Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade?

Posted by: mick16

Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 03/04/06 03:22 PM

I ran the version upgrade stickied at the beginning of this forum and I'm still having the no audio problem.

I checked the firmware to confirm it installed and the version is "mcp-ot10700602091310" which I'm assuming is the most current version.

At least 80% of the time I select Video 1 from an off position, I'm getting no sound, and sometimes there's some kind of lined pattern over the TV picture as well. Fortunately, I can fix the problem if I manually press the Standby button off and then on, but I expect better than that from a $700 item.

If it matters, I have a DirecTV R15 DVR Sattelite Receiver with audio via Optical Digital Output hooked up to Video 1. In the Input Config, I have Video set to AUTO and AUTO POLL set to ON.

Anyone else still having issues or have any suggestions before I call and try to get a replacement unit?
Posted by: iardon

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 03/05/06 04:03 PM

I still had the no audio problem after the update. I'd suggest calling them.
Posted by: Jay H

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 03/06/06 08:17 AM

I noticed another no audio problem, this time even just selecting the FM Tuner!!! I don't have a PC so I haven't installed the upgrade, perhaps the unit should come with a laptop computer!

Jay
Posted by: Arthur Pappas

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 03/06/06 04:51 PM

That doesn't look like it's the latest software build.
Posted by: gonk

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 03/06/06 05:41 PM

mick16's firmware does appear to be the latest - this page lists the same version number, at least. Jay H hasn't had a chance to install the latest patch because there's no PC handy for him to use to install it.

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 03/07/06 07:32 AM

Yeah, I clearly mentioned no PC (yet). I read this forum at work. Maybe if anybody has a 10 mile USB cable.... wink

Jay

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 03/07/06 06:00 PM

Thanks for the feedback, I'll give them a call on Friday then when I get back into town and have the unit in front of me.

Steve suggested I do a reset last time I called and that didn't seem to help. I also switched of Auto Poll and still no luck.

It seems like if I select other input sources (like DVD or Video 2) from an off position, then it always works fine, so I'm wondering if its just the Video Input 1 issue or if its somehow incompatible with the DirecTV DVR model R15.
Posted by: openhelix

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 03/09/06 03:22 PM

I had it for the first time tuesday night. I flashed my 970 to the new firmware before even hooking it up. I powered on the 970 to video 1 (my sat input which uses optical 2), and there was no sound at all. Once I switched inputs and went back it was fine. Auto-polling is off for all digital inputs. It hasn't happened since so I hope it was an isolated incident.
Posted by: Ruffles

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 03/19/06 04:54 PM

I'm still having lots of "no audio" issues after the upgrade. I'm calling Outlaw and see what they say. I'm a few day's past my 30 day but I'm going to ask about getting a 990 instead.

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 03/20/06 10:30 PM

I'm actually quite concerned about Outlaw's quality and support. I'm on my second unit, and still experiencing the no audio problem.

So, I've given up. I'll enjoy the sound quality and suffer with the bugs.

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 03/21/06 08:47 AM

This is why I still have my circa 1980's "boom box" with a simply analog switch, round analog dials and Non-digital!

Jay

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 03/21/06 02:56 PM

I talked to Outlaw about this today and didn't really get anywhere. They said that first of all, very few people reported having this problem. Next, if the problem is on a sat or cable input, it's most likely that device, not the 970. I tried to argue this as my Motorola DVR worked fine with my Yamaha reciever. He still claimed that unless I'm experiencing problems on the DVD input where you have a steady audio stream, the DVR is at fault.

Then I brought up the possibility of upgrading to a 990 since this problem hasn't be reported with it. He said that would be fine and should work OK. If that's the case, that means the 970 still has issues.

At his suggestion, I reset the 970 back to factory defaults and while setting it back up with my calibration DVD, I still get audio drops when switching from DTS discrete to Dolby Digital for example. While I'm not happy about rewarding a company with a defective product with $400 more, I don't really have much choice as I'm passed my 30 so a refund is out of the question. I'm thrilled with the 7125 and other processors cost considerable more so it looks like I'll have to get a 990 to fix this.

