Strange issue since FW upgrade

Posted by: Petey B

Strange issue since FW upgrade - 06/15/08 11:30 PM

Hi all!

I loaded the latest firmware this week and it really has improved the sound of CD's in 2.1.
Great job Outlaws!

Now the strange issue...

After playing CD's for a few hours, I decided to throw in a DVD to see what effect the FW had on the sound...so I popped Master & Commander into the DVD player (the same player I use for CD playback).

The DVD started and I only had sound from my L&R speakers. I checked & re-checked that the DVD player was playing DTS 5.1...it was. I started and stopped the DVD a few times...and cycled thru the Dolby modes on the 990 remote a few times.

After playing around for a few minutes the full 5.1 sound came on.

Anybody else having similar issues with the 990 recognizing 5.1 after playing stereo?

Interested in hearing your thoughts.

Pete
Posted by: garcianc2003

Re: Strange issue since FW upgrade - 06/16/08 01:16 AM

No problems here, Pete.
How is you DVD player connected? Remember that your settings get wiped out during the update, so I would check that your DVD player's input is setup properly.

Re: Strange issue since FW upgrade - 06/16/08 02:20 AM

Garcianc2003: Thanks for the reply

I was able to re-create the problem.

I use the DVD player as my CD player
The optical output from the DVD Player is connected to the 990 for both CD playback & DVD audio playback.

Here is the issue. After listening to a CD in stereo / upsample...I pop in a DVD and once the DVD starts...the 990 shows Dolby Digital on its display with all 5 speakers shown. But...the audio remains in stereo!

To get the surround sound I found I have to select a different input on the remote and then go back to the original input (in this case Video 1).

Note> I listen to CD's & watch DVD's both in thru Video 1.

It seems like the 990 audio output is maintained for a specific input until that input is recycled.

Now that I know how it happens I can work around it pretty easily.

Any thoughts?
Maybe this is normal operation and I never noticed before.
Posted by: garcianc2003

Re: Strange issue since FW upgrade - 06/16/08 03:21 AM

Have you verified in the 990's menu what you have assigned to Video 1 for audio input?
Next thing I would recommend is calling Outlaw or opening a support ticket. What you are describing is not normal.

Re: Strange issue since FW upgrade - 06/16/08 12:36 PM

Garcianc2003,

I will play with it this evening after work.
if I can't figure it out I will call Outlaw tech support tomorrow morning.

I will also do a reset tonight...although I"m hesitant to do so now that I have the balance between Stereo & HT dialed in nicely.

Pete