Unable to get DVD video with Outlaw 990

Posted by: Ron Carlton

Unable to get DVD video with Outlaw 990 - 07/28/07 04:33 PM

I have an Oppo DV981HD and have so far been unable to get a video signal through the Outlaw 990.

Background:Prior to purchase of the Outlaw 990 the Oppo was hooked directly to my Mitsubishi WD-62725 via HDMI cable, and audio by Toslink and 6-channel RCA cables to my Denon AVR-3200. All worked fine. My satellite box was hooked to the TV via composite connectors, audio via RCA.

Current configuration: The Oppo is hooked to the Outlaw 990 via HDMI-DVI cable to DVI-1, audio by Toslink. The satellite box is hooked via DVI-DVI cable to the Outlaw DVI-2, audio via Toslink to the Outlaw. DVI out from the Outlaw to the TV via DVI-HDMI cable to the HDMI connection on the TV.

Problem: With the Outlaw set to DVD I get audio but no video. With the Outlaw set to Sat TV, Satellite TV works fine, no problems. I have swapped both connections around with the same no video signal from the DVD, video from satellite TV is fine.

Double checked to make sure DVD is assigned DVI-1 and SAT TV assigned to DVI-2. SAT TV works fine. I get no video signal from the Oppo DVD player, only audio.

Retested Oppo player by connecting directly to the TV via HDMI and it works perfectly. Tested HDMI-DVI cable by using satellite receiver. Works perfectly. Made sure Oppo and TV are both set at 720P. I still get no video signal...only audio.

Updated firmware to 3.11. Reset the outlaw to factory defaults. Still get no video signal.

Contacted both Oppo and Outlaw service, they recommended that I check everything outlined above.

Video Inputs:
DVD DVI 1
Sat TV (Video 2) DVI 2
TV (Video 1) not connected to Outlaw

It must be something very obvious I am overlooking...help confused frown !
Posted by: gonk

Re: Unable to get DVD video with Outlaw 990 - 07/28/07 04:42 PM

You mention swapping connections - have you swapped cables around? There's always a chance that the HDMI-DVI cable that you are using between the 981HD and the 990 is bad.

Re: Unable to get DVD video with Outlaw 990 - 07/28/07 04:56 PM

I swapped cables around. I used the HDMI-DVI cable from the Oppo to Outlaw with no video. Used the same cable from Satellite receiver to TV, which worked fine. So it looks like the cable is good.
Posted by: slbenz

Re: Unable to get DVD video with Outlaw 990 - 07/28/07 08:44 PM

Ron,

Though I don't own an Oppo 981, I do own an Oppo 970 which has the feature to only play in audio mode and turn off the video circuit. Play with the Audio Only button and see. Also, did you double check the connections and inputs to be sure they are set correctly? Sounds like the cable is fine. Other than the audio only feature, I can't think of anything else unless it was plugged in incorrectly or the input setting is incorrect.

Slbenz

Re: Unable to get DVD video with Outlaw 990 - 07/28/07 09:01 PM

Thanks. I have been scouring both the Oppo and Outlaw manuals for a clue. Even scanning the Outlaw forum for any similar problems. Can't believe I am the only one with this problem, that's why I figure it is something simple I am overlooking.

Re: Unable to get DVD video with Outlaw 990 - 07/28/07 09:36 PM

The 981HD doesn't have an "audio only" option like the 970HD, so we can rule that one out.

It really is odd, Ron - I've had a 981HD in my system since last October and it's run through my 990 the whole time without a problem. Odd that the DVI input works with other sources and the 981HD works bypassing the switching, but it doesn't work when you switch it. How long are your video cables?

Re: Unable to get DVD video with Outlaw 990 - 07/28/07 09:43 PM

gonk,
The HDMI-DVI cable that I have been using from the Oppo is a Belkin cable, ~3' long. I purchased this cable nearly 3 years ago when I got the HDTV and HD sat receiver. The other two cables in the mix are from Blue Jeans cable and are 7' (HDMI-DVI) and 9' (DVI-DVI)and are three days old.