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 03/21/06 03:20 PM

When it comes to source components, there's a huge range of variation, particularly with cable or satellite receivers (this is something that all receiver and processor manufacturers struggle with - I just saw a comment from another manufacturer along these same lines a day or so ago). The original problem that was relatively widely experienced with the 970 and 1070 was apparently addressed with the firmware update (based on the fact that nearly everyone found the problem to be resolved), but it is possible that a few people's satellite or cable boxes are just enough out of spec to throw a wrench in the works for the 970 or 1070. The variation from spec could be slight enough to only affect a handful of receivers or processors - it's even possible that an identical satellite or cable box would not exhibit the problem. Would the 990 be better able to cope with the deviation from spec better than the 970? Beats me, but there are a bunch of 990's out there and we haven't heard of anybody having these problems.

Having said all of that, I also want to add that none of it helps when it's your processor and your cable or satellite box that are fighting. I'm sorry, fellas.

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 03/21/06 03:21 PM

***I don't have the upgrade yet***

Has anybody had the unit no-audio problem after the upgrade with the Tuner?? If Outlaw is claiming that it was your DVD player's fault, how do they explain turning the unit on with the Tuner selected, I've had this happen before. I've had it happen in my old software with DVD, CD, Tuner, basically ALL my sources.

Jay

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 03/21/06 03:28 PM

Prior to the update, the problem was reported with all sources. Mick16 and Ruffles are seeing the problem solely with a cable/satellite receiver, and I'm not sure about whether iardon's been running into it on just one source or not.

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 03/21/06 03:40 PM

I'm having the problem on both DVD and Video2. I don't use the tuner and video1 (vcr) very often so I don't know if it occurs on them.

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 03/21/06 04:08 PM

Hrmmm... That one stumps me, Ruffles.
Posted by: Arthur Pappas

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 03/21/06 11:13 PM

The update seems to have made my no-audio problems worse. The only 2 devices I have connected to the 970 is a Denon DVD player, & a Prismiq MediaPlayer that I use to stream Internet audio. I'd guess 3 out of 5 times when I play a DVD or stream web radio, all I get is silence. I can see the song counter progressing on the player, but nothing from the 970. The ONLY way for me to get audio is:

1. get up & turn 970 off then back on
2. switch to radio input then back to device input

While I'm impressed with the overall build quality of the 970, these software bugs have no place in a device of this price class.

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 03/22/06 12:06 AM

Since I don't have a 970 to test myself, I'd suggest that anyone experiencing problems of this sort take detailed notes (as several of you seem to have done) and pass that information along to Outlaw. The 970 uses the same platform as the 1070, which has been "on the street" since late last summer I believe, so the problem is almost certainly either the result of previously-unseen equipment interactions or perhaps a bug introduced while fixing other problems (such as the video switching update from December) - after all, anytime you touch code you run the risk of messing something up elsewhere in the system. The RS-232 port is there to cope with issues like this, and if Outlaw has feedback such as we're seeing here it will let them root out the source and hopefully squash any pesky bugs.

(It may be that I'm just tired and need to go to bed, but this talk of annoying bugs caused me to think about a particular skunk about 110 miles from here that was sniffing around a construction dumpster - makes me wonder what the skunk would think about the assorted phone calls and e-mails that bounced around today because of its presence.)

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 03/22/06 01:50 PM

FWIW, I'm still having the no audio issue 100% of the time from my Roku soundbridge over coax digital. I get it occasionally over DVD and never on TV (Video1).

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 03/30/06 09:14 PM

My problems are widespread on all inputs at this point (Video 1, 2, 3 and DVD) and I've done the firmware upgrade twice. The only common theme between them is that they are all connected to a digital input (3 optical connections and 1 coaxial).

I called Steve at Outlaw and his solution for the time being was to select an input which is connected to nothing first and then switch the input you want. My solution is to turn it on and then walk over and flip it off and on manually and then it works. Steve said it was a software issue and they are working on it, but I expect more for the price I paid for this unit. I mean you can buy an A/V receiver for $199 that works everytime you push the button...

I'm beginning to wish I would have just kept the 950 and not upgraded to the 970 at this point. I think outlaw is a good company, but they need to come up with a real solution and not just a work around.

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 03/31/06 04:34 PM

Agreed. It's far too simple of a problem to have made it through any sort of real QA. I hate paying to be a beta tester for a company.

