New Firmware Update Questions

Posted by: mzpro5

New Firmware Update Questions - 05/31/08 12:40 PM

I haven't installed any upgrade. Can I just use the most current update (5/08)? Thanks for responses.
Posted by: Scott

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 05/31/08 12:56 PM

Yes mzpro5. You can install this update even if you haven't installed the previous releases.

Best,

Scott
Posted by: gonk

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 05/31/08 01:54 PM

I haven't installed this yet (may take some time, as I'll need an able-legged assistant to hook up the laptop and flip the rear panel switch), but the "Firmware Update" portion of my 990 review should cover the process of installing this firmware. For that matter, Outlaw's instructions have consistently been good resources.
Posted by: Petey B

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 05/31/08 02:29 PM

Dear Outlaws,
This is awesome news!
Thanks so much for continuing your support of the 990.

PeteyB
Posted by: FAUguy

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 05/31/08 05:12 PM

This is good news. It's a bit of a job to disconnect the 990 and bring it upstairs to connect it to my PC, but after waiting this long I don't mind.

Are there any type of 'release notes' that lists all the changes/fixes in the new firmware, or is it just ' bass management and LFE'?

Does anyone know what the firmware version number is, so we can verify it on the 990?
Posted by: zod

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 05/31/08 07:18 PM

It 3.24 I use my laptop to do the install.

Is there a summary of what's been fixed/changed?
Posted by: rubbersoul

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 05/31/08 07:45 PM

I am satisfied with the 990 as is. I purchased the 990 June of 2006. I am not that computer oriented and for that reason a little nervous about trying to install the new firmware. I have a Dell Inspiron E1505 with Windows XP and Intel Centrino Duo.
I know that this is something that I do not HAVE to do but I will feel somewhat left out of the loop if I do not take advantage of this update.

What kind of cable is necessary.

I am going on vacation for two weeks in September and I am thinking of having the Outlaws do the installing.

Waste or should I attempt it myself? What is the worse that can happen?

Thanks

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 05/31/08 07:50 PM

One of these: http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Pro-Device-...12263359&sr=8-1

USB A/B

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 05/31/08 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rubbersoul:
I am going on vacation for two weeks in September and I am thinking of having the Outlaws do the installing.
If you don't feel that you can do the install yourself (or have a friend do it), call Outlaw and see if they would allow you to send the 990 to them for update. I'm not sure if they have done this in the past for customers, but I do know that most new 990s still come with the 1st firmware loaded.

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 05/31/08 09:26 PM

The instructions are quite good and complete. However, you have to give them a careful read so you don't skip over anything. If I were writing them I would improve the visual aspect of them with numbering and bolding. For example there are two major steps to do before attempting to update the 990:
1. Downloading the update
2. Running the setup.exe to get the PC into the update position
Posted by: garcianc2003

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 06/01/08 04:33 AM

In step 18, where it says:
"...holding them unit SYSTEM RESET appears in the front panel..."
I believe instead of "unit" it should read "until".

Other than making me scratch my head at that step, the instructions worked great.

I realize that firmware upgrades are supposed to be a quick-and-dirty process. However, I believe that the process can be made more user-friendly if the update tool was written like a wizard with the instructions built in. Each one of the 21 steps could be a "page" asking the user to click "Next" when ready.
Posted by: admin

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 06/01/08 04:12 PM

Thanks for pointing out the typo on #18. We corrected it.
Posted by: Dr_JB

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 06/02/08 11:53 AM

Hello everyone,

I just purchased a new laptop with Vista Premium. Is it really the case that I can't use my new laptop to install the firmware update?

thanks,

John
Posted by: bestbang4thebuck

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 06/02/08 03:03 PM

Allowing for the fact that ...

1) the 990 update software is not officially supported for use on the Vista OS,

2) your experience my be different from mine for various reasons,

... In my experience it is possible to successfully perform the upgrade to version 3.11 using a USB cable and a PC with the Vista Home Premium operating system.* As such, I believe the newest upgrade will also work via Vista.

