LFM-2 and current setup - Good match to tame room modes?

Posted by: sraber

LFM-2 and current setup - Good match to tame room modes? - 11/12/05 09:50 AM

Hello all,
I'm looking for a way to tame some of room modes in my theater room. I realize that the best way to do this would have been to build my room to better dimensions, but it's a little late for that now. (Should have done more homework up front. frown ) Here's a little about how my room is set up:

Speaker compliment:
Front: B&W DM604S3 Set to small, x-over @ 40Hz.
Center: B&W LCR600 Set to small, x-over @ 60Hz.
Srnd: B&W DM302 Set to small, x-over @ 80Hz.
R. Srnd: Polk M3II Set to small, x-over @ 80Hz.
Sub: HSU VTF3-MKII Built-in x-over disabled.

Electronics:
PrePro: Outlaw 990
Amp: Rotel RMB-1075
Srnd. Amp: Parasound HCA750
DVD: Denon DVD-2900

Room:
25.5'long x 13.5'wide x 7.5'ceiling.
Thick carpet + pad over concrete.
Large 5 seat sectional sofa.
Acoustic panels on rear wall.
Front speaker baffles 3' from front wall, slightly toed in.

My sub is 5.5' from the front wall along the side wall. This placement didn't give me the loudest bass, but it did give me the smoothest response I could get. I used a test DVD with a bass sweep and rat shack sound meter. I originally had the sub in the corner, but all I got was one note boom. So I'm looking to further tame the bass in my room. I was thinking a 2nd sub could help me wth that. I'd like to save some cash so I was looking into the LFM-2. Could this be a decent match for the setup I've listed above?

Sorry this is long winded. And, as always, thanks in advance.

later,
simp

Re: LFM-2 and current setup - Good match to tame room modes? - 11/19/05 01:13 AM

anyone?
Posted by: Jason J

Re: LFM-2 and current setup - Good match to tame room modes? - 11/19/05 10:49 AM

It's a really tricky question to answer. Honestly, I don't know enough about acoustics to give you a perfect answer. But here's a thought, instead of adding more bass input with a second sub, why don't you add some bass traps to help tame some of the bass in the room? For the same cost of a new sub, you can either purchase some bass traps or make your own. Here's a great website for ideas:

www.realtraps.com

Hope that helps...
Posted by: DaleB

Re: LFM-2 and current setup - Good match to tame room modes? - 11/26/05 04:00 PM

I am coming to the conclusion that just adding a sub to make up for one in a less than ideal location, or to even out room response is not the way to go.
It is better to go with traps for specific room problems, or relocate an existing sub for more bass. If you do add a sub, it's best function would be in tandem with a sub of the same type for more output.

Re: LFM-2 and current setup - Good match to tame room modes? - 11/26/05 11:06 PM

Thanks for the responses gents. I think that Outlaw has just provided the solution to my problems. Seems like the Velodyne SMS1 should do the trick in my case. And it will probably be considerably easier than trying to locate and dial in two subs.

Thanks again for the responses.

later,
simp