1070 Sound Quality?

Posted by: Lizard King

1070 Sound Quality? - 01/14/07 04:46 AM

Hello,

I am thinking of getting this unit. May I ask all of you what you think of the SQ assuming you use a good recording and good speakers, wires, etc. How is the tonality, highs, lows, imaging, soundstage, etc? Does this sound like music, tubes or solid state?

Thanks
Posted by: Shawn Parr

Re: 1070 Sound Quality? - 01/14/07 09:37 PM

I'm very happy with my 1070, which I got as B-stock over summer. It is pretty neutral to my ear, maybe just a little dark, although I have an Anthony Gallo Nucleus Micro system which itself is a bit dark which has more bearing than the 1070 itself. Still the 1070 is a hair darker than my previous AVR.

My testosterone levels and brain tell me I want more power, but my ears don't seem to agree with that assessment. The sound stage is great, a well recorded vocal sound dead on real, and I have never felt a lack of power or volume, either with music or movies.

When I upgraded I was hoping to come up with a little extra to go with a 970 and 7075 combo, but I'm not at all disappointed in going with the 1070 instead.

Re: 1070 Sound Quality? - 01/14/07 09:50 PM

Thank you Shawn. When I am able to get one, I will have to get a top flight DVD player and have it modified to sound like real music and increase the output.

Liz
Posted by: Ragnar

Re: 1070 Sound Quality? - 01/15/07 10:38 AM

I've owned many many systems including a few HT receivers throughout the years, including an Arcam. I have to say that the 1070 is the best sounding piece of equipment I've ever had. Couple that with great Outlaw service and you really can't go wrong. I also have to agree with Lizard King's statement about wanting/needing more power: I enjoy loud sound, but the 1070 has never left me wanting.
Posted by: JHoff80

Re: 1070 Sound Quality? - 01/15/07 05:53 PM

I think the sound quality is amazing as well, with my Klipsch speakers. Honestly, if it wasn't for the amazing quality, I wouldn't put up with the other minor nagging issues that I've had. (Mostly just the no audio stuff, and sometimes locking up until the power is cycled, though I think that has to do with losing my optical digital signal.) The sound quality is so great that none of these issues matter.

Re: 1070 Sound Quality? - 01/15/07 07:59 PM

Ragnar and Jhoff80,

Thanks for your responses. It is hard to judge a product when you have never seen it, listened to it, etc. The feedback I am receiving is helping me make my decision.

Thanks again.
Posted by: RedSIinPA

Re: 1070 Sound Quality? - 01/16/07 08:23 AM

I would just like to chime in, that I also think the 1070 is the best HT receiver I've ever had the pleasure of using, and yes, it does outweight any of the small problems I've had. My movie watching experience is at the point where I will never burn another DVD to watch - I've become a purist. smile It's also fun to watch in the corner of my eye my wife jump when an unexpected explosion happens in a movie.
Posted by: Cybermynd

Re: 1070 Sound Quality? - 01/17/07 03:46 PM

For what it's worth I don't think you can do much better at the price point. Despite the cost of bringing my 1070 up to Canada it is still the best deal I could find. The Arcam 250 I was considering is about $500 more and they spec out and review about the same (equally good).

After I moved over from my old Sony I noticed, not so much that my Arcam CD player sounded better but my Pioneer DVD player now sounds WAY better. My SACD and DVD-Audio material is now worth listening to again. Lately I've also started re-visiting vinyl records and I'm afraid all the audiophile talk about vinyl being better may actually be true. The old Technics SL1950 I picked up for $99 sounds just as good as my $1000 Arcam CD player. Even without a proper phono pre-amp.
Go for it!

Re: 1070 Sound Quality? - 01/17/07 11:32 PM

Cybermud. Does this mean you love your Outlaw 1070. Can I ask that you talk about what you like?
Posted by: Cybermynd

Re: 1070 Sound Quality? - 01/23/07 01:56 PM

I love my wife. I love my kids. The 1070 is a very good amp. Is it 1000% better than my $300 Sony? No. It is more capable and has superior switching and cleaner power. It is maybe 20% better than my previous setup soundwise.
Having had plenty of experience with computers I am willing to forgive it's foibles - and there appear to be quite a few. It regularly gives me black and white instead of colour from my DVD player, it sometimes forgets that my CD settings are BYPASS and not Stereo 5. It can't even reliably do the channel configuration. However, it sounds great, works 90% of the time and has all the features I need. If that's love then I guess I'm in love...