Other than clicking the 'update' button (later in the process) as mahansm** mentions, I had only one thing to contend with that was not already covered in the instructions. When it was time for the installation software to find the .inf file, I could not successfully find the folder containing the file by merely using the 'browse' button in the software installation prompt window. In a separate window I opened, I checked to make sure I could view hidden folders and navigated manually to the correct folder. After finding the proper folder on my own, I merely copied the location character string from my separate window and pasted it into the installation software prompt window. I then closed my separate window and continued with the installation process.

Edit: *The PC was Intel Core 2 Duo based, Vista running 32-bit, not 64.

**Posted by mahansm: The omission was that the instructions did not say to press the "upgrade" button when it was obvious that it was the next step. Separate message sent to tech support, so the instructions should be amended shortly.

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 06/02/08 05:54 PM

bb4tb,

thanks for the explanation. I have a similar processor and the same Vista OS. All I need is the proper USB cable. Perhaps I'll wait until Outlaw makes the amendment.

I also didn't realize that my Oppo 981 could potentially have a firmware update. Will have to look into it, too.

Again, thanks.

John
Posted by: audionirvana

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 06/02/08 06:36 PM

I installed the upgrade yesterday and all seemed to go well.
Only unusual thing si that I expected a firmware check to indicate V3.24, but my unit displays
V 3.11 04 yet the noted improvements seem to be working, e.g subwoofer control on UPSAMPLE mode.
Can someone else check their version number after installing the upgrade to see what it displays?

Thanks much.

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 06/02/08 06:54 PM

Quote:
I also didn't realize that my Oppo 981 could potentially have a firmware update. Will have to look into it, too.
OPPO releases firmware updates fairly regularly, so there is a chance you've got an update available.
Quote:
Only unusual thing si that I expected a firmware check to indicate V3.24, but my unit displays
V 3.11 04 yet the noted improvements seem to be working, e.g subwoofer control on UPSAMPLE mode.
Can someone else check their version number after installing the upgrade to see what it displays?
Have you reset the 990 yet?
Posted by: butchgo

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 06/02/08 07:24 PM

Does anybody know if this new firmware has any effect on the 7.1 direct input?
I was under the impression that the bass management did apply to this input with V 3.11 04.

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 06/02/08 07:45 PM

If speakers are set to "small" the 990 has always applied bass management to the 7.1 Direct input. There's been no indication of a change to this feature.

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 06/02/08 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by audionirvana:
I installed the upgrade yesterday and all seemed to go well.

Thanks much.
I did the update today, and check the version on the LED display. It shows 3 24 04.
Posted by: audionirvana

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 06/03/08 01:25 AM

Thanks FAUguy
I spoke with Scott and if I understood him correctly the V3.11 update was in the folder for the current firmware update and apparently I accidentally installed that.
So we try again.
Posted by: wolverine

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 06/06/08 03:00 PM

Since this is probably the last word on the 990, I think it would be useful to see a bass management matrix for the 7.1 direct inputs. I know what happens if you set all the speakers to SMALL and the SUB is essentially yes. There are many other possible combinations, but short of a whole matrix, I do have two specific questions.

If one sets the center and surrounds to SMALL with appropriate crossover frequencies, and the fronts to LARGE, what actually happens to 7.1 direct for the different sub settings +SUB, LFE or NO?

Are there any combinations of settings for any/all the speakers (size and delay distance) when the 990 would not apply the extra A/D and D/A to any of the speakers (like the fronts) and would pass any parts of the 7.1 direct input through as completely unprocessed analog?

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 06/06/08 04:20 PM

Here's my understanding: if any speakers are set to small, bass management is applied to the 7.1 direct input using the exact same logic as with any digital input or non-bypassed analog input.

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 06/07/08 02:45 AM

I tried to download the upgrade.
I made a folder designated to the 990.
I unzipped the files that read 14 files successfully unzipped.
This is some what different from what the instructions are telling me. Click through the pages as needed. I never seen it.

What am I missing?
Posted by: Lee Bailey

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 06/07/08 02:56 AM

Launch the setup file you saw in the files you unzipped. This will install the Loader Software. Once it is installed, you will see it on your start programs listing. Depending on how you attach to your 990, you may have to install the USB driver.