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 03/31/06 04:40 PM

You would be amazed what can get past even an aggressive QA process - and considering how effectively nonexistent the issue was with the 1070 (which uses the exact same platform as the 970 but has amps added to the mix), it seems clear that the combination of factors required to bring the issue to light is not necessarily obvious. I am sure that they'll get it fixed.

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 04/02/06 02:59 PM

Actually, I probably wouldn't. I know it's your job to be an Outlaw apologist, and we can take this offline if you want, but this isn't at all an isolated case nor terribly difficult to replicate. Given every single other manufacturer seems to have figured this out, I'm disappointed Outlaw can't seem to get it right.
Posted by: mstmorse

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 04/02/06 11:36 PM

Just hooked up my 970 today after about a week and a half. Did the upgrade before i hooked it up. Turns out I have the "no audio" problem on all inputs also, including the tuner. At first I was able to get the audio back by switching inputs but after the last time, nothing I do will bring it back. It also made a REALLY loud hum with popping. Tried to reset and still nothing. Love my 950, but need the DVI switching. I think it's going to have to go back.

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 04/02/06 11:39 PM

I'd suggest calling Outlaw tomorrow. I don't have a 970 (so don't have any experience with this problem), but what you are reporting sounds more severe than anybody else has run into. There may be something else going on with your unit.

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 04/03/06 12:36 AM

Damn, I also have the popping. Started a thread today asking about it. Gonk, what should I do? I'm on my second 970, still have the no audio problem, popping, and noise coming from my tweeters.

I had before this an Onkyo that did everything right but was just 5.1. So I get the 970 and now I'm screwed.

Sorry, but I'm frustrated and feel like crap.

Quote:
It also made a REALLY loud hum with popping.[/QB]
Posted by: mstmorse

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 04/03/06 12:59 AM

Well, just reset and upgraded the firmware again. Seems to have brought the audio back, at least to the DVD input. Haven't hooked up everything else yet. We'll have to see how long it lasts. Anyone know what their firmware version shows on the 970 when they pull it up? I keep downloading the one on the site, but it shows up ending in "10", not "12" like the link shows.

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 04/03/06 09:27 AM

iardon, I just posted some feedback in your popping thread that might help you. I doubt that what you are experiencing could cause damage to your speakers, but I sure can understand the concern. As for the no-audio problem, it seems clear that the issue isn't a hardware problem - it seems that the original bug is more elusive than previously believed, but I'm sure they'll track it down.
Posted by: Oracle

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 04/05/06 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mstmorse:
Well, just reset and upgraded the firmware again. Seems to have brought the audio back, at least to the DVD input. Haven't hooked up everything else yet. We'll have to see how long it lasts. Anyone know what their firmware version shows on the 970 when they pull it up? I keep downloading the one on the site, but it shows up ending in "10", not "12" like the link shows.

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 04/05/06 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oracle:
Quote:
Originally posted by mstmorse:
[b] Well, just reset and upgraded the firmware again. Seems to have brought the audio back, at least to the DVD input. Haven't hooked up everything else yet. We'll have to see how long it lasts. Anyone know what their firmware version shows on the 970 when they pull it up? I keep downloading the one on the site, but it shows up ending in "10", not "12" like the link shows.
[/b]
mstmorse et al., let me try this one more time. frown
(Can you tell I am a new user to forums?)

Anyway, I used to work for the company that makes the DSP that is in the 950, 970, 990 and 1070, so I have a little bit of insight as to what might be going on here.

I have yet to upgrade my unit which was purchased in early February and have only once experienced an audio drop out issue on the Scientific Atlanta Digital STB using the optical TOSLINK connector into Optical 1 on the 970. To correct this, I simply changed the HDTV channel and then changed back and audio came back. (Polling was enabled).

When you reloaded the FW, you say that the audio drop outs seem to have dissapeared, which is consistant with what the beta site testers have all reported. I assume that you have not changed any of the user adjustable initial factory DSP mode settings for each input and audio type, right?

