SUB and LFE Option

Posted by: Dr_JB

SUB and LFE Option - 10/09/09 07:03 PM

Hello everyone,

I'm about to add a sub into the mix and according to the manual, if my front L & R speakers are large, which they are, I should choose "LFE Only," for the sub setting. My question is: why this option? And, can I run a sub when I choose this option?

thanks,

John
Posted by: butchgo

Re: SUB and LFE Option - 10/09/09 11:28 PM

I think that if your speakers are set to large all of the normal bass will be directed to them.
Only the LFE track will be directed to the sub.
Posted by: audionirvana

Re: SUB and LFE Option - 10/10/09 12:49 AM

If you chose LFE Only and your main speakers set to Large you will only hear the sub when you listen to sources(primarily movies) with a 5.1 soundtrack. The .1 is LFE, yes, contains low frequency effects or sometimes bass on 5.1 music dvd's or MCH music sources.
If you want to hear your sub in action with a conventional CD, set the sub to L/R+Sub. This will direct some of the bass from the left & right speakers to the sub. May sound better, may not. Let your ears decide.
Posted by: KOYAAN

Re: SUB and LFE Option - 10/10/09 02:23 AM

I don't know what kind of main speakers your using, but you might want to try setting them to "small" with a 40 or 60 hz crossover, at least as an experiment.
I'm using large Polks with 8" powerd woofers that are supposed to go down to 30 hz, but I find that I get the best result setting thm to small with a 60 hz crossover and letting the subwoofers deal with the deep bass.