7700 hum/buzz. Gound loop, I think not.

Posted by: vp8000

7700 hum/buzz. Gound loop, I think not. - 02/10/13 07:27 PM

Hey all,

I have posted all over the place including on this forum. I have the 7700 amp since 2006 with my 990. Worked great until a few months back. When I used to turn on my system, using a power conditioner (Monster 3500, actually 2 of them)delay on the amp it came on with no sound at all for many years, always came on quiet and ran quiet. About 4 months ago, when I powered on my system, when the amp came on, it made a kind of loud buzz/hum which stated low and got loud, lasted a second. Then after all was on, the buzz/hum from my speakers was there.

Nothing in 6 years, now a buzz??? I didn't pay much attention to it as I was not using the system much and was going to upgrade to a new Oppo blu ray player, new Epson PJ and new Marantz AV7005. All in place, hooked them up and the same thing happening, buzz/hum kind of loud, way louder then before. Spent months troubleshooting, reading, ran a brand new 20 amp circuit etc. The only time the buzz is present is when I run either RCA cables or XLR cables from the amp to the pre. The more cables I plug in, the louder the buzz gets and so on.

I am now thing maybe it is the amp? Just wondering some thoughts from everyone on this. I am calling Outlaw in the AM for some much needed help. Thanks.
Posted by: vp8000

Re: 7700 hum/buzz. Gound loop, I think not. - 02/10/13 07:28 PM

PS, had added 2 brand new Panamax 5300 line conditioners, still loud buzz/hum.
Posted by: Sirquack

Re: 7700 hum/buzz. Gound loop, I think not. - 02/11/13 05:05 PM

You think not, but a ground loop is most likely.
Posted by: XenonMan

Re: 7700 hum/buzz. Gound loop, I think not. - 02/12/13 01:05 AM

I agree ground loops are a hitch.
Posted by: rubbersoul

Re: 7700 hum/buzz. Gound loop, I think not. - 02/13/13 11:51 AM

If coming thru your speakers its a ground.
There are many inexpensive devices to get rid of your ground loop if you cannot find the actual source of the problem.
Go to Amazon.com and search Ground Loop Isolator.

Hope this helps