To this I mean, you did not go into the menu and re-assign your preferred DSP modes per audio input type (e.g. when a stream is Dolby Digital 2/0.0, 2/0.1, 2/2.0, 2/2.1, 3/2.0, 3/2.1 (no EX encoding), the factory defaults should be Dolby Digital + Dolby Pro Logic IIx - Cinema) after the unit was upgraded.

I plan to upgrade my 970 this week and have a look at this issue in more detail.

Also, has anyone had this issue using solely analog inputs (which deliver Linear PCM to the DSP) when switching from one source to another source?

Next, has anyone had any issue changing from one source (which has a digital input) to another source (which has a digital input) where the audio data type is identical? This means, if you have a Roku Soundbridge (or some other type of digital audio source), it should be outputting linear PCM. If you have a DVD player and play a CD it will also be sending linear PCM to the 970. Do you experience and audio drop out in this scenario?

Next test is to change channels on a the digital STB (Cable or Satellite) which is sending out Dolby Digital 2/0.0 or Dolby Digital 3/2.1, staying with the same source and digital input (either Optical 1/2/3/4 or Coaxial 1/2/3/4). Do you experience and audio drop out in this scenario?

Lastly, please connect a DVD player that allows you to change the audio stream in real-time (some players allow this, some don't). What I mean by this, is put in a DVD that carries say two or three different audio types (a type is AC-3 (a.k.a Dolby Digital), DTS, or Linear PCM). Does not matter the channel config of the stream type or extension. Change the stream type on the DVD player so that it selects a Dolby Digital stream, then a DTS stream, then a Linear PCM stream. Not all DVDs offer all three (if fact it is rare), but most have at least 1 Dolby Digital track (DVD forum mandate) and DTS track (Steven Speilberg mandate...just kidding).

By changing these audio input types WITHOUT changing the source input, please let me know if you get an audio drop out.

To anyone on the forum wishing to help debug this issue:

Please indicate if you have the new FW or the old FW.

Please indicate if you have Auto Poll enabled or not.

Please indicate which source you are using and which digital input.

Please indicate the audio type and associated DSP mode that the unit was in when the "no-audio" issue happens.

Please indicate if you have changed ANY of the factory settings and if you have, please indicate which settings you changed.

With this detailed information, the Outlaws should be able to get to the bottom of this problem and issue a new FW fix in no time.

The main catch with these types of sticky FW issues is that for some people the repeatability of this problem is 100%, for others, it has taken them weeks to find this issue (in fact 8 people Beta tested this code for 3 weeks and no one found the issue, in addition to the extensive QA test that it went through at the factory).

The more repeatable the problem, the easier it is to find, replicate and repair. If the problem is not easily repeatable by all parties, reporting this kind of feedback is critical.

Thank you all for your feedback.

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 04/05/06 09:23 AM

Find the problem, give me the solution. I'm tired of being a beta tester. It might sound harsh, but I did pay 700 dollars for the unit which shouldn't have a "no audio" bug. Not audio drop out, but no audio.

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 04/05/06 09:31 AM

They'll find it, iardon. Oracle's point is much the same as mine (albeit with much greater detail since he's apparently spent some quality time under the hood of the Cirrus 49300 and 49400 chips) - this bug is not necessarily easily reproduced (if it were, it would be happening to everybody), so details on how it is reproduced for the folks who do experience it is key to fixing it.

Oracle, it's not entirely clear from your post, but I take it you aren't directly associated with Outlaw or the 970 development itself (aside from owning one yourself) - you're just offering your suggestions for zeroing in on the problem based on experience with the Cirrus DSP's. Am I right? Either way, that's a great test procedure you've outlined.
Posted by: pjscrs

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 04/05/06 10:00 AM

I also have the no audio problem with a couple of twists.

I see it when I use my Directv HD DVR. About 20% of the time when I fast forward and stop I get no audio. I simply go to pause and try again and it works. Polling is off and the standard settings are used for DD. I also get two other alternatives. First, about 1 in 20 occurances of audio problems I will get a distorted audio. Second, in about the same interval, I'll get a white noise audio output (scares the hell out of you). This is the same sound you get when you try to play a DTS cd on a non DTS player. Basically no decoding of the signal.

The no audio problem is there all the time on live Directv as well. If I switch between DD channels and Pro logic channels, no audio will occur as well in about 20% of the time.

