hum in the 1070

Posted by: catzcradle

hum in the 1070 - 03/26/06 07:54 PM

So I hook everything up today, and the first thing I'm greeted with is a fairly loud hum in all speakers.

Thinking something is cross-touching, or something else, I unhook everything........

hook up just the power, and a pair of speakers, and I get the same hum.

I'll call outlaw in the morning, but my 1050 certainly never had this.
Posted by: gonk

Re: hum in the 1070 - 03/26/06 10:37 PM

Outlaw can get you sorted out tomorrow. The usual suspects are ground loop hum from cable TV or satellite and noise from dimmers or compressors on the same circuit.
Posted by: catzcradle

Re: hum in the 1070 - 03/27/06 03:10 AM

What I am suprised out is that the 1050 on the same plug was fine, and that I've got everything else unplugged from the outlaw, but hopefully I can get this sorted.
Posted by: gonk

Re: hum in the 1070 - 03/27/06 07:17 AM

Different gear can and often does react differently to the same environment. I'm sure that it'll get sorted out.
Posted by: outlaw nut

Re: hum in the 1070 - 06/11/20 05:16 PM

i also have a hum in my 1070. i traced it to the oppo bp-103. i changed the cables, still the same. i switched out the player, then there is no more hum! is there anything that can be put between the oppo player & the 1070 to cancel the hum??
Posted by: XenonMan

Re: hum in the 1070 - 06/15/20 12:00 PM

The hum is likely due to a difference in the ground between the two components. You could run a small wire from the case of the the OPPO to the case of the 1070 to ensure they have the same ground.
Posted by: Outlaw Ben

Re: hum in the 1070 - 06/15/20 12:20 PM

Originally Posted By XenonMan
The hum is likely due to a difference in the ground between the two components. You could run a small wire from the case of the the OPPO to the case of the 1070 to ensure they have the same ground.

This would be a good place to start if it is a 60Hz hum. You could back off chassis screws on each piece of equipment, wrap a piece of speaker wire around counterclockwise and tighten the screws back down to the chassis.

If this doesn't help, reach out to us at support.outlawaudio.com so we can be of assistance.
Posted by: nomoneybutgoodsound

Re: hum in the 1070 - 06/15/20 08:49 PM

When I moved into my new place, when I ordered the cable box/hook up, I requested that they bring a 60hz filter just in case there was a ground difference. The installer brought it but he was surprised when he saw the order. As it turned out, there was a difference and the filter seemed to work.