How many Outlaws are using the SMS-1?

Posted by: gooomz

How many Outlaws are using the SMS-1? - 01/06/09 07:48 PM

Just curious to know how many Outlaws are using the SMS-1?
Do you feel it made a big improvement in bass response?

thanks in advance.
newb
Posted by: nfaguys

Re: How many Outlaws are using the SMS-1? - 01/06/09 09:14 PM

I use it with LFM-1 and 990
Yes. Improvement.
Posted by: gonk

Re: How many Outlaws are using the SMS-1? - 01/06/09 11:15 PM

I've got one that I'm using with an LFM-1, and I've got some detailed comments here . How much difference it makes will depend on your room and how it is employed. A well-behaved room or one with lots of frequency dips (which are hard to fix with any form of EQ) may not yield huge differences, while a room with peaks can be much improved with just a little effort. My room was fairly well-behaved, and I did notice an improvement with the SMS-1.
Posted by: tmdlp

Re: How many Outlaws are using the SMS-1? - 01/07/09 10:29 PM

+1 here.

Yes - plus i can see more - though limited 20-200Hz - room response when moving sub around.
Posted by: Gib

Re: How many Outlaws are using the SMS-1? - 01/10/09 04:31 PM

I have mine hooked up to a Definitive Technologies Reference Sub and the two powered subs in my Definitive Tech Mythos STS Towers. Huge improvement and I have not started to tweak yet!

Samsung 67" LED DLP
Definitive Tech Mythos 7.1 sys.
Denon 5800 AVR
Denon DVP-602CI Video Processor/Scaler
Denon DVD-3800BDCI Blu-Ray
Sony DVP-S9000ES DVD
Sony DVP-S7700 Ref CD
Velodyne SMS-1
Luxman & Dual Turntables
2 Monster Power 5100 MKII
etc, etc
Posted by: Nalod

Re: How many Outlaws are using the SMS-1? - 01/13/09 07:45 PM

I have it, its scares me.
Posted by: Dan Marchewka

Re: How many Outlaws are using the SMS-1? - 01/20/09 01:13 AM

Yes, I use mine. I was using it with my 970 initially, but then switched it over to my 2-channel pre-amp. It made a bigger difference there, than it did with my 970.
Posted by: Dan Marchewka

Re: How many Outlaws are using the SMS-1? - 01/20/09 01:17 AM

I forgot to mention that I am using an Elemental Design A7-900 sub.
Posted by: Brad225

Re: How many Outlaws are using the SMS-1? - 01/26/09 10:08 PM

I use one with my 990 and 2 LFM-1's. Even with numerous bass traps and acoustical panels it makes a big difference with the low end.
Posted by: Jeff Mackwood

Re: How many Outlaws are using the SMS-1? - 01/28/09 03:23 AM

I have one hooked-up in my main HT. It looks very pretty on my shelf. Other than that it has absolutely no effect on the sound in my system. Some day I hope to have a room / sub combination that does not have perfect bass response to start with so that I can put the SMS-1 to good use! smile
Posted by: tkntz

Re: How many Outlaws are using the SMS-1? - 01/28/09 05:13 PM

Jeff,

Quote:
Some day I hope to have a room / sub combination that does not have perfect bass response to start with
Nice problem to have!

There's alway's Audiogon...
Posted by: DaveR

Re: How many Outlaws are using the SMS-1? - 02/17/09 03:01 PM

Just added the SMS-1 to my system. To say that it made a difference would be an understatement. Used in conjunction with Audyssey MultiEQ XT, which was implemented after SMS-1 setup, the overall audible/acoustic improvement in my system was significant..on a scale of 1-10, it was an 8.5!
Posted by: DaleB

Re: How many Outlaws are using the SMS-1? - 06/05/09 04:13 PM

I am using the Anti-Mode 8033B with my LFM-1EX..I find it very easy to use and very effective. I have read reviews comparing it with the SMS-1 and the reviewers found it to be just as effective but a better value, and since it's self-calibrating much easier to setup.

