Latest beta firmware

Posted by: SP72

Latest beta firmware - 03/12/07 03:35 PM

Is latest beta firmware pre-installed for the recent shipment of 1070?
Mine will be arrived on next friday. Do I have to update to the latest firmware to fix the " no audio " problem?
Posted by: gonk

Re: Latest beta firmware - 03/12/07 04:04 PM

The beta firmware will not be pre-installed, but it's worth installing as it appears to have eliminated or substantially reduced the instances of "no audio."
Posted by: chas

Re: Latest beta firmware - 03/14/07 08:50 AM

Is there an official thread with feedback on the effectiveness of the latest beta firmware? Anyone still having issues?

Re: Latest beta firmware - 03/14/07 09:15 AM

There has been very little discussion of it. I found this thread and this thread in the 970 forum.

Re: Latest beta firmware - 03/14/07 09:48 AM

Thanks Gonk....sounds promising from the little response that is out there. If it's fixed I may just have to pick up another 1070!
Posted by: Laventura

Re: Latest beta firmware - 03/14/07 03:53 PM

sorry to be the bearer of bad news...
but I've had two ''no-audio'' events...with the latest firmware...both when turning on unit...
once while simultaneously turning on unit and unplugging headphones...
That's a big NO NO...
and the other time...it turned on ...
but remained unmoved from either remote or front panel volume controls...
volume was stuck at -40 and wouldn't budge
I could switch sources...
but no audio was getting through anywhere...
both times shutting down the unit from the rear panel switch and then turning it on fixed it...
it's been a couple weeks now and I haven't had it since...
and even if it happens again...I'll forward the available info to the Outlaws...as I did the last time...
and I'll still love my 1070... cool

Re: Latest beta firmware - 03/14/07 04:16 PM

bummer

Re: Latest beta firmware - 03/14/07 04:19 PM

Yeah, that's no fun... The second case sounds different than the "no audio" situation that the firmware beta was addressing, since the volume control was also stuck and switching sources didn't resolve matters - sounds more like a lock-up of some sort. Either way, keep Outlaw in the loop as you've been doing and we'll see where it takes us.
Posted by: Lizard King

Re: Latest beta firmware - 03/14/07 04:49 PM

I just installed the Beta firmware today. The process took approximately 3 minutes. I do not have my HDTV yet. I still need to complete my shelves and get the speakers tehn power up the 1070.

Re: Latest beta firmware - 03/15/07 12:45 PM

I Think that would be nice if Outlaw will move the RS-232 port to the front in the future model. It may make the unit does not look good as is but who care, we are here for the good sound quality and easy software upgrade.
Any though?

Re: Latest beta firmware - 03/15/07 01:22 PM

Both the 990 and the 1070/970 require you to access something on the rear panel to initiate a firmware update (reset button on the 1070/970 and a SVC/OPR switch on the 990), so you would still have to get back there with your hand. What I've done is leave a cable connected and tucked away alongside my 990 (USB in my case, although an RS-232 could be left in place the same way) so that all I have to do is get to that switch. The RS-232 port on the 990 also offers a control interface and the USB port on it doubles as an audio input, so both are probably best left on the rear panel.

Having said all of that, if a future product were to rely only on USB for the firmware update and the rear panel switch could be eliminated, it's possible that a USB port could be integrated into the front jack pack without making a mess of the front panel. It's not a bad idea. There might be interest in having a second USB on the back if it provides an audio input - probably identified as USB1 and USB2 or with each restricted to a single purpose - which would mean we'd be looking at some additional cost.
Posted by: Bob Becker

Re: Latest beta firmware - 03/15/07 02:53 PM

I installed the firmware update a few weeks ago. I am still having no audio problems when I turn on my TV, which feeds into the 1070 AUX inputs for audio, and the 1070 one after the other. I haven't tested whether it happens only when the TV goes on first or the 1070 goes on first, but it's definitely there. If I get no audio and then turn the 1070 off and on again the audio appears.

