Done with the Buggy 1070

Posted by: JHoff80

Done with the Buggy 1070 - 12/12/08 06:21 PM

Well, on Monday I gave up on the buggy 1070 and ordered a new receiver (Denon AVR1909), for half the price, which has all of the HDMI features I needed and sounds pretty good too. I have to say that I give the edge on sound quality to the 1070, but the Audyssey features are great (I know the purists won't like that part but multiEQ sounds really good to me) and help make up part of that gap, and the bugs of the 1070 and the HDMI features mean I'll be keeping the Denon.

Anyway, I was just curious, what about the rest of the 1070 owners. Do you plan on keeping the 1070 still, or have you replaced it / are you replacing it in the near future?
Posted by: nomoneybutgoodsound

Re: Done with the Buggy 1070 - 12/13/08 05:20 AM

Had a 970, but had to replace it with a 2808 - the 970 was too "glitchy". I did n't know if some awful noise would come out when I turned it on. Overall, I think I like the sound of the 970 but the 2808 has a few more features that make up for it. The Audyssey works well, I prefer to use the Front L/R bypass.

The 970 is presently on loan in a real fancy home theatre. So it still works. The fellow using it only has two sources, and he's happy with it. I will probably replace the 2808 with the 997 and move the 2808 into the living room. I have a good and understanding wife.

Overall, the 970 was a big improvement, but I just can't risk something else possibly being damaged by the harsh noise that occasionally is being emitted via speakers. It was really too bad because for music it was great.
Posted by: JHoff80

Re: Done with the Buggy 1070 - 12/13/08 07:33 AM

Yeah, mine pretty much entirely stopped turning on on the first press of the power button, and I've had that strange noise a few times. I'm not sure whether I'm going to attempt selling it or just save it for possible future use yet, but we'll see.
Posted by: og33

Re: Done with the Buggy 1070 - 12/13/08 11:30 AM

I had some issues with the 1070 I had (locking up a couple times) but I went with a 970 ultimately since I wanted separates. The 970 also had lock up issues (which were resolved by Outlaw though!) I sold my 970/7125 combo and went with a low end Onkyo 606 receiver for the short term as a stopgap until the 997 is available since I wanted HDMI capability and Audyssey (and wanted to do it on the cheap!). I can't say I'm thrilled with it's sq for music, but it's pretty good for movies. It's ok for a short term fix, but I really miss the power and presence that the 7125 provides.
Posted by: chas

Re: Done with the Buggy 1070 - 12/13/08 02:50 PM

I went through two 1070's and a 970 before giving up on that platform. I now use a Denon 2808. The Denon is nice and performs flawlessly. I did prefer the sound of the 1070...and would love to see a new, bug-free version.
Posted by: Laventura

Re: Done with the Buggy 1070 - 12/14/08 06:08 AM

My 1070 is still running...and will be staying right where it's at cool ...
since the last firmware...with some minor protocol using it...I've kept lock-ups&system freeze to a minimum( I actually don't remember the last time it gave me problems)
the music sounds so sweet...
still don't miss the old Yamaha laugh
Posted by: John Galt

Re: Done with the Buggy 1070 - 12/17/08 02:41 AM

I'll be keeping my 1070 into the forseeable future. Fortunately, I haven't been stricken by the bugs other than some occasional audio drop-outs that was resolved with the last firmware upgrade.

The sound is excellent and with the optional full digital processing (including distance settings, channel trim and 10dB sub adjustment) on the analog inputs I'm all set when I eventually take the hi-def audio plunge.

-John
Posted by: RedSIinPA

Re: Done with the Buggy 1070 - 12/18/08 03:00 PM

I'm sticking with it and I've had all the bugs and then some. But to me, it's just worth it for the sound quality. I think the new Oppo BD player will really help extend the life of my 1070 by providing me a player that does HD movie playback, as well as DVD-A and SACD. That's one player on my mc analog inputs, and will give me decoded HD sound formats. No need for HDMI then. I'm excited.
Posted by: Lizard King

Re: Done with the Buggy 1070 - 12/24/08 05:31 AM

I still use my 1070/Anthem MCA 5 II for HT without issues. Did you update firmware?
Posted by: dvenardos

Re: Done with the Buggy 1070 - 12/24/08 05:46 PM

I have a 970 and will be keeping it for HT and adding a two-channel pre-amp with HT bypass for music. I would rather spend the money on two-channel than upgrade to the 997. I recently added an Outlaw ICBM (fantastic product) so I am set for analog bass management on all channels.
Posted by: LittleRockGator

Re: Done with the Buggy 1070 - 01/05/09 01:21 AM

I'm getting rid of mine also in my main system... I've updated the firmware, still have the quirky issues.... no audio, in order to power up have to select multiple times and/or unplug-replug, loud hissing noise at times, etc. All of which are very embarrassing when have guests over & I'm the "audio" guy of the group... I'm replacing it w/a Rotel 1075 amp that I recently purchased & an Emotiva Pre/Pro the MMC-1 or whatever pre/pro they have after I saved enough $$...

As others have stated, the sound quality of the 1070 is AWESOME so I'm keeping it around for a second application in my basement...
Posted by: outlaw nut

Re: Done with the Buggy 1070 - 11/19/11 10:03 PM

still have mine & keeping it smile