Once you are connected, you will have to select the firmware located in the C:\Program Files\Outlaw Audio Model 990\Firmware folder. It should be 990_3_24.BIN

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 06/07/08 03:11 PM

I used the same PC as I did two years ago. When I connected the Outlaw via USB I did not get the new hardware install setup box. I'm not sure what windows did but a driver was associated with the device that I had to uninstall. After that, all went as expected.

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 06/07/08 05:33 PM

The upgrade loader is on my screen and I clicked onto the File Open key and from there clicked onto 990 3 24 which now appears on the upgrade loader screen.
I clicked on the UPGRADE button and a bar appears that looks as if it is uploading files. At that point a box appears saying DEVICE RESTART/OK
Am I doing something wrong or am I ready to shut the 990 down and go to the next step?
Posted by: Petey B

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 06/07/08 10:47 PM

rubbersoul,
Same thing happened to me.
You should be good to go.

PeteyB
Posted by: cp1966

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 06/07/08 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rubbersoul:
The upgrade loader is on my screen and I clicked onto the File Open key and from there clicked onto 990 3 24 which now appears on the upgrade loader screen.
I clicked on the UPGRADE button and a bar appears that looks as if it is uploading files. At that point a box appears saying DEVICE RESTART/OK
Am I doing something wrong or am I ready to shut the 990 down and go to the next step?
Double check the instructions. I think I had the same problem my first attempt. I think you are suppose to turn the master power switch on and off again very fast (within one second) and then try iy again.

I am pretty sure this message (Restart device) is discussed in the instructions.

EDIT:

Yup, I found it. About 3/4 down in the instructions;

"IMPORTANT NOTE: In the event that an error occurs during the upgrade, the process will stop and a pop-up box will appear with a “Device (Outlaw) Restart!” message. If this happens check the data connection cable, click on the “OK” button within the pop-up and then turn the Model 990 Off and then On again within one second. Click on the Upgrade button in the software loader and restart the process from Step 7."

This did happen to me. I turned the master power off and then on again very quickley, and then ot worked fine.

Good luck!

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 06/08/08 03:08 PM

Thanks you cp1966 and Petey B I did not have the 990 connected to my laptop.

Just to get this straight as of now I just have to shut off the 990 (Master Stwitch)put the OPR/SVC switch in the down position (SVC)
Reconnect or turn on the master power switch follow instructions per USB/RS-232

Question: I am correct that I DO NOT turn the 990 on while doing this procedure.

Thanks for the patience. Certianly you guys have notice I am not to comfortable with computers.

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 06/08/08 04:26 PM

You are correct that you do not turn the 990 on during the update procedure.

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 06/09/08 09:11 PM

How do I load the 990's USB driver for the upgrade since I am using a USB cable.

Where can I buy the USB cable that I need for the upgrade.

Anyone

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 06/10/08 01:01 AM

Here's some info on the USB driver process (taken from this page ):
Quote:
For USB Connections:
  • Close any open programs.
  • Connect the larger USB “A” connector end of the cable to your computer and the smaller “B” connector to the Model 990.
  • Your computer will recognize that it is connected to the Model 990 for the first time and a pop-up box will appear with a “Found New Hardware: Outlaw Audio Model 990” message.
  • When the main “Install New Hardware” box appears select the “Install from a list or location” option and then click on “Next”.
  • At the next dialog box, select “Search for location” and then click on the “Browse” button.
  • When the file listing pop-up opens, navigate to the folder where you have saved the installation files and click through the files to locate “outlaw.inf”. Click “OPEN” to continue.
  • When you are returned to the “Install New Hardware” dialog box, click “NEXT” to continue.
  • If a dialog box opens with a message about Windows compatibility, click “CONTINUE”. The driver and accompanying software has been rigorously tested and is fully compatible with the versions of Windows listed above.
  • Continue through the installation steps as you would for any new USB device until the process is finished.

As for the USB cable, any standard USB cable (type "A" to type "B") will do. It should have the wide, flat plug on one end (which will connect to the PC's USB port) and the square plug on the other end (which will connect to the 990's USB port). This is the same type of cable used to USB printers, USB scanners, and USB hubs to a PC.

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 06/10/08 03:34 AM

One of these: http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Pro-Device-...12263359&sr=8-1

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 06/10/08 08:09 AM

Also, after the update, you are suppose to turn the 990 on in a special manner.