I have also had a problem with audio dropping out for short periods. I will be watching something, either a DVD or TV, and the audio disappears for a second or two before returning. This usually starts several minutes after I turn on the 1070 and occurs at irregular intervals. Turning the 1070 off and back on seems to fix it. But the problem is irritating nonetheless.

I really hope Outlaw is working on a fix for these issues that really will make a difference.
Posted by: RedSIinPA

Re: Latest beta firmware - 03/15/07 03:24 PM

Granted I haven't run any updates yet, but i found the problem manifesting itself in new ways:

Watching FiOS cable, with it hooked into the 1070 via optical 2 on Video 2, if I switch to On Demand with the FiOS remote to view what's out there, I've lost audio. It starts working only if I power down the Outlaw and power it back up.

Switching surround modes...if I'm cycling the surround modes, I sometimes won't get audio in certain modes like Dolby Digital or Stereo 2.0. But if I cycle through the loop again, it will work the second time around.

These are the new methods I'm seeing the problem. The old method to get it to occur is when I load a DVD into the Xbox to watch a movie. I'll have sound (Optical 1 set to Video 1) all the way up until the DVD initializes, and then it drops. I have to bounce off input DVD and back and sometimes that fixes it, or cycling the power on the Outlaw will fix it. It's a minor nuisance but sometimes a little embarrassing when I'm showboating the system to family smile
Posted by: Tom899

Re: Latest beta firmware - 03/16/07 07:50 AM

I will be installing the beta firmware in April on my 1070 and will report the results. I'm redoing my system so it hasn't been used since Christmas. When I was using it though, it was very repeatable that there would be no audio the first time it was turned on each day. Cycling the power usually took care of it.
Posted by: mandor101

Re: Latest beta firmware - 04/04/07 11:29 PM

Re: Latest beta firmware - 04/11/07 02:03 AM

I installed the beta firmware last week and have not had a "no audio" episode since.
Tom
Posted by: RedSIinPA

Re: Latest beta firmware - 04/11/07 03:44 PM

Great, thanks for the update, Tom. I'm hopeful I have the same result.

Re: Latest beta firmware - 04/18/07 12:08 AM

Well unfortunately I still have the no audio problem. When I turn it on for the first time after being off all night I have no audio, I turn it off and back on, then it is ok.
Tom
Posted by: Alexandru Mihaita

Re: Latest beta firmware - 04/26/07 08:51 PM

Guys, what's going on here? What's the magic Outlaw has that makes us put up with all this?
I couldn't have imagined myself waiting patiently to receive a new flash ROM chip first in order to be able to perform the upgrade.
In the meantime, my unit gives me the "no audio" every now and then, once it swapped front L/R channels with the suround ones and applied a significant delay between the center and right channel, such as I heard an echo. I had to turn the unit off and on from the remote and everything went back to normal. I have it only for two weeks now and only God knows why I haven't sent it back yet...
Could the good sound at the price point explain all these? Hard to tell. And yet, I'm still having the unit in my house.
Could someone explain this to me, please? ;-)

Re: Latest beta firmware - 04/26/07 10:42 PM

What's worse...is that you might get the famed ''no-Audio'' issue...even once you do the upgrade...
but cheer up...It seems to be better....much better... laugh

Re: Latest beta firmware - 04/29/07 02:05 AM

Look like the audio bug will not be fixed by the firmware update without returning the unit back to the factory.

See my posted below in the 970 forum.

Quote:
Gonk,
After review the below Errata of the CS42528 from Cirrus website, look like the "no audio" issues is causing by the DAC circuitry and the firmware fix will not resolve the whole problems without some minor hardware modifications (including PCB layout).

I talked to Steve couple weeks ago and he is really confident that is just a software probems and it will be fixed.

I just returned my 1070 to get the 970/7075/LFM-2 combo and installed the same beta firmware. The no audio issues happen more often than my old 1070. It is also explain why the no audio problem is causing by the CS42528 DAC implementation.

