7500 question

Posted by: asharris7

7500 question - 03/26/14 07:10 PM

Just bought a year old Outlaw 7500 amp and it sounds great!I replaced an Adcom 7700 with this. There is however a static sound ONLY coming from the Right front speaker. The volume of the static is consistent regardless of how high I turn the master volume. Is it a ground loop? I wouldn't think it would be considering that it's only the Right front making this noise. Any experts out there that can help? Thanks!
Posted by: XenonMan

Re: 7500 question - 03/26/14 10:21 PM

Take the grill off the speaker and inspect the tweeter and speakers for damage. Check your connections to make sure no stray wires are touching where they shouldn't on both the amp and speaker. Swap the inputs and see if the sound swaps with it.

Re: 7500 question - 03/26/14 10:59 PM

The speakers are brand new. Had them for 3 months (Klipsch). I'll recheck it tomorrow. The static is so faint you have to put your ear up to the speaker to hear it. The Adcom amp, all 5 speakers had a little static. With this amp, only the front right. Bought all new Emotiva X-series RCA cables too.
My setup:
Klipsch RF-82II
Klipsch RC-62-II
Polk RT800I rears
SVS PC-13 Ultra
APC-H15
Yamaha Aventage 1030
Blue jean 12 gauge speaker wire.

Re: 7500 question - 03/27/14 02:56 PM

Check the actually speaker wires if you are using bare wire make sure no stray strands. If using banana plugs check them closely. I usally just wiggle them a little.
Posted by: gonk

Re: 7500 question - 03/27/14 03:42 PM

Also check for any power cables near the speaker wire or the pre-amp wire - either could pick up some noise from a power cord.

Re: 7500 question - 03/28/14 09:29 AM

Xenonman, Do you plug your 7500 into the APC H15? I have heard that it will choke the amp. I see you live in NC, I live in Greensboro.

Re: 7500 question - 03/28/14 04:44 PM

Yes my 7500 is plugged into the APC. I only use 4 channels to power my Maggies and two of those are feeding ribbon speakers so the power draw is within the capacity of the APC. I live near Hendersonville and we get a lot of lightning sometimes and we are surrounded by trees. Even at full power the amp doesn't overload the APC and I like having it protected. Outlaw recommends you just plug it into the wall.

Re: 7500 question - 03/28/14 04:52 PM

At full power, the 7500 is rated to draw 1800watts. That would probably trip a 15 amp circuit. I plug into the wall instead of my APC and will unplug the unit if a storm is coming. My SVS is plugged into the wall too.
Posted by: butchgo

Re: 7500 question - 03/30/14 11:17 AM

Do you seriously think that you would ever crank the volume up so loud that you would blow a 15 amp breaker?
If you did your ears would be bleeding and the neighbors would have already called the cops!!!!!
I run my 7500 through a Monster power enter and I have never had any kind of problems of any kind and we watch movies pretty darn loud so I wouldn't worry about it.

Re: 7500 question - 03/30/14 04:21 PM

Never said blow, I said trip wink It Is entirely possible with my sub's max output and the amp drawing max. (granted that situation would probably never arise) All I am saying is that it's possible. I am most concerned about choking my amp and sub with limiting it's power. After all, both Outlaw and SVS recommend plugging directly into the wall. Outlaw's manual even suggests that you have a dedicated 20 amp circuit to power it properly. my 2c.

Re: 7500 question - 03/31/14 12:29 PM

I had an electrician friend come over to measure what I was pulling out of the 15 amp circuit with everything cranked. I was listening to the Eagles Blu ray concert at -17 and All I was pulling was 7.5 amps. Just wanted to let people know that a 20 amp circuit isn't necessary if you have the 7500 model.
Posted by: gonk

Re: 7500 question - 03/31/14 04:35 PM

The reality of equipment like this (and many other kinds of electronics) is that diversity is HUGE. We run into this when running commercial heating and cooling load calculations. For your sub and amp to draw close to 15A, you would need to have very inefficient speakers, a very active multichannel track (all channels heavily involved at once), and a high volume level setting in a large room. My old power conditioner had an amp meter on the front panel, and the entire system (sub, amps, TV, and other components) typically drew anywhere from 3A to 7A.