2 Subs 2 SMS-1s ?

Posted by: Son of Sonny

2 Subs 2 SMS-1s ? - 02/16/06 09:48 PM

If I am going to use 2 Subwoofers in stereo mode to properly equalize them will I need 2 SMS-1s?
If I need to clarify this please let me know.
Posted by: gonk

Re: 2 Subs 2 SMS-1s ? - 02/16/06 10:47 PM

It's an interesting question, and there are a couple ways to look at it. Probably the most imporant factor is whether or not your two subs are truly in a stereo configuration (each getting a different signal).

Two subs that share a common signal are a simpler case to consider. On the one hand, using two SMS-1's would let you equalize each one separately so that each had a smooth response and each had its phase adjusted as optimally as possible. On the other hand, the overall system response is the underlying goal, and a single SMS-1 can pretty reasonably achieve that with two subs sharing a common signal.

If you truly have two stereo subwoofers (meaning each gets a separate signal, one paired to the left channel and one paired to the right channel), you would probably want to use two SMS-1's because the SMS-1 produces a mono subwoofer output. Using a single SMS-1 would require you to sacrifice the stereo signals.
Posted by: Son of Sonny

Re: 2 Subs 2 SMS-1s ? - 02/16/06 11:07 PM

Thank you gonk!
A simple answer to what I hoped would be a simple question. Yes my subs will be in true stereo. One to the left channel and one to the right. When this endeavor starts I am sure I will have some more questions. For now you have answered what I need. I hope these SMS-1s are all they are cracked up to be and I can achieve a better overall system response with them then doing it manually.