I have seen the no audio on the dvd player, but not as often (I usually don't stop and start the dvd player).

This problem is getting frustrating. I added the new FW with no improvement.

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 04/05/06 10:21 AM

I've had the no audio problem occur via a analog input (XM Radio). I think I'm the only one that has happened to. I don't have "no audio" after it's working like some have experienced. My no audio problems occur only from start up. And it doesn't matter in which order I power up my equipment. Auto polling is always off and 99.9% of the time I'm able to fix the problem just by cycling through audio modes. At the end, I'll have to do a full circle to get the mode I powered up with but that's my solution. Once in a while the unit will totally lock up, not respond from the remote or front buttons but that's only happened a few times.

Btw, all this info has already been given to Outlaw a while ago. And maybe, just maybe, this is a hardware problem. Hmmm... what will Outlaw do then? Not to sound like a broken record but, my problems (no audio/popping/hiss) started when I swapped my Onkyo for the 970. So it's obvious the 970 has issues and it's frustrating to hear from fellow outlaws and employees of outlaw audio to try things like "a different outlet, or separate the cables or try a different digital input or test this and that". It's obvious the 970 has some issues and possibly hardware problems as well. Or maybe it's just built cheaply. I don't know, I'm not an expert in this field, just comparing to what I used to have.

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 04/05/06 10:46 AM

Well, if the 970 has a hardware problem, I suspect you'll see them do what they did with the 950 - repair or replace the defective units. I still suspect that the problem is software related, though.

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 04/08/06 09:11 AM

Gonk et al., it is time that I come clean.

I got involved with Outlaw when I was at Cirrus when they were mid-way through the 950 platform in the firmware development at Eastech. I worked closely with Outlaw on such features as Triple-Crossover Bass Management, Cirrus Extra Surround, understanding of the various DSP modes, autodetection, microcontroller interaction, etc.

During my time at Cirrus, I debugged problems like this for a living.

After choosing to advance my career, I left Cirrus to become Director of Product Development for the CHED (Commercial and High-End Division) of Eastech/ATLM Taiwan.

The 970 is based on a platform that I co-designed with the Director of Engineering using an almost all-Cirrus IC solution.

I currently do not work for Eastech any longer as I moved back to Austin, Texas for personal reasons. Living in Taiwan for 2 years and not being able to pick up Mandarin Chinese in itself was quite a challenge. However, if you every have the ability to work overseas, I highly recommend it as it is an invaluable life experience. I am very thankful for the opportunity that was given to me.

Unfortunately, I was not able to see the 1070 or 970 to firmware completion, beta testing then production, but while I was there I did manage the firmware engineer that developed the firmware for both the 970 and 1070, on other projects. He is very smart and very capable.

I was contacted by the Outlaws and asked if I might be able to spend some "free" time to look into this issue.

Iardon, I can sincerely sympathize with your frustration. Believe it or not, I am in the exact same boat. I purchased my 970, and want nothing more than to see this issue brought to closure, because I do agree with you. Regardless of the dollar amount you paid, Outlaw products stand for both quality and value. While this particular bug is not easily repeatable, even for a major Japanese brand (believe me), I can assure you that we will get to the bottom of this.

AVR/Audio Processor designs are amazingly complicated and take even the most proficient company anywhere from 1 ~ 1.5 years to design a platform from the ground up, which this platform was.

Even though I did not write a single line of microcontroller code for this system, from the HIGHLY valuable feedback that the Outlaw Saloon members: pjcrs and iardon have given, I am 100% convinced, what you are experiencing, in terms of the "no audio" issue is definately NOT related to a hardware problem.

This is definately a software problem. Which, as my favorite ex-Outlaw Martha Stewart says, "is a good thing", because it means that this can be fixed (hence the inclusion of the RS-232 port and flash memory capability on this platform).

It appears to be related to the system microcontroller interaction with the DSP autodetection mechanism.

