My LFM-2 Has A Haircut

Posted by: valdocs

My LFM-2 Has A Haircut - 06/04/06 01:23 PM

I received an LFM-2 (and an RR-2150) on Friday. The sub is working great, but it doesn't look like the one on the product page, which appears to have a black top. Mine has a manila folder colored top. In fact, that's what I thought it was when I unpacked it. An attempt to remove the 'folder' revealed it to be the true top of the unit. When I look at it, it just makes me think of a kid's crazy summer haircut, with long hair down the sides but bald on top. Is this the way it's supposed to look?
Posted by: Chris Wolcott

Re: My LFM-2 Has A Haircut - 06/04/06 02:04 PM

The LFM-2 should have a shiny black top once you remove the protective sheet.
Posted by: gonk

Re: My LFM-2 Has A Haircut - 06/04/06 06:37 PM

The sub has a plexiglass top (not actually black, but it looks that way). As Chris pointed out, you just need to peel off the protective film on the plexi.

Re: My LFM-2 Has A Haircut - 06/04/06 07:43 PM

My LFM-2 doesn't have a plexiglass top with film cover. It has a fiberboard top, flush with the black case body. Thinking the biberboard would come off if only I tried hard enough, I gave it two tries, losing part of a fingernail and the tip of my pen knife in the process. I'll try to upload a picture to show you (never tried this before).

[img]http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/edward.barry@sbcglobal.net/album?.dir=/f1c9scd[/img]
Posted by: gonk

Re: My LFM-2 Has A Haircut - 06/04/06 09:12 PM

Yike! I can't see the picture, but that does sound like a severe haircut! Give the Outlaws a call next week and pass the story along to them.

Re: My LFM-2 Has A Haircut - 06/04/06 10:18 PM

I couldn't show the picture directly in the forum, but here's a link to my two-tone LFM-2:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kraken4@sbcglobal.net/detail?.dir=/9688scd&.dnm=2f4fscd.jpg&.src=ph
Posted by: Cisco

Re: My LFM-2 Has A Haircut - 06/05/06 09:01 AM

That's exactly how my LFM-1 looked when it arrived.I know you broke a nail and and exacto knife but it has to peal off, try again.
Posted by: DNicely1

Re: My LFM-2 Has A Haircut - 06/05/06 11:27 AM

That sure looks like the protective coating that was on my LFM-1. It does peel off but I do remember having a hard time.
Posted by: Chris Wolcott

Re: My LFM-2 Has A Haircut - 06/05/06 12:10 PM

That is exectly what it is. I think mine came off in 4 or 5 shreads. Start in the corner.
Posted by: sluggo

Re: My LFM-2 Has A Haircut - 06/05/06 01:54 PM

stick a razor blade vertically outside the paper edge, and slowly rotate it to horizontal to get it under the edge and get the peeling started. If you can get the corner lifted in one piece, fold it back 180 degrees and pull in that direction, but slowly - it is some temperamental stuff.

Re: My LFM-2 Has A Haircut - 06/05/06 07:38 PM

Guys, I'm so embarrassed! Thanks for the tips. My lying eyes told me the top of the LFM-2 was inch thick fiberboard and I believed them. After very patiently picking away at one corner of the top, a sliver of the 'board' (now revealed to be paper) came loose. I carefully peeled it back and in no time I saw the LFM in all of its glory. It now looks as good as it sounds.