I scoured through the forums and found two other threads that look like my problem. Bumped them to the first page...no one seemed to have a solution frown .

Re: Unable to get DVD video with Outlaw 990 - 07/28/07 10:00 PM

Glancing at the Blue Jeans site when discussing HDMI-DVI cables they made an interesting point: "These cables function equally well in either direction: HDMI to DVI, or DVI to HDMI." Based on this statement I wonder if there are cables that don't work in both directions? I was only able to test the Belkin cable DVI out to HDMI in, not the other way around. I am trying to run that cable HDMI out to DVI in. Could this be the problem confused ?

Re: Unable to get DVD video with Outlaw 990 - 07/28/07 10:46 PM

Ron,

Got me stumped to. If it is not installing the connectors or programming the input correctly, try a different cable and see if that would make a difference. I don't think these cables you are using are directional in order to work. My worse thought is that maybe you accidently switched the DVI cables where one should be in the input while the other is in the output and were reversed. If not, then could the DVI switch within the Outlaw not work in the DVI1 position? Try it in the DVI2 position and see if it works there since your satellite receiver works there. Then you know that you have a bad DVI1 position.

Slbenz

Re: Unable to get DVD video with Outlaw 990 - 07/28/07 11:05 PM

Slbenz,
I doubt the cable is directional...course you never know.

I have tried the DVD in both the DVI1 and DVI2 position with no video.

I just checked to make sure the correct cable is coming from the DVI-out...correct DVI-HDMI cable into the TV. Hard to get them confused.

I'm frustrated mad , it should work. I wonder about the two other threads I bumped in which others had the same problem. Why didn't they report the solution if they got it fixed? I have a nagging feeling I'm overlooking something very obvious, but what?
Posted by: garcianc2003

Re: Unable to get DVD video with Outlaw 990 - 07/28/07 11:34 PM

If you used the Oppo's cable with the cable box and it worked, how about the other way around? have you tried a DVI-DVI cable with a DVI-HDMI connector on the Oppo's side?
It will only cost you the price of a DVI-HDMI adapter to test.
That's how my 970HD is connected.

Just curious. Did you install the latest firmware on the Oppo? I am wondering if this is some sort of HDCP-related problem.

Re: Unable to get DVD video with Outlaw 990 - 07/29/07 12:48 AM

My cable box is a DVI out so it would not work with the Oppo. I have not tried a DVI-DVI cable with an HDMI adapter. I have a nagging feeling it is the cable (despite being Belkins top of the line HDMI-DVI cable).

Not sure what firmware I have on my Oppo...I am assuming MVer: 05.00.01.07 Batch: 0-1227B since I purchased it in May. Just checked...I have the latest version of the firmware.

Re: Unable to get DVD video with Outlaw 990 - 07/29/07 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Carlton:
My cable box is a DVI out so it would not work with the Oppo.
I knew that from your earlier post. What I meant was use the same DVI cable you are using for your cable box and just add a DVI-HDMI adapter on the side where you would plug it into the Oppo.

Re: Unable to get DVD video with Outlaw 990 - 07/29/07 02:12 PM

I had another thought. Perhaps it has something to do with HDCP and the order in which I turn everything on? I'll give that a try.

Re: Unable to get DVD video with Outlaw 990 - 07/29/07 02:22 PM

That's definitely worth trying.

Re: Unable to get DVD video with Outlaw 990 - 07/29/07 03:41 PM

Tried turning everything on in the following order:
Outlaw>TV>Oppo
Oppo>TV>Outlaw
Outlaw>Oppo>TV
Oppo>Outlaw>TV
TV>Outlaw>Oppo
TV>Oppo>Outlaw

Nothing! mad

Looks like the last thing to try is getting another HDMI-DVI cable to replace the $80 Belkin. Thank goodness prices have come down, I can get a HDMI-DVI adapter for $5.39 delivered to use with the HDMI cable that came with the Oppo.
Posted by: Skyblazer

Re: Unable to get DVD video with Outlaw 990 - 07/29/07 05:37 PM

try hooking up your DVD player to the 990 DVI #2 input. maybe there is a problem with the DVI #1 input.

just a thought.