DO NOT turn it on by using the power button on the front of the 990 or by the remote. I think you are suppose to turn it on by pressing the "enter" and "menu" button at the same time.

read the instructions, print them, and read them again. And read them as you are doing the process. Take your time, and read carefully.

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 06/10/08 05:13 PM

You have to switch the OPR/SVC button back to SVC before you can turn it back on.

As for special procedures for turning it back on, there really aren't any. The "SELECT" and "MENU" button combination on the front panel is a system reset, which is called for after installing the firmware, but it's not actually part of turning the unit on.

Loosely related to the rest process, pressing "SELECT" and "INPUT" on the front panel at the same time while the unit is in standby displays the version number on the front panel display.

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 06/10/08 07:42 PM

Thanks to everyone!!

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 06/10/08 10:06 PM

Hello everyone,

I just went through what I consider a crazy amount of work to upload the new firmware. I just checked the version and it reads: 3:07:04. I'm assuming this means it was all for not?

Thanks,

John

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 06/11/08 01:03 AM

I reread this entire thread, then reinstalled the firmware; it's a success!

Thank you all!

John

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 06/11/08 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
You have to switch the OPR/SVC button back to SVC before you can turn it back on.

As for special procedures for turning it back on, there really aren't any. The "SELECT" and "MENU" button combination on the front panel is a system reset, which is called for after installing the firmware, but it's not actually part of turning the unit on.

Loosely related to the rest process, pressing "SELECT" and "INPUT" on the front panel at the same time while the unit is in standby displays the version number on the front panel display.
I am pretty sure the update instructions specifically state that you are suppose to do do the reset (by pressing enter and menu simultaneously after setting the OPR/SVC switch back to OPR, and before turning the unit on. I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure it says to do this....

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 06/11/08 12:32 PM

Yes, CP1966,

I read this, myself, several times before going through with the proceedure; you are correct!

John
Posted by: Guido

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 06/14/08 08:54 PM

I just did my upgrade (USB) and it went well once I figured out I had to unzip the files. I didn't see anything in the instructions about that so you have to be a little pc savvy to get through it.
Posted by: Bernie

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 06/17/08 01:06 AM

I have downloaded the update into a folder on my laptop. However when I click on the downloaded file that has my units serial number I get an error message regarding winzip. I do not see the .exe file name extension either. I am running Vista. Probably something real basis but what am I missing?
Posted by: Lee Bailey

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 06/17/08 04:19 AM

You should right click on the file, and see if there is an option to extract the files. I know that XP includes the ZIP extraction, don't know about Vista.
Posted by: justhavingfun

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 06/24/08 02:10 AM

I just upgraded firmware for 990 but the end result is unlistenable. I don't know what went wrong, everything seemed to be went smoothly. But the sound is horrible. Resetting does not help. I am going to try to reinstall firmware again. Does anybody experienced similar to mine, sounds becoming extremely scratch and static after firmware upgrade?

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 06/24/08 04:59 AM

confused mad
Oh boy, I just spent last couple hours to 'fix' my upgrade problem with no happy ending. The unit was working fine until this firmware upgrade. It is properly displaying the latest firmware number but the sound is total garbage. Something must be went terribly wrong during the firmware upgrade. I am not sure what is my option other than give Outlaw tech support tomorrow. I hope it can be repaired and I will be out of pre/pro for few weeks, I guess.

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 06/24/08 11:59 AM

Have you tried reloading the firmware?

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 06/24/08 03:27 PM

Yes, I have tried twice now but same result. I am going to call service dept for repair. Maybe they can point me to try different things to try before I sent the unit back.
Posted by: JasonR

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 06/24/08 05:01 PM

Is there a method to downgrade to the previous firmware?

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 06/24/08 05:27 PM

If you have the .BIN file for the previous version you can downgrade simply by installing the old firmware.