PJSCRS, your descriptions of no-audio combined with "a white noise audio output (scares the hell out of you). This is the same sound you get when you try to play a DTS cd on a non DTS player" are a classic case of telling the DSP that the audio format is AC-3 (or PCM) when in fact it is PCM (or AC-3). What you are hearing is the DSP configured for PCM playback (as this is what the stream looks like to the DSP when you are fast forwarding as the typical stream "clues" are all chopped up, it assumes that what you are sending is PCM. Suddenly, when you start playing again, 20% of the time you are getting the "no audio" problem, which is what the DSP is SUPPOSED to do when it has been configured for PCM, but then detects the incoming stream as AC-3.

This would also account for the 970 "no-audio" output when people are initially turning on their units when a digital audio stream is already being sent to the unit.

When the input source or DSP mode is changed, the microcontroller (should) tell the DSP first look that the incoming stream and THEN upon report of this stream, load the appropriate default or user-preferred DSP mode.

Depending on when the DSP "looks" at the incoming stream, for a brief moment in time (X mS) it may report a compressed stream as a PCM stream, until it sees the correct IEC61937 header identifier and/or compressed stream sync word coming from the S/PDIF input (optical TOSlink or Coaxial), after which it will then report the proper stream to the microcontroller.

Iardon, what is puzzling is the reported "no audio" when the input selection is Analog. Is this highly repeatable? Is there another analog audio source that you might possibly use...i.e. one that is not subject to audio drop-outs of their own (I also own an XM tuner).

The the 970, when the input is analog, this means that the data can not be anything but Linear PCM being sent to the DSP, hence there is no need for the microcontroller to wait for the DSP to report that the incoming stream is PCM, however that does not mean that the DSP should not still be continuously running "autodetect" in the background (which is entirely different than Auto-Poll. It can just set the default, last or user-set DSP mode (which is appropriate for processing Linear PCM) and start processing data.

However, this may well be explained later on as you report "My no audio problems occur only from start up. And it doesn't matter in which order I power up my equipment." To me, this indicates that there is another issue going on where the microcontroller is setting the default DSP mode (or user-preffered DSP mode) without first looking at the audio stream type upon system initialization.

For those that might question the amount of QA that this product went through, I can assure you that thousands of man-hours went into the debugging of the system firmware over the design lifetime of this product just to get it where it is today.

I am at a disadvantage as I do not have access to the labs that I once had where this problem could be diagnosed in a day or two, with an I2C/SPI bus sniffer and scope, provided that the problem was repeatable with the proper source equipment.

If you gents and other members that would like to assist the Outlaws by donating your free time to bring this issue to close (just like me), I am certain that it would be greatly appreciated by the Outlaws.

The data that needs to be collected (in detail) is outline in my previous posting. The more data that is collected (please do not spare ANY detail, including: audio source make and model, digital or analog connection, (if digital) Optical or Coaxial and #, Source input, Source material (e.g. Blade Runner DVD, Dolby Digital 3/2.1 English track, 1 hour, 2 mins, 13 seconds into movie or HDNET channel), Auto-Poll On/Off, DSP mode that the unit is initially in when it is powered up, indicate if the unit starts from analog input and then switches to digital input when Auto-Poll is enabled (or even disabled), methods by which you are able to get the unit to recover from the "no-audio" issue, methods by which you are able to make the "no-audio" issue worse.

The Outlaws are trying their best to get to the bottom of this issue, and we could really use your help.

Thank you in advance.
Posted by: brubacca

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 04/09/06 12:50 PM

At first I wasn't having this issue after the upgrade. Then when all of you started talking about it I started seeing this behavior. It happens to me when I power the unit off when it has been playing Audio through the Analog connection. When I power back up and immediately switch to a digital input (my cable box) I sometimes get the "no audio." personally I think part of the problem is these substandard cable boxes that the companies are putting out. I had an issue with this cable box model (Scientific Atlanta 3250HD) on my other Pre-Amp (B&K Ref 10). It was the only device that ever had a problem with locking the digital signal with my B&K. B&K's said that they had a fix, but I had to upgrade to the newer Codecs. Well I upgraded to a Outlaw 970! I feel confident that Outlaw will get this resolved, but I am also getting frustrated, like others. I haven't had tome to really troubleshoot this issue, but what I have detailed above is what I have noticed.

