Using Tube amps with the 990/1070?

Posted by: Lizard King

Using Tube amps with the 990/1070? - 09/17/07 02:49 PM

Hey Outlaws:

I am thinking of hooking up a pair of VTL compact 100 monoblock tubes amps. I feel their power and sweet mids will make stereo music better.

Anyone us tube amps and have the 1070/990 as a preamp ?

Liz
Posted by: Videodrome

Re: Using Tube amps with the 990/1070? - 09/17/07 07:05 PM

Liz:

I can only offer up my experience with tube amps in general, which really isn't the feedback you're looking for. But based on that, IMHO, how well the VTLs work with your system will rest heavily on their synergy with your Alons.

I wish I could think of some Outlaws out there who are using tubes -- but at the moment, none come to mind.

Best,

- VD
Posted by: gonk

Re: Using Tube amps with the 990/1070? - 09/17/07 07:29 PM

The only tube-using gunslinger that I know of doesn't post here anymore: soundhound. He was an early adopter of the Model 950 back in 2002 and helped test the red dot and blue dot revisions that tweaked the analog section, and his system uses actively bi-amped and actively tri-amped speakers driven by an array of tube amps (mostly 5W or 10W amps to drive horns in his Altec Lansing Voice of the Theater speakers). Folks who have heard it say that it's a remarkable sounding system, but it's also a fairly unique system.

Re: Using Tube amps with the 990/1070? - 09/17/07 07:43 PM

Sounds like he may have been using single ended triodes (SET) with those super efficient speakers. That's a level of uber-geekdom that even makes me squeamish. laugh
Posted by: charlie

Re: Using Tube amps with the 990/1070? - 09/17/07 08:17 PM

He was a hardcore enthusiast who also made his living in the biz of movie soundtracks, mixing I think it was. Very talented and dare I say rational guy. I believe he finally got tired of the endless stream of cluelessness and not having the patience of gonk (or Job) he just exited.

One of my favorite quotes came via the hound: "What the world needs is a really good 10 watt amplifier", attributed I believe to Paul W. Klipsch.

On topic I used a ST70 for a while, and I'm not sure what the question is. It sounded just like an ST70; pretty good. If you like the amps use them?

Re: Using Tube amps with the 990/1070? - 09/17/07 08:33 PM

If I recall correctly, soundhound's work schedule got too hectic and his involvement in several forums (not just this one, as he was a fixture at S&V as well) too time consuming, so around mid-2005 he took an extended leave from online forums. I've seen him back over at S&V using a new name.
Posted by: charlie

Re: Using Tube amps with the 990/1070? - 09/17/07 08:37 PM

I loved his "8/12/16" bit demo CD. A work of art. Too bad he's not back here but then he's a talented and (apparently) busy guy so I suppose that's just how it goes. His recording of organ music was awe-inspiring as well.

Man loves his bass.
Posted by: slbenz

Re: Using Tube amps with the 990/1070? - 09/17/07 09:11 PM

Hi Lizard King,

The best I can offer is my experiences using tube buffers with my 990. I am pleased with the tube buffers to give me that extra warmth, bass and detail (without the digital edginess) I wanted vs. without. You can see via my signature that I even use a Jolida tube phono preamp. I always liked the idea of being able to change out the tubes so that I can "tailor" the sound of my system to my liking. You can do the same with the VTL amps. The VTLs should have enough power to drive your speakers. Hope this helps you.

Re: Using Tube amps with the 990/1070? - 09/18/07 07:30 AM

Hi Slbenz,

I see you sig and was hoping to hear from you. I may try the VTL amps in a few weeks. I am hoping I can use them for 2 channel and then use the 1070 for rears and center.

I bought the Alons from my buddy and now I may want the VTL's as they are a better mach. Of course I can't use the remote to turn them on or of and I can't leave then on a lot like i do with the 1070.

Re: Using Tube amps with the 990/1070? - 09/18/07 03:23 PM

Lizard King,

Just be prepared to upgrade the rear and center with VTLs. I think you will be quite pleased and surprised by the difference what the VTLs can do for your front mains. Using tube power in the fronts vs. solid state power in the other channels will produce a difference in tonality, especially if you start changing out tubes like I did. Home theater purists will tell you that the power supplies for each channel sound be the same as well as the speakers. I ended up purchasing enough tube buffers to connect to all of my 5.1 channels for that tube warmth all around. The route I took gave me the closest to having a tube home theater preamp with a solid state power amp, which for my Magnepans are a better match vs. solid state home theater preamp and tube power amp. Your Alons should work much better with the Outlaw/VTL combo than my Magnepans. Don't forget to purchase a set of Herbie's Audio Lab tube dampers. They make quite a bit of difference in the noise floor and detail for the VTLs. The tube dampers help to eliminate the microphonics present in the tubes which can muddy the sound. Good luck, and let us know how it sounds.

Slbenz
Posted by: Ron Carlton

Re: Using Tube amps with the 990/1070? - 09/25/07 09:06 PM

I'm running McIntosh MC-275 Mk IV with the Outlaw 990. No problems. I love the sound. They seem to have a good synergy with the Outlaw 990. I love the way piano notes hang in the air with the tube amps. I use tubes for both two-channel and multi-channel listening (i.e. movies).

Re: Using Tube amps with the 990/1070? - 09/26/07 03:27 AM

Hey,

I am still hoping to use teh VTL's as my front amps for Music while using the 1070 for the Center and rears.

Re: Using Tube amps with the 990/1070? - 09/26/07 02:04 PM

Lizard King,

You should no problem using the VTL / 1070 combo. It justs depends how critical you are with surround sound. I started with the front mains then later worked on the center and surrounds because I listen to DVD-A and SACD recordings. When I had my front mains connected to the tube buffer and listened to movies, I didn't have a problem listening this way. Only when I decided to listen to DVD-A and SACD discs did I hear a difference in sound which prompted me to add the tube buffers to the center and rears. But that is just me. I suspect you will have a very good time with the VTLs powering your mains. Enjoy!
Posted by: xcortes

Re: Using Tube amps with the 990/1070? - 10/02/07 07:22 PM

I just installed my Outlaw 990 last week in a new home, new system. All amplifiers are tube, single ended triodes. Currently different amps for center and surrounds but soon to be all the same, 300B SETs with 8 watts power each. Speakers are Pi speakers pro four with JBL drivers, 97 dB efficient. Subwoofer is a Revel B15. Altogether I have six 15 incher woofers.

Sources are a Sony BDP-S1 blue ray player via 7.1, an oppo uspsampling DVD and a vinnie rossie modified ipod with lossless audio for 2 channel. Eventually I will replace the BDP when the new generation of players comes out and I can get something that does SACD too but I'm in no hurry on that front.

I'm using a 46 inch LCD Sony Bravia XBR3 display.

According to videodrome I would classify as an ubergeek.

Again. I've just been living in this house and with this system for about one week but so far it's fantastic. Even for two channel it sounds real good.

I spent some time yesterday setting up the remote. Still need to set up the oppo and the blue ray player but I'll post a different post on that.

Here are some links to posts on other forum showing the progress. Still need to post the most recent progress:

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=bottlehead&n=117360&highlight=xcortes&r=&session=

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?forum=bottlehead&n=120568&highlight=xcortes&r=&session=

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?forum=bottlehead&n=121840&highlight=xcortes&r=&session=

Re: Using Tube amps with the 990/1070? - 10/02/07 08:04 PM

Around here, the ubergeek moniker is one of respect. smile

Looks like a pretty cool system. Keep us posted!

Re: Using Tube amps with the 990/1070? - 10/02/07 09:06 PM

Great stuff, xcortes.