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 06/24/08 10:51 PM

After I talked to tech support at Outlaw, they sent me the previous version of firmware. It is same result even with previous version. It is certainly behaving very strangely. After many hours of attempted tries, I decided to sent the unit back to Outlaw for the repair. It goes out tomorrow but I certainly would like to know what happened.
Posted by: Asx

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 06/25/08 03:37 AM

justhavingfun,
In my case it was quite difficult not to move bunch of cables around while I was trying to reach the USB plug. Is it possible that when you were plugging/unplugging the USB cable, you accidentally damaged some other cable or connector? Scratchy sound can happen when a digital line is losing some bits, or analog line having bad contact.

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 06/26/08 04:59 AM

Actually I unhooked everything and moved to near my desktop computer which has Window XP system on it to do the firmware update. I wish it was just the simple mistake or mix up on my part since shipping back to Outlaw was $43. The sound that I was getting after the update was horrible sound and I actually thought I was going to damage my speakers or other components.
Posted by: XenonMan

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 06/26/08 12:07 PM

Is it possible that a cable got damaged during the disconnect/reconnect process? Or maybe one connection got miswired? I would check my wiring if the situation is still a mystery after you get the 990 back.

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 06/26/08 06:59 PM

I have place my back up HT processor in place of 990 and my HT sounds as normal as it can be without any static/scratch noise. The noise I got from my 990 was absolutely not what you want to hear from any HT. But as you suggested I am going to check my entire wiring as well after I got my 990 back.

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 07/17/08 04:20 AM

I just received my repaired 990 and it sounds wonderful as before with latest firmware installed. From the time I shipped the item to Outlaw, it took about three weeks to get it back. It is great customer service from the Outlaw Audio as usual. I am very happy so far with the repair. My back up processor Angstrom 200 served me well for about three weeks but it goes back to two channel D/A converter duty for me.

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 07/17/08 05:13 AM

Glad to hear that you are back in business.
Posted by: Hndamike

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 07/17/08 03:18 PM

How does one check the current version?

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 07/17/08 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hndamike:
How does one check the current version?
(Borrowed from the firmware update notes in my 990 review...) Pressing "SELECT" and "INPUT" on the front panel at the same time while the unit is in standby displays the version number, but be careful because "SELECT" and "MENU" will reset the unit to factory defaults. The version number is displayed as "Version x.xx xx" with the first set of numbers ("x.xx") representing the firmware version (3.10 for the May 21 release, for example) and the second set of numbers (" xx") reflecting the build date of the particular 990 being updated.
Posted by: notfamous

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 08/15/08 12:59 AM

Hi.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried to install the update on a Mac running either XP virtualization software (Like Parallels or Fusion) or BootCamp (running XP directly). As I don't have a PC, this is my only option outside of purchasing a PC or breaking down my system and hauling the 990 somewhere TBD to apply the update (which I really need for my rig).

Cheers.

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 08/15/08 02:28 AM

I haven't heard about folks trying it, but BootCamp should certainly work.

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 09/10/08 01:09 AM

Just reporting back that my firmware update via Bootcamp XP on a Mac Pro went fine. Eventually. The first attempt went awry, and it took awhile to get XP to recognize the 990 on USB after that. I ultimately had to rollback XP to a time before the firmware tool was downloaded to get everything nominal. Then it worked like a charm.

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 09/10/08 09:35 AM

Guys I admire you all for the fortitude and perservence you all have for installing the new software...but I am shy to pull the trigger.
I realize that if I do have a problem that the Outlaw service department will stand by there product but although I have not read about that many problems with installing the upgrade I also have not read about that many Outlaws doing the upgrade and having all that noticeable difference.
I intend to sell my 990 in the future months once the new model comes out...hopefully in the next month or two. The person I am selling it to realizes that the new software will not be installed. He is happy with the product as is and knows that he can do the upgrading at a later date himself.

Notfamou did the Outlaws charge you anything for the installation and or correction to your 990?

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 09/26/08 09:59 PM

Rubbersoul,

I did the firmware updating myself at home, so the Outlaws never actively figured into my situation.

Cheers,
Tim
Posted by: NRBQLou

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 09/28/08 04:38 PM

One thing I haven't seen in this thread (unless I missed something) - what does the upgrade sound like? In which modes? better? no big difference? astounding improvement? etc?

Re: New Firmware Update Questions - 09/29/08 09:35 PM

I think the consensus was that there was improvement for 2 channel sound with some detractors.