Good Luck,

Charlie
Posted by: JHoff80

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 04/11/06 10:59 AM

I have the 1070, but I also am having similar problems; the last time I observed it was with an analog signal as well, set to DPLII-M. It is a very intermittant problem for me, so its hard to keep track of.
Posted by: Ragnar

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 04/11/06 05:22 PM

I also have a 1070. No audio problem happens to me very seldom - about once every two weeks. Last time it happened I was running a SACD in 7.1 analog mode and when I switched back to an optical input there was no audio.

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 04/11/06 10:10 PM

Does anybody else experience a grid like pattern on the screen on top of the TV picture when getting the no audio problem? Whenever it happens I need to turn the unit on and off manually and then the picture and sound fixes itself.

The newest problem I'm having now is that after getting the no audio problem and manually turning it on and off, it then produces sound but inexplicably goes into Stereo surround mode instead of the Dolby Pro Logic II mode which it should have returned.

I hope the fix this thing soon, way too many problems...

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 04/29/06 07:03 PM

I've experienced something like this in the past as well. I've also had the "mode sticking" problem. That is, when I wanted to change to a different listening mode (DD to stereo), it wouldn't.
Ragnar

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 04/29/06 07:05 PM

HAS THERE BEEN ANY MOVEMENT ON THIS ISSUE? OUTLAWS, PLEASE GIVE US AN UPDATE. THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR MONTHS NOW.
THANKS,
RAGNAR

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 04/29/06 08:33 PM

I'm starting to think there isn't a "software" fix for this.

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 04/30/06 08:23 AM

For what its worth, I tried using an analog connection versus a digital on my DirecTV R15 and still the same no audio problem, which seesm to rule out the problem with the digital signal.

Is the OUTLAW fix to simply have to keep manually hitting the standby button on and off every time you want to us the system?

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 04/30/06 09:46 AM

When my unit locks up is when I need to shut it down and power up again. With the no audio issue, I'm "usually" able to cycle through the audio modes (full circle) and then it'll work. But once in a while it will lock up for no apparent reason and have no audio.

I don't understand it... the 970's just a quirky unit.

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 05/01/06 02:54 PM

I'm a big Outlaw fan, but this is becoming disappointing. The silence from Outlaw is also annoying. In the past, I have always lauded Outlaw as a high quality equipment provider with wonderful service. I have friends who have bought Outlaw on my recommendation and are happy with their purchases. However I must admit, that even considering the outstanding sound quality and some great features on the 1070, I wouldn't recommend a purchase at this time. I sincerely hope that Outlaw can come up with a fix in a more timely manner. This sentiment is written not so much for me, as it is for Outlaw.
Thanks,
Ragnar
Posted by: brubacca

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 05/01/06 08:54 PM

I always though that Outlaw tried to stay out of the forum? Scott will interject, but it seems that they are not active in the forums. If you feel this strongly you should make sure to keep a case open with Outlaw (If you have not). (I have not, to be honest).

Regards,

Charlie
Posted by: audioferret

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 05/12/06 02:54 PM

I take it that this is still a problem? I trust that the guys can fix it, but the lack of a post addressing the issue is disconcerting.

Is there anone that has not experienced this problem? Maybe it is a compatability issue with the player? Is it component-specific?
Posted by: PodBoy

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 05/13/06 12:52 PM

Looks like they have a solution,anyone try it out yet?
Posted by: Stewie Griffin

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 05/16/06 10:58 AM

I have been running the new update on my 1070 since I loaded it Friday night. Before I was getting 2 or 3 "no audio" dropouts a night, but it seems to be fixed now.

Just a warning to those who haven't done the upgrade yet. You need to reset the unit after the update. I didn't and for some reason I couldn't get any sound out of it until I did. It's been fine ever since.

S. Griff

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 05/16/06 12:12 PM

Great to hear. I hope this works for you all. My solution was to upgrade to a 990...a little more expensive than a firmware update but I couldn't wait smile .

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 05/16/06 12:50 PM

Sounds good, I'll update my unit as well once it goes official.
Posted by: Scott

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 05/16/06 04:05 PM

For those who are experiencing the "no audio" issue, I would encourage you to download and install this update as both internal and external beta test reports have been excellent.

Best,

Scott

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 05/17/06 03:43 PM

I've been running with the update for a few days now and NO PROBLEMS! I've tried many times to screw the unit up by jumping from format to format and using all my inputs - no issues and it locks onto the various mode flags everytime.

