and the 7500

Posted by: knownalien

Bannana Plugs and the 7500 - 08/13/06 08:47 AM

I just went to Best Buy and bought some moster bannana plugs. These particualr ones are already "coupled" but they have a little flex. In the back of my Denon I managed to get them plugged in fine as they were. But judging from picks of the 7500, I think the distance between the posts in the back too far apart and my mosters will be useless? Is this a possibility? The monster plaugs are like $20 a pair. It'd be a shame to not be able to use them.
Posted by: jmschnur

Re: Bannana Plugs and the 7500 - 08/13/06 09:16 AM

Spades are much better for the 7500. It is a dfferential amp and the security of really tight coupling is important.

Perhaps you could exchange them for spades.

Joel

Re: Bannana Plugs and the 7500 - 08/13/06 09:19 AM

they may be better, but will banannas fit?
Posted by: gonk

Re: Bannana Plugs and the 7500 - 08/13/06 10:51 AM

What's the spacing between the bananas? I made a very rough estimate of the spacing between the posts on the 7500, but will need to pull the cabinet forward a bit to get an accurate measurement. The distance between post centers looks to be ~3/4" (possibly 7/8"). If that's close to your bananas, I'll try to get a better measurement when Kate takes her nap this afternoon.

Re: Bannana Plugs and the 7500 - 08/13/06 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
What's the spacing between the bananas? I made a very rough estimate of the spacing between the posts on the 7500, but will need to pull the cabinet forward a bit to get an accurate measurement. The distance between post centers looks to be ~3/4" (possibly 7/8"). If that's close to your bananas, I'll try to get a better measurement when Kate takes her nap this afternoon.
3/4" on the dot.
Posted by: nfaguys

Re: Bannana Plugs and the 7500 - 08/13/06 01:57 PM

Having used "standard-issue" banana plugs for years I recently purchased LOCKING BANANA PLUGS from a seller on ebay. Very pleased with them...and when working on wiring in tight spots behind the amp and speakers they don't pull out like previously. Reasinably priced. HTH
Posted by: gonk

Re: Bannana Plugs and the 7500 - 08/13/06 02:45 PM

If your bananas are exactly 3/4" apart, I'm pretty sure that's the standard spacing and that Outlaw stuck with that spacing for the 7500 and 7700 (and all their other amps). I'll try to get a more accurate measurement later today to confirm it.
Posted by: fm

Re: Bannana Plugs and the 7500 - 08/13/06 07:13 PM

The binding posts on the amp are for 3/4" spacing. Depending on the post, you can even plug them into the holes the wires go into.
Posted by: billyTHEkid

Re: Bannana Plugs and the 7500 - 08/13/06 09:53 PM

i have used monster banana plugs with the 7500, but i really prefer the locking ones. you don't have to worry about a loose connection. If your plugs don't fit, you can always cut the plastic and seperate them into two seperate plugs.
Posted by: Wayne Charlton

Re: Bannana Plugs and the 7500 - 08/14/06 12:28 PM

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index....rentPage=search
Posted by: barend

Re: Bannana Plugs and the 7500 - 08/20/06 04:02 AM

I use inexpensive bananas with an extra twist ring that splice them open to clamp tight into any 4 mm socket (they fit my 7700).
These are OK.
But I agree GOOD spades are the best thing.
Tried many others, always problems.