Video/Audio tuning DVD

Posted by: Scott R. Burns

Video/Audio tuning DVD - 12/13/03 12:06 AM

Does anyone have any comments on using something like www.videoessentials.com
to setup front projection video and surround levels ?
Posted by: boblinds

Re: Video/Audio tuning DVD - 12/13/03 12:17 AM

Yes.

Do you want to hear them?

OK.

It's a worthy activity, particularly for front projection owners. You'll most likely end up with a video image that initially seems a bit dimmer than you're used to, but you'll ultimately see that it is more faithful to the clarity and detail of the image.

Audio checking is also worthwhile to verify correct phase and -- if you use a sound level meter -- to properly balance all the surround channels.
Posted by: gonk

Re: Video/Audio tuning DVD - 12/13/03 09:02 AM

For the video, absolutely, without a doubt, definitely do it. Even my little 27" TV benefits from it. For the audio, definitely use a sound meter and either a disc like VE (now DVE) or the receiver's test tones.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review
Posted by: Embries

Re: Video/Audio tuning DVD - 12/13/03 11:28 PM

I prefer to use both the receiver's test tones and the dvd. I find that most receivers differ from the dvd test tones on most equipment. In this case it sort of depends on how much 'other' stuff you have as to which you would want to use as a reference point. If DVD is really the only multichannel source you use, then adjust according to the disc's test tones. If you have other multichannel soruces that you tend to use, tune to the receiver's test tones.
Posted by: tmdlp

Re: Video/Audio tuning DVD - 02/09/06 01:42 PM

I would say a definate 'yes'. Video is a must have ... besides calibrating your video, you learn more about what does what to a video signal.
Audio wise, i have found pre/pro - receivers set-ups are cool and get you in the ball park and on the playing feild. Testing from the sourse just seems like best practice. Since we watch dvds from our dvd player(multi-channel music too), I like to include this in the test/setup signal path.
Therefore, IMO - a test DVD is just as important as a sound meter.