Reading Firmare Level and Updating Firmware

Posted by: mdrconsult

Reading Firmare Level and Updating Firmware - 09/01/07 05:38 PM

Hi,

I have had my 990 since early May. I think there has been some firmware updates since then. However, I am not sure how I check the firmware level on my system. I have read through the manual and I didn't seem to find anything on listing the firmware level or updating it. Can anyone point me to the procedures to do this? Also, is it worth the time and effort to upgrade to the new level, i.e. is there enough noticeable changes?

Thank You,
Mark D. Rodriguez
Posted by: gonk

Re: Reading Firmare Level and Updating Firmware - 09/01/07 06:39 PM

The latest firmware version is 3.11, released in the summer of 2006. I don't think that you need a firmware update. To check that, however, you can check the firmware using the following procedure (described in Outlaw's firmware update instructions on their site and in my 990 firmware update notes ): Pressing "SELECT" and "INPUT" on the front panel at the same time while the unit is in standby displays the version number, but be careful because "SELECT" and "MENU" will reset the unit to factory defaults. The version number is displayed as "Version x.xx xx" with the first set of numbers ("x.xx") representing the firmware version (3.11 for the latest release, for example) and the second set of numbers (" xx") reflecting the build date of the particular 990 being updated. That second set of numbers has appeared most often as either "03" or "04".
Posted by: mdrconsult

Re: Reading Firmare Level and Updating Firmware - 09/01/07 08:07 PM

Thanks Gonk,

I checked my system and it is at 3.07 04, so I guess that means I need an update. I am a little surprised since you are saying the last update was in summer 2006 and I bought my unit in May 2007 I would have thought it would have had the latest update. Would you recommend that I go ahead and update it to the 3.11 level?

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
Mark D. Rodriguez

Re: Reading Firmare Level and Updating Firmware - 09/01/07 08:33 PM

Yes, I'd suggest updating to 3.11.
Posted by: budgetaudiophile

Re: Reading Firmare Level and Updating Firmware - 10/16/07 01:09 AM

Mine came with 3.07 firmware, too. So far, this is my only complaint. I'm not sure why a new unit would come with 16 month old firmware. It's not a big deal, except that I have to go and set it up again now that I've updated the firmware to 3.11.

I guess I should have asked to have it updated prior to shipping. I thought about it, but didn't follow through with the request.
Posted by: steve1173

Re: Reading Firmare Level and Updating Firmware - 11/10/07 01:12 PM

Just got mine the other day it too is 3.07.04. But I am having great troubles trying to update via usb. When I get to the dialog box to browse for the "outlaw.inf it is no where to be found. It is in the program files but the install new hardware box won't let me find or select it. All that is in the box is "firmware" which cannot be selected & "990 drivers" which can be but no "outlaw.inf". Any ideas????
Posted by: Lee Bailey

Re: Reading Firmare Level and Updating Firmware - 11/10/07 02:44 PM

Look in the device manager and see if you have an unknown device. If you do, then double click on it, choose the driver tab, and perform the Update Driver. You'll want to select the location. Browse to the file and let it do its stuff.
Posted by: akdrama

Re: Reading Firmare Level and Updating Firmware - 11/10/07 11:37 PM

But I am having great troubles trying to update via usb. [/QUOTE]

I was under the impression from the manual...that firmware upgrades via usb connection was unreliable. Have I missed something and/or has there been success with upgrading via usb?

AK

Re: Reading Firmare Level and Updating Firmware - 11/11/07 02:28 AM

I updated my 990 right after receiving it, using the USB connection. I had no issues at all. But then, I'm a computer geek! laugh

Re: Reading Firmare Level and Updating Firmware - 11/11/07 03:43 AM

Like Lee and a number of others, I've also used the USB connection to update my 990 (more than once, actually, since I installed both the 3.10 and the 3.11 updates). You need to pay close attention to the instructions, but it's do-able.
Posted by: openhelix

Re: Reading Firmare Level and Updating Firmware - 11/11/07 03:59 AM

AK, you might be thinking of the 970 and using a USB-to-serial adapter. I believe on the 990, USB is the preferred method.

Re: Reading Firmare Level and Updating Firmware - 11/11/07 05:50 AM

That could be - some USB-to-serial adapters worked fine for the 1070/970, while others apparently took an insanely long time. With the 990, USB or RS232 will work fine, but USB is becoming much easier to find...
Posted by: steve1173

Re: Reading Firmare Level and Updating Firmware - 11/11/07 11:52 AM

I have been following the directions but the part that holds it up is when it says for the dialog box "outlaw.inf", the dialog box gives me 2 options "firmware" which it does not let me select & "990 drivers" which it does let me select which contains the outlaw.inf among other files. It loads that total files but nothing happens. I can't seem to just get outlaw.inf. Also I loaded that 990 drivers, did system reset still have 3.07.04.

Re: Reading Firmare Level and Updating Firmware - 11/11/07 01:48 PM

IMPORTANT NOTE: In the event that an error occurs during the upgrade, the process will stop and a pop-up box will appear with a “Device (Outlaw) Restart!” message. If this happens check the data connection cable, click on the “OK” button within the pop-up and then turn the Model 990 Off and then On again within one second. Click on the Upgrade button in the software loader and restart the process from Step 7.

I had the above happen to me the first time I tried to load the firmware. The above procedure allowed the firmware to upgrade. Did this happen to you?