Hopefully my assumption is wrong and Outlaw will release an official firmware fix soon, that will make a lot of folks here happy.

http://www.cirrus.com/en/pubs/errata/ER586D1.pdf
http://www.cirrus.com/en/pubs/errata/ER586C3.pdf
http://www.cirrus.com/en/pubs/errata/ER586A2.pdf

Re: Latest beta firmware - 04/29/07 01:30 PM

I still think that's an unfounded assumption. If it were a problem that a chip or board replacement fixed, they could have done it last year and been done with it. It would have been no different than the DTS-ES fix that they did with the 950 (which lacked a serial port).

Re: Latest beta firmware - 05/01/07 01:48 PM

Well...
reports of "no audio" after the upgrade exist
errata from Cirrus exist
Steve is no longer with Outlaw

No so sure what to believe anymore. Today is May 1, I received my unit on April 13 and I haven't gotten it fixed yet (Steve was supposed to send me a memory chip, but, according to Scott, he failed to do so as the day he talked to me was his last day with Outlaw Audio). This doesn't warm me up too much. I'm the sucker with a faulty unit in my house, still waiting for a replacement component from Outlaw, using the receiver with the remote in my hand, for if during watching an HD channel a commercial in stereo kicks in, I have to bounce the sources in order to restore the sound (not always, but I gotta be ready).
When I asked Scott (after he realized that Steve left me hanging) to send me the chip via a faster carrier than USPS he said that it's too expensive to do so for such a small item. By comparison, when Audio Advisor failed to send me what they promised and I called them next day to complain that I didn't get the shipping notification via email, they apologized and sent me the item "next day air", to make up for their error, and that was a heavy subwoofer, for which FedEx next day air amounted to $60.
Wouldn't a company with "great customer support" try to quickly compensate for any errors on their side?
Would you consider "great service" waiting for two weeks to have an item you bought new to get fixed?
Would you consider "great service" for a company to send you the replacement chip rather than offering "on the spot" to have the unit returned on their dime and fixed by them? I'm technical enough to pull out a chip and insert the other, that's why I accepted Steve's request to do the replacement myself, but still, I don't even imagine a strong company attempting such a thing during the first 30 days after the purchase.
Please convince me that my experience with Outlaw is an unfortunate exception and that they're worth to be with...
Posted by: Scott

Re: Latest beta firmware - 05/01/07 03:42 PM

Hello Alexandru,

It was nice speaking with you again today. As we discussed I do want to reiterate my deepest apologies for your experiences thus far.

That said, I do think there was a "bit" of miscommunication here, which I do take responsibility for.

Unfortunately, USPS should have been just as fast as an express shipment through Fed Ex or UPS (based on your location).

As there was some concern that the shipment had been mishandled by the USPS, it was my understanding that your were worried with the reliability of that carrier. Since I was confident this was not the case, we shipped via the USPS.

That said, I'm confident you'll be up and running in no time and thus back in love with Outlaw Audio and your gear. I will stay in direct contact with you until then.

Best Regards,

Scott

Re: Latest beta firmware - 05/01/07 05:30 PM

Scott will take care of you, Alex.

Massachusetts to Pennsylvania... Knowing how much of a hassle FedEx can be with home deliveries sometimes, I can see where USPS might be preferred when the travel distance is so small and time savings potentially nonexistent (Priority Mail has gotten a couple packages to me from the west coast to Tennessee in two business days lately).

Re: Latest beta firmware - 05/01/07 05:44 PM

Hi Scott,

I'm in total agreement to share the responsibility for the miscommunication you mention about choosing USPS over FedEx or UPS.

Yes, I was concerned mostly about of the lack of a tracking feature with regular USPS, but by that I meant that a tracking number would have covered ANY delays, including the ones happening at Outlaw (and I was, unfortunately, right, the package didn't leave when it was supposed to, as I've learned today, not that this is any of your personal fault). Without a tracking number, one is left guessing what might have happened when the awaited package doesn't arrive in due time. Was it shipped late or at all, lost in transit, or what? When this uncertainty falls on top of frustration generated by a malfunctioning unit, it's easy to understand my feelings...

