Oppo 980 to 970 connection

Posted by: DaveT

Oppo 980 to 970 connection - 03/03/10 09:37 PM

My 970 was down for a long time and I am trying to reconnect it to my Oppo DV0-980H and am a little confused.

Should I use the 6 RCA multi-channel outputs on the Oppo and connect them to my 970 for the best sound ( even if I am only using 5.1) or just use the digital connection( which I did before)? I want to get the most out of the two components.
Thanks in advance for any help!
Posted by: KOYAAN

Re: Oppo 980 to 970 connection - 03/03/10 09:55 PM

It's hard to say. The 6 RCA multichannel inputs will allow the Oppo to do the digital-to-analog convervion and pass it to the 970. The digital connection would allow tha 970 to do the conversion.
Either one will probably give you very acceptible results, but most folks would use the digital connection because :
1. It gives you more processing options
2. It keeps the signal in the digital domain longer. This is generally accepted as being a good thing.
The 6 RCA connections will be necessary , however , if you wish to play SACDs or DVD-As.
I use both, generally using the digital connection for DVDs and analog for music.
Posted by: gonk

Re: Oppo 980 to 970 connection - 03/03/10 10:01 PM

If you are dealing with just CD and DVD, skip the multichannel analogs and just use coaxial or optical. I'd recommend using the analogs only if you need them - which would be for DVD-Audio and SACD.
Posted by: DaveT

Re: Oppo 980 to 970 connection - 03/04/10 09:20 PM

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it!
Posted by: M. Campbell

Re: Oppo 980 to 970 connection - 04/23/10 01:31 PM

What about with a new blu-ray player? I just picked up a nice new panasonic BD85 and according to it's manual if i want the best HD sound options from blu-ray I should be using the analog outputs, unless I have a processor which has hdmi inputs. I have it hooked up that way and it sounds great - still not sure where the toggle switch should be though. I also don't yet have side speakers, just fronts, center, and sub.
Thanks.
Mike
Posted by: gonk

Re: Oppo 980 to 970 connection - 04/23/10 02:03 PM

My BDP-83/Outlaw setup guides might be useful, even though you aren't using an OPPO player. The player menu settings will differ, but the rest of it (reason for using the analog outputs and Modle 970 settings) should still be helpful.