1070 Sub Test Tone 10 db hot

Posted by: Ranger1000

1070 Sub Test Tone 10 db hot - 09/03/05 09:58 AM

When calibrating my sub I noticed that the 1070's internal sub test tone runs about 10 db hot. So when I first calibrated using the 1070 internal test tones matching speaker levels with sub level I would get very lttle base when actually playing a movie. I then calibrated the speakers with the sub using AVIA and got things sounding the way they should in the bass department. I went back and ran the 1070's internal sub tone and sure enough it was at least 10 db hot compared to the speaker levels.

As a side note, I have an SVS pb12/plus sub and one of my test movies I use is the crash scene in Flight of the Phoenix. I measured 109 Db on my SPL, the whole house was shaking. That was way too loud!
Posted by: sparkyfan

Re: 1070 Sub Test Tone 10 db hot - 09/03/05 04:00 PM

Yes but have you tried other modes yet. I finally got the sub to respond on dvd as well, sounds great!. (SVS 20-39/S700) But I cannot get it in any other mode. Play'd DVD-a, digital cable radio channels, cd's my whole family asked me where the thump thump was.. Ouputs just don't seem to be driving the amp well enuf. Its all maxed and I cannot get it. Also on the DVD-a, if I don't use the multi-analog inputs, and choose optical for sound, It cuts out on the first 2 seconds of every song. And there's no output from my Video 1 Rec Video output.. Aaand it the weekend, so I guess I just keep play'n.
Posted by: Scott

Re: 1070 Sub Test Tone 10 db hot - 09/03/05 04:31 PM

If your cd’s are cutting out on the first two seconds of songs when connected with digital audio cables, then you’ve got “auto-polling” turned on. The auto-polling feature is designed primarily for cable boxes that output some channels in digital but the rest in analog. If your connection is digital only, turn the auto poll feature “off”. This feature is in the input configuration menu for each source.
Posted by: gonk

Re: 1070 Sub Test Tone 10 db hot - 09/03/05 06:00 PM

Quote:
Also on the DVD-a, if I don't use the multi-analog inputs, and choose optical for sound, It cuts out on the first 2 seconds of every song.
DVD-Audio output through optical is not truly DVD-Audio. It is actually downmixed Dolby Digital 2.0. As for the behavior of cutting off, it sounds like Scott has you covered.

Re: 1070 Sub Test Tone 10 db hot - 09/03/05 06:36 PM

Yes, DVD-A and SACD require the multi-channel inputs. I have things pretty much "dialed in" now where movies and SACD/DVD-A are sounding great but haven't tried many formats other than dolby digital. For now I am using the 1070's bass management toggle set to digital which means the 1070 is handling bass management. Intially I had it set to bypass so that my Denon 3910 would do the BM but had some problems which requires further investigation.

Re: 1070 Sub Test Tone 10 db hot - 09/03/05 06:44 PM

Have you tried the HPF/LPF position to see how it compares to the "digital" setting?

Re: 1070 Sub Test Tone 10 db hot - 09/03/05 07:46 PM

Isn't that the one with a fixed 80 Hz cross over? Not sure why I would want to use that one.

Re: 1070 Sub Test Tone 10 db hot - 09/03/05 10:02 PM

Yep, that's the 80Hz crossover, but it allows the analog signal to stay in the analog domain all the way through the 1070.

Re: 1070 Sub Test Tone 10 db hot - 09/03/05 10:50 PM

ok, Scott is right, turn off auto polling and the cut outs go away. Yes Optical will not give you true DVD-a but unfortunately you have to manually change the input, much like we used to do to choose 5 channel direct on the 1050's but a couple more steps now. But the wife isn't gonna do that and already gave me the whats up with that. So I'm glad that's cured. But I've got to figure out the lack of low end on the other formats. We got used to the 1050 adding some umph to normal TV viewing, but the first light on the S700 is barely flickering. Surely its me, others are raving, I'll get it soon.. Gave up for the night since family was coming over.

PS.. I had to upgrade firmware due to my DCT cablebox. Did anyone else have to do this?

Re: 1070 Sub Test Tone 10 db hot - 09/03/05 11:22 PM

I saw a post yesterday indicating that there was a conflict with remote codes between the 1070 and some cable boxes which was not caught until the end of (or possibly after) beta testing, hence the firmware update to fix the problem.

Re: 1070 Sub Test Tone 10 db hot - 09/04/05 08:27 AM

I'll give the 80 Hz a try. My front's are quite large Polk RTI150s and I generally have my x-over set to 60 Hertz.

Re: 1070 Sub Test Tone 10 db hot - 09/05/05 06:46 AM

Hey, the 80 Hz setting works pretty good. I think I like it the best of all three for now. I have problems with the middle "bypass" setting not providing enough bass.