Of course, right now with the latest promos, the SMS-1 is a good value.

The whole purpose of the 8033 is to match the sub to the room. It works with multiple subs also.

Maybe a more difficult room would benefit more from more manual manipulation. Not having used the SMS-1 I can not make that comparison at this point.

But it's good to have options!
Posted by: cp1966

Re: How many Outlaws are using the SMS-1? - 06/07/09 03:33 AM

Does the SMS-1 need to be continuously hooked up between a pre-amp (Outlaw 990) and a sub after it has been "run" and "set-up"?
Posted by: gonk

Re: How many Outlaws are using the SMS-1? - 06/07/09 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cp1966:
Does the SMS-1 need to be continuously hooked up between a pre-amp (Outlaw 990) and a sub after it has been "run" and "set-up"?
Yes. Check out Outlaw\'s guide to see how it integrates into the overall system.
Posted by: Animo

Re: How many Outlaws are using the SMS-1? - 08/21/10 01:21 PM

After initial confusion with set up and calibrating, I have become very fond of my SMS, paired with my 970 and eD A7s-650 sub.
Posted by: illthreat

Re: How many Outlaws are using the SMS-1? - 08/24/10 11:06 AM

I just purchased an SMS-1 & Final Sound sub combo. Although I'm not using the Final Sound subs in the same theater.

Paired the SMS-1 up to my LFM-1 EX and LFM-compact 10" subs.

Works really well when you take the time to set it up fully. I used a few other pieces of equipment to measure standing waves in the room. The SMS-1 has certainly helped and it's great to have a sub controller off the AVR.
Posted by: Baramon!

Re: How many Outlaws are using the SMS-1? - 02/07/11 02:53 PM

Would like to take some time to run it manually but find the auto mode to be very effective. The outlaw guide is nice and maybe I'll take some time to try it again sometime soon.

Its been some time since I have used it "naked" but it went from boomy to nice very quick.

Naturally the room is not fully calibrated. I recently pulled out the mike and let it adjust itself. This time I moved the mike 7 over to the right of my "SPOT" as it was boomy over there. Did not effect my preffered "SPOT" and it did correct.

Running two subs, a M&K 850 kept up front for and the LFM-1EX beast in the back wall. They are set up for visual placements to coordinate with furniture placement. The EQ keeps it all balanced. Nice thing about the sub being wired in the back I can daisy chain from the output to add some bass shakers to the couch.
Posted by: stevtone

Re: How many Outlaws are using the SMS-1? - 11/15/11 12:27 PM

I have been using the SMS-1 for a couple of weeks now. It has tightened up my bass pretty dramatically, however seemingly at the expense of some of the "fullness" and depth of the soundfield that I had been experiencing prior. Perhaps some of the tweeking necessary in my room to get the bass right sacrifices some extension in other frequencies that I had enjoyed in the past, however with boomier and somewhat more bloat to the bass. Has anyone else experienced similar results? If so, any suggestions? Perhaps its just a question of tweeking more and playing around until I can get a more satisfying combination.
Posted by: Bob Becker

Re: How many Outlaws are using the SMS-1? - 11/17/11 09:51 AM

Have you tried the "where should I put my sub" trick with the SMS-1? If not, the position you have chosen might be the problem.

Put the sub where you sit and move the SMS-1's mic around the room to see where you get the best, i.e. most even response. Then put the sub there and tune the SMS-1 to the room.
Posted by: stevtone

Re: How many Outlaws are using the SMS-1? - 11/21/11 04:20 PM

Unfortunately, my room is only 12x12 (a problem unto itself) and the sub is positioned in probably the only spot possible. However, since I posted that first note, I have continued to tweek and become more familiar with manually adjusting the SMS-1. It is much improved, however, far from perfect. I am still enjoying an improvement overall in the sound since before purchasing the SMS-1.