Great, looks like we have a solution. Thanks Outlaw for coming through...
Ragnar

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 05/29/06 04:39 PM

Posted by: Integratedj

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 05/30/06 06:51 PM

I have 990, and made a thread in that forum about the exact same "No audio" problems. I can very slightly hear my sub only when it occurs. After reading this entire thread, I know it is not just a 970 issue, but also applies to the 990. I have the newest firmware update, and am still having the issue.

Sometimes it occurs when first powering on the unit on, other times it is simply when I switch inputs. Does not matter if it is from Digital to digital switching, or analog to digital switching. It is completely random as well, as I can not recreate it by repeating the same process that caused the glitch before. I have tried everything I can to do so in an attempt to aid trouble shooting, but since it seems to be completely random it makes it a bit difficult.

Seriously, for the price of these units they should be bug free, at least on something this simple.

I install Theater and Automation systems for a living, and routinly use the same equipment for clients that I have at home as far as Sat receiver models, (Mine being the Directv H20) and DVD players being Denon, Onkyo, and Integra. I have had the bug with every one of these pieces of equipment at home, but never on different sytems out in the field, so simply saying it is a source device doesn't cut it, and sounds more like a cop out way of not dealing with the issue at hand. If it was a source device issue, then why is it that the cheapest POS sony box system receiver doesn't have the same issue with the same source components?

I am going to try tonight and see one last time if I can see a pattern to the glitch. Hopefully something can be done about it as it gets incredibly annoying having to turn a system off and then back on to correct the issue. Especially when I am showing off my system to either perspective clients, or my family members who come to me on what equipment to buy for themselves. Kinda hard to push Outlaw as being a great deal for great equipment when they sit there and watch it glitch like that.

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 05/30/06 08:43 PM

If there's a 990 issue, it is competely unrelated to the problem that the 970 has had - the two platforms are completely independent products.

Have you contact Outlaw about this? If not, I'm afraid they may be a little hectic this week (much of their manpower is off on the west coast for the HE show), but it would be worthwhile to touch base with them on it - this is not an issue that I've heard about previously.
Posted by: Integratedj

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 05/31/06 12:19 AM

The issue I am having is exactly as stated above with the 970. The audio simply isn't there sometimes after switching inputs.
I'll give them a call next week when I have some time, but it seems odd that I can find an exact description of my issue on the 970.

I'll post back on what happens.

J

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 06/20/06 12:23 PM

I've had a couple of weeks to try the new update and my final verdict is that it really isn't that great of an improvement. I'd say at least 80% of the time when I turn the unit on in the morning, I get no audio and I have to turn it on and off manually to get it to work.

About the only thing that seems to work better is that I'm not getting any no audio issues when its up and running and I'm switching devices / channels. Like the other poster stated, it doesn't seem to matter if its a digital or analog source and its a problem on all of my components (Xbox 360, Directv R15, Comcast / Motorola HD box, and Pioneer 563-AS DVD Player).

I can't believe that more people aren't having issues with this unit and demanding a recall. Maybe I just have a lemon and I should call Outlaw and have them send out a replacement???
Posted by: drerob

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 06/20/06 02:00 PM

I have installed the latest firmware upgrade and still have the lost audio problem, but only when changing stations on my Samsung TS160 DirevTV/HDTV box. It hasn't been as frequent as before and changing to another station and back normally helps. I'm hopeful that the next firmware upgrade will finally solve everyone's problem. I previously had an older Denon receiver and did not experience this problem.

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 06/20/06 02:31 PM

Quote:
I can't believe that more people aren't having issues with this unit and demanding a recall. Maybe I just have a lemon and I should call Outlaw and have them send out a replacement??? [/QB]
I'm sure more people have these issues but they probably ignore them. Unfortunately, I've become numb to them as well.

The unit is buggy, been buggy from the beginning and I see Outlaw still hasn't fixed the problem with this latest firmware. Though I must admit, it isn't an official firmware release.

Re: Anybody still having No Audio Problems after upgrade? - 06/20/06 05:54 PM

I'm still having the problem about 50% of the time when I power up. It only happens when I power up though.