7125 running hot...very hot.

Posted by: TommyJr

7125 running hot...very hot. - 08/27/17 10:20 PM

I've got this amp in open air and the top is so hot, I can only put my hand on it for 5 uncomfortable seconds. It's been on idle and it's that hot. This is my first big amplifier so I am not sure if this is normal or not, but I'm thinking it is not. Can anyone confirm that this is normal or abnormal? If it's abnormal, is there anything that I can do to avoid sending it in for work?

Thanks!!!
Posted by: TommyJr

Re: 7125 running hot...very hot. - 08/27/17 11:27 PM

Update: I heard some pieces sliding around in the case when I moved it. So, I opened it up and it looks like the thermistor located at MS-1 on the circuit board is all cracked to pieces. I'm surprised the amp worked at all!
Unfortunately, there are no markings on the component so I don't know what part to order. Does anyone have a schematic or know which part to order?
Posted by: EEman

Re: 7125 running hot...very hot. - 08/28/17 08:53 AM

Sounds like something is seriously wrong. I recommend you unplug the thing so things don't go from bad to worse.

Is the unit still under warranty? If so call up Outlaw, box it up and send it back.

If it's not under warranty I guess I would still recommend the same thing.

Just replacing the part may not solve the problem as the source of the electrical overstress may still exist.
Posted by: XenonMan

Re: 7125 running hot...very hot. - 08/28/17 12:06 PM

Definitely bad Ju-Ju. Ship it back to Outlaw for repair. They are very reasonable and the turnaround is very fast. The hardest part is paying for shipping. If you don't have the box request one from them.
Posted by: Owl's_Warder

Re: 7125 running hot...very hot. - 08/28/17 12:22 PM

Yep. I agree. Send it back to the Outlaws. That thermistor may only be a symptom and not the cause. Plus, if it was getting that hot, likely other components on the board are damaged and will fail once the thermistor is replaced. Then another and another. It becomes a cascade effect. That's the reason we don't do board level repairs where I work. We found years ago that things just keep coming back because the next weak component failed after running for a while (days to weeks, usually). Send it in and they'll get you fixed up right!
Posted by: XenonMan

Re: 7125 running hot...very hot. - 08/28/17 05:19 PM

I had a channel go bad on my 7125 and the turn around time was about 10 days. Fortunately it was under warranty and all I had to pay was to ship it there. I can't think of another company where they will repair their gear as promptly and completely as Outlaw and OPPO.