LFM-2 w/ Axiom M80's?

Posted by: aka

LFM-2 w/ Axiom M80's? - 11/17/07 10:37 PM

I'm strictly running 2CH (stereo) - no HT. My M80's, especially driven by the RR2150, deliver a very balanced, natural, full sound that I'm quite pleased with - but I can't help but wonder if a touch of extra Low Freq might be nice for acoustic bass, etc.
I'd want something 'musical' vs 'Exploding Death Star Special fX' and especially something that would blend seamlessly with the M80s. I've had my eye on the Axiom EP400 but have a hard time justifying that price point for the little goose I'm after.
Room is 14' x18' (open on one of the 14' sides) with a 10-12" angled ceiling.
Carpet over concrete slab floor - popcorn ceiling.
Having never owned a proper sub - I would appreciate your thoughts?

M80:
http://www.axiomaudio.com/m80ti_main.html

EP400:
http://www.axiomaudio.com/ep400_main.html
Posted by: nomoneybutgoodsound

Re: LFM-2 w/ Axiom M80's? - 11/18/07 05:47 AM

For what it is worth. I also have the M80's but I use the EP350 version 3. This is the new EP350 with the larger enclosure and larger amp. It is a lot cheaper than the EP400. There does not appear to be any transition at all between the M80 and the sub. The sub's bass is very clean. I use a ATI1202 to drive the M80's. So far I like the sub, having tried it out with 2 channel music, a Collective Soul concert and the old Robocop movie. Like Outlaw - Axiom also gives the 30 day trial.
Posted by: aka

Re: LFM-2 w/ Axiom M80's? - 11/18/07 05:01 PM

Thanks for that nomoney!

I have read Alan's notes on the new 350 and it seems a good value in the Axiom lineup - I am very glad to hear your thoughts on it paired with the M80s especially listening to music in 2CH.
Mrs. aka would like the fact that I can match the M80 cabinet finish. Peace in the family!

OK - despite bigger, heavier, more expensive return shipping - EP350v3 makes the short list!
I do like idea of sticking with Axiom - but the relatively inexpensive, well-regarded Outlaw/HSU offerings do complicate the decision. confused

Thanks again for the input!
Posted by: gonk

Re: LFM-2 w/ Axiom M80's? - 11/18/07 09:31 PM

I haven't heard the M80, but it would seem to be similar in terms of frequency response to my Paradigm Studio 60's - and the original LFM-1 has done a great job of integrating with them (particularly for music, which is where I had trouble integrating my previous sub with them) in a room that has slightly more volume than yours. Can't argue against the Axiom subs, but I'd definitely agree that the Outlaw subs are worth keeping in consideration.
Posted by: mark miller

Re: LFM-2 w/ Axiom M80's? - 12/10/07 11:42 AM

I have the 80`s with the lfm-1+ and they blend very well. I have not heard any of the axiom subs, but i'm sure they match very well. The outlaw subs are deep and downfiring with an enticing price right now. Get them both and test them against each other and give us your thoughts. I would like to see a comparision between the two.