Since I didn't stress hard enough why I was preferring FedEx or UPS over USPS and your choice of USPS was allowing for the package to eventually arrive on Saturday without being otherwise slower, I will take back my implied statement that "you chose the cheapest carrier just to save a dollar or two" and I'm happy to share, or even to assume, the blame for the miscommunication. Let this be the least of our concerns. Everything else, though, stays.

Let's hope that the USPS package which left Outlaw Audio on Monday instead of Friday will arrive tomorrow.
Let's hope that the upgrade will work and that the "no audio" issue will become a thing of the past and that these almost three weeks of frustration will be fully compensated by the great sound the unit is capable of and then some.
Let's hope that this poor start of mine with Outlaw audio will turn into a nice and happy long-run relationship.

Re: Latest beta firmware - 05/01/07 11:37 PM

I sure hope it all works out for you.... laugh
that 1070 sounds so good...

Re: Latest beta firmware - 05/05/07 07:48 PM

In all honesty and fairness I feel compelled to write this message.

Today I have received the replacement unit which was already upgraded by Scott with the latest firmware. The result is an Outlaw 1070 FREE of the now infamous "no audio" bug, at least as far as I've experienced. And I've tried all the scenarios that were exposing it before, with the stock firmware. The unit didn't flinch. It didn't lose its grip on the audio format no matter what. I believe this latest firmware is a winner over the "no audio" bug.

As far as Outlaw Audio customer service goes, this time they lived up to their reputation. Everything Scott said was delivered "verbatimely", via overnight delivery and Saturday delivery. Quite a feast.

When I was displeased with Outlaw Audio, albeit there was a misunderstanding in there too and my situation was a pretty odd line-up of mishaps, I mentioned Audio Advisor for comparison. I'll do it again, this time reversed. AA won't send the replacement unit unless the one to be replaced was already received by them or you would be billed twice, with them crediting your credit card upon receiving the replaced unit. Outlaw Audio sent me the replacement unit before receiving the "faulty" one and without billing me twice. On this one, they rose above AA.

Bottom line, my hopes came true. This is a happy-ending story in spite of a less-than-happy start.

At this point I am a very satisfied customer.

PS I'll also use this opportunity to mention something else about Audio Advisor. They proved to be a true advisor for me. They mentioned Outlaw Audio to me in spite of the fact that they don't carry their products and there was no profit for them in mentioning Outlaw...

Re: Latest beta firmware - 05/05/07 08:53 PM

Glad to hear that things are worked out!

Re: Latest beta firmware - 05/06/07 12:00 AM

That's great news Alex...thanks for the update!
Posted by: nik,martin

Re: Latest beta firmware - 05/13/07 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Laventura:
sorry to be the bearer of bad news...
but I've had two ''no-audio'' events...with the latest firmware...both when turning on unit...
once while simultaneously turning on unit and unplugging headphones...
That's a big NO NO...
and the other time...it turned on ...
but remained unmoved from either remote or front panel volume controls...
volume was stuck at -40 and wouldn't budge
I could switch sources...
but no audio was getting through anywhere...
I have a 1070 with a serious no audio problem, and the firmware did not fix it. My unit has no audio 99% of the time. The fix for me is to put it in standby and then quickly select an input source, turning it back on. I love the unit but would NEVER recommend one knowing the problems the unit might have. It's a shame, cause the 1070 had such promise.

Re: Latest beta firmware - 05/13/07 10:18 AM

I'm sorry to read about your woes nik...
have you contacted Outlaw with that ?
maybe your unit has supplemental issues...

My problems with the 1070 haven't been as bad as yours....
I still love my 1070...even when it throws a fit and won't respond...

Re: Latest beta firmware - 05/13/07 10:28 PM

I'm perplexed. According to gonk (and there is no reason to doubt his knowledge, he seems to know everything related to Outlaw Audio), model 1070 was launched almost two years ago. And it still exhibits the "no audio" bug after such a long period of time?
I could explain this in one of these two ways.

1. There is something wrong with the Cirrus Logic DSP chip and Outlaw either can do nothing about it or tries to work around an error in the chip, to avoid a costly recall.
2. The team writing the firmware simply cannot rise to the task. I apologize to the software team if I'm wrong (I am myself a programmer and software designer, with over 20 years in the field, I know how tough it is out there, but I also know how badly code is written some times).