Re: 1070 Sub Test Tone 10 db hot - 09/05/05 06:49 AM

Sparkyfan,

I've tried the other surround modes and the bass is right where it should be (again, the 1070's internal tone reads 10 db hot). I do have a problem with the bass managment toggle set to the bypass setting. In this setting, where the bass managment would be done in my DVD player, I get very little bass when playing DVD-A or SACD.

Re: 1070 Sub Test Tone 10 db hot - 09/05/05 01:28 PM

Hmmm, I'll keep trying.. I ended up trimming back the 5 to like -2-1-2+1+1 and the sub at +8 and turn the base tone up to +4 and I'm getting some base at moderate listening levels. But turn it up and it really starts to romp. Spent all day yesterday with the manual. And there's no lie to what the Outlaws say. Read the manual. I had to chuckle at that one since I was relatively guilty. I'm not liking the Dol+plIIx default though. If I change to Dollb+plII-m while listening to Dig Cable music,things start to sound great. Change to a different channel of music and it goes back to plIIX-c. I cannot make it stick or remember the last surround mode.. I'm sure I don't understand all the surround modes but why do I want to default to plIIx when I have a 5.1 system?
Not alot of time to play with it today.. Maybe this evening..

Thanks!!
Posted by: 73Bruin

Re: 1070 Sub Test Tone 10 db hot - 09/09/05 12:38 PM

I wonder if by running the sub 10db hot if Outlaw is trying to compensate for the lack of sensitivity in RS SPL meters? Here is a link on the subject from SVS for what it is worth.

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/faq_rscomp.htm
Posted by: jlib

Re: 1070 Sub Test Tone 10 db hot - 09/09/05 09:47 PM

I've always calibrated the sub by ear anyway because the RS never felt right, now I know why. My related problem is that there is not enough +trim available on the surround channels for my very efficient sat speakers. On my previous Outlaw 950 system with 65W Adcom amp they were within 1 dB or so of the others. Now they are 10+. In other words, even when maxed out they are still not at the same level as the other speakers which are around +2. Would the workaround be to just manually knock off a few dB from the other speakers?
Posted by: SternFan

Re: 1070 Sub Test Tone 10 db hot - 09/09/05 11:39 PM

That's what I'd try jlib.

Re: 1070 Sub Test Tone 10 db hot - 09/10/05 07:43 PM

I wasn't thinking very deeply. I just calibrated to 70dB instead of 75dB (basically I calibrated everything to the surrounds). Good enough.

Re: 1070 Sub Test Tone 10 db hot - 09/10/05 08:55 PM

Just thought I'd post an update. After reading, rewiring a bit, fooling around, and phone call to Outlaw, it seems most of all my issues are resolved and my system is sounding a whole lot better.

Even though I do understand things more, I still went on record as not liking how the default modes work. But Steve at Outlaw provided me with the workarounds and a bit of education about base management at the same time. The base management seems to be quite a challenge for me since my living room is 28x32. I did however express my opinion that the default digital mode should stick if changed in the configuration menu. Or at least add the choice of Auto in the digital audio mode so I can choose off of it. But that's just 1 opinion.

I did calibrate my 7.1 with the tones from the DVD player and ther rest with the 1070 just so that both sources were calibrated. But that may change as I play more or get Avia out. I didn't worry to much about the sub since I seem to always be in there trimming up or down. Which reminds me... I wish the trim menu would remember the last speaker you trimmed, which is usually my sub..

Anyway, it's all good. I'm really happy with the way it's performing. And the support is fantastic.

Which by the way, Outlaws if you haven't walked behind Steve and patted him on the back lately, please do so. He's a marvelous resource!

Re: 1070 Sub Test Tone 10 db hot - 09/10/05 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sparkyfan:
...why do I want to default to plIIx when I have a 5.1 system?
I wondered about that , too, but the manual says that that mode senses if you have rear surrounds and emulates regular plII if not. So, the x is not the problem, just the lack of being able to save your -C/-M preferences.

Re: 1070 Sub Test Tone 10 db hot - 09/10/05 10:49 PM

I know it says that but it doesn't happen. I do not have rear surrounds either. But still sets itself to IIx. I don't know enuf about the modes to know but I do wonder whether or not I am losing signal if the processor is pumping IIx but no rears are installed. If IIx is for 7.1 emulation and it converts to 5.1 when rears are turned off why not display it?

Re: 1070 Sub Test Tone 10 db hot - 09/11/05 12:01 AM

From what I have come to understand, PLIIx can apply even in cases where there are no surround back speakers - it simply makes use of the available speakers (sort of as if Dolby could replace PLII entirely with PLIIx, but have for whatever reason allowed PLII to co-exist while doing the same thing for systems with no surround back channels).

Re: 1070 Sub Test Tone 10 db hot - 09/11/05 12:40 AM

That's ok then. I was looking on the Dolby sight but it doesn't really give too much detail on the differences.
Posted by: Wayne Charlton

Re: 1070 Sub Test Tone 10 db hot - 09/11/05 11:48 AM