PS: I'm more of a snake man myself. But at leaset lizards have ears... ;-)

Re: 1070 Sound Quality? - 01/24/07 02:00 AM

Hmmmm,

What I meant to ask you is this, "Do you love the SQ on the 1070?" How do you like to highs, lows, mids, image ability, etc?

Liz
Posted by: Ranger1000

Re: 1070 Sound Quality? - 01/24/07 06:14 PM

I compared my 1070's 2 channel performance with my highly regarded NAD C370 integrated amp performance and it was a too close to call scenario. I now use my 1070's pre-outs and use the NAD as a power amp. I think the NAD had a little edge but for my setup the 1070 was close enough.
Posted by: Hog Up

Re: 1070 Sound Quality? - 01/24/07 11:26 PM

I upgraded to the 1070 recently from my 8 year old JVC and OMG, what a difference! EVERYTHING is just so much better. I thought I had decent 5.1 sound before, but once I hooked up the 1070 I heard what I was really missing. A good test DVD I recently enjoyed was the animated movie CARS. Play the opening 3 minutes of this movie and you will be blown away. Having played it a day earlier with my previous set-up and the next with the 1070, there was no comparison. There was so much more that came to life, so many details that came out of all my speakers that I never heard before. Everyone I have had over recently to hear the new set-up has been blown away. I purchased mine as a "B" stock and I don't think you can go wrong with it.

Re: 1070 Sound Quality? - 01/25/07 05:06 PM

Thanks Hog Up. How does is sound when playing 2 channel music?
Posted by: Laventura

Re: 1070 Sound Quality? - 01/26/07 11:06 AM

Listening to a new cd by ''The Young Gods''this morning...
I believe the 1070 really shines playing tunes in plain old stereo...
oh Joy! oh sweet bliss ! laugh

Re: 1070 Sound Quality? - 01/27/07 08:22 PM

HI Laventura. I am enjoying reding your posts about the 1070. I have the audiophile bug so I am hoping the 107o will do the job ad I will use audiophile speakers and a top flight DVD player that will be modified to increase output.

Can the 1070 suffice?

Re: 1070 Sound Quality? - 01/27/07 10:44 PM

Hi Liz,
You will ultimately answer that one yourself...

but let me offer you this...
the only other system I'm granted to hear on a regular basis...
is an Anthem AVM30 + PVA-7 Mirage M-5si + M-595 for surrounds...Rega Appollo cd player and Cambridge DVD...
This system is also in a much bigger room than mine...
The sound for two channel audio is simply delicious... can play incredibly loud...
and comparing my 1070 and more modest speakers with it...
I feel no envy... laugh
The 1070 brought my little 290's and sub back to life...
with the bundle saved...
cd's have been finding their way here every week...
and don't get me wrong...
the 1070...depending on your speakers and room...can play very loud...
you can come and ask my neighbours... wink

Re: 1070 Sound Quality? - 01/28/07 12:39 AM

I would love to ask your neighbors all the way up in the Great North.

I plan on trying the 1070 with using a powered sub either Outlaw or HSU at a later date.

Can I ask you if you get a sound stage, depth, see through transparency assuming you use good recordings?

How about air around the instruments?

Liz

Re: 1070 Sound Quality? - 01/28/07 08:18 AM

humm...just gotta love that downfiring LFM1 plus...the shakes down to 18 Hz that rumble your cheeks...

a powered sub will definitely give the 1070 more headroom...

some of my listening choices would not all fit the bill of a quality recording...
My music can be quite eclectic...
rock and garage sound like they should...
especially the vinyl stuff...
but some of my more demanding recordings...
Stereolab...Morcheeba(amazing female vocals)...
the richness...the warmth...WOW!
I feel wrapped in sound...
Classical...is good...Piano too...
Chopin or Satie...just sounds Like I got them in my living room playing a tune or two.... smile

Re: 1070 Sound Quality? - 01/28/07 04:29 PM

very nice Lav. sounds to me like you are digging the sound on the 1070.