Nevertheless, almost two years...

Re: Latest beta firmware - 05/14/07 12:44 AM

This is a major hardware design problem (CS42528 DAC implementation) and Outlaw try to work around by a software fix to avoid a costly recall.

I think the software team did a great job but nothing they can do without a hardware modification.

I decide to keep my 970 and I will not expect any fix just by a firmware upgrade any time in the future.

The audio bug will live with the 1070/970 until this porduct will be discontinued.

Re: Latest beta firmware - 05/14/07 01:39 AM

Well, the "no audio bug" didn't actually arise until early 2006 or so (shortly after the 970 launch, which was several months after the late summer/early fall 2005 launch of the 1070). That puts it at more than one year, but much less than two.

Here's the best explanation that I have been able to come up with, based on my observations of the firmware releases and previous Outlaw product support. The bug was very difficult to reproduce and isolate, so the firmware team was chasing a ghost for a good chunk of 2006. The beta released earlier this year seemed to make significant improvements for most users, but I'm told they haven't quit yet.

Would they suck it up and deal with a hardware-related recall if it came to that? History says yes - they did exactly that with the 950. Like everyone here (including Outlaw), I'd love to see a final, iron-clad resolution to this, whether purely software-based or a mix of software and hardware.

Re: Latest beta firmware - 05/16/07 10:00 PM

Was there any report of any audio-related bug that's not "total" and thus immediately identifiable?
I mean, was there a case of someone reporting too low a level in the surround speakers which got restored after the system was cycled, like it's the case with the "no audio" bug?
Seeing the "no audio" bug still rearing its ugly head after such a long time plus other firmware-related issues, I tend to lose confidence in the unit.
Having "no audio" is immediately identifiable, but too low a surround level, that might be legit or not.
I was watching the NBA playoffs and I realized a significant increase in surround sound loudness when the transmission in 3/2.1 resumed after a commercial in Dolby 2 channel mode. The problem was that before the commercial I was feeling that the sports arena atmosphere was missing, but I thought that that's the way the transmission was. When after the commercial interruption the sound came to what I was expecting, I became aware of yet another POTENTIAL manifestation of the buggy firmware/1070 combination.
I do hope that I'm imagining things, for a total audio interruption I could live with, but not to trust that the unit fairly reproduces what it's supposed to even when it's working, that's too much to bear.
Am I alone on this one?

Re: Latest beta firmware - 05/16/07 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexandru Mihaita:
I was watching the NBA playoffs and I realized a significant increase in surround sound loudness when the transmission in 3/2.1 resumed after a commercial in Dolby 2 channel mode. The problem was that before the commercial I was feeling that the sports arena atmosphere was missing, but I thought that that's the way the transmission was. When after the commercial interruption the sound came to what I was expecting, I became aware of yet another POTENTIAL manifestation of the buggy firmware/1070 combination.
My faith in broadcasters getting HD broadcasts right typically approaches negative numbers - I've had local affiliates strip the left and right channels out of a 5.1 signal and send them out as Dolby 2.0 (leaving the center channel dialog in data limbo). Since I've not heard of any similar problems from 1070 or 970 owners, I would suspect the broadcast and not the processor.

Re: Latest beta firmware - 05/16/07 11:52 PM

That's darn good news. And coming from you, gonk, I have no doubt that it might have been the broadcast.
Now, on a different note, how comes Outlaw and Sherwood shared the same blueprint for what was to become the 990? What's the tie between them?

Re: Latest beta firmware - 05/17/07 02:48 AM

Sherwood is an old US brand that was bought some years ago by Korean corporation Etronics - they now use it as their "in-house" brand, but they also manufacture for lots of other people (I suspect that Sherwood makes up a relatively small portion of their total manufacturing volume). Etronics developed the P-965 platform, and when Outlaw started contemplating a successor to the Model 950 they found that the P-965 was a very good foundation that they could modify relatively readily into something that met their goals well. As a result, Outlaw partnered with Etronics, modified the P-965, and the 990 was born.