Oops, I see you already tried this with no success.

Re: Unable to get DVD video with Outlaw 990 - 07/29/07 08:03 PM

Ron,

Good luck. Hope switching out the cable was the problem. Keep us posted.
Posted by: PodBoy

Re: Unable to get DVD video with Outlaw 990 - 07/29/07 08:59 PM

Defintely sounds like an HDCP authentication problem.

Re: Unable to get DVD video with Outlaw 990 - 07/30/07 03:46 AM

Here is a response I got from Oppo (at 10:14pm on a Sunday night) eek :

Is your Outlaw receiver HDCP compliant through the DVI interface? If it is not, then you will not get any video playback at all.

Have you tried any other HDMI based content sources on your receiver?

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.

I don't know the answer to the question. Anyone?

Re: Unable to get DVD video with Outlaw 990 - 07/30/07 05:27 AM

i didn't seen anything in the users manual for the 990 pre that talks about HDCP. so you may want to call Outlaw support for that.

Re: Unable to get DVD video with Outlaw 990 - 07/30/07 12:09 PM

The DVI switching is HDCP compliant. I have both a 980H and a 981HD connected through my 990's DVI switching as I type this.

Re: Unable to get DVD video with Outlaw 990 - 07/30/07 04:39 PM

hmmm. very odd then. I'm stumped.

Re: Unable to get DVD video with Outlaw 990 - 07/30/07 08:02 PM

I will expand on my previous two posts because it is apparently not very clear what I was recommending:

1. Get a cheap DVI->HDMI adapter like these

2. "borrow" the DVI-DVI cable that you are using for your satellite box and that you know works thru the 990.

3. Attach the DVI->HDMI adapter from step 1 to the end of the DVI cable.

4. Connect the side with the HDMI adapter to the Oppo and the DVI side to the 990.

If it works: Congratulations, you can save the HDMI cable for a (very) rainy day and go get yourself another DVI cable.

If it doesn't work: try changing resolutions on the Oppo and/or your television.

If it still doesn't work: I only wasted you $6-$10. Sorry...

Good luck smile

Re: Unable to get DVD video with Outlaw 990 - 07/31/07 12:02 AM

garcianc2003,
I'm going to try an HDMI to DVI adapter. That way I can use the Oppo's HDMI cable, which I know works, to test.

Already tried changing the resolutions of the DVD player and TV with no luck.
Posted by: Snarl

Re: Unable to get DVD video with Outlaw 990 - 07/31/07 11:14 AM

I'm running a Toshiba HD-A20 through DVI-1 and Toslink and a Samsung BD-P1200 through DVI-2 and Toslink using cheap HDMI/DVI Adapter Cables then to my Sony TV also using a cheap HDMI/DVI Adapter Cable (All Belkin I believe). All through my 990 and all works excellent and switches just fine between the two, although there is sometimes a delay for the Video to kick in (5-15 Seconds) that I've attributed to an HDMI Handshaking issue. Based on this I'd say the 990 is HDCP compliant. Have you gone into your Video Input selection menu on the 990 to insure you've got the Video input set to the correct DVI-# for each device ? (Page 24ish of the manual).

Cheers; Snarl

Re: Unable to get DVD video with Outlaw 990 - 07/31/07 11:26 AM

Quote:
Already tried changing the resolutions of the DVD player and TV with no luck.
It is still worth a shot when you try a different cable... Good luck.

Re: Unable to get DVD video with Outlaw 990 - 07/31/07 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by garcianc2003:
"borrow" the DVI-DVI cable that you are using for your satellite box and that you know works thru the 990.
I got the sinking feeling that I must be missing something...

Quote:
I'm going to try an HDMI to DVI adapter. That way I can use the Oppo's HDMI cable, which I know works, to test.
So this whole thread has been about trying to figure out why the Belkin HDMI-DVI cable didn't work with the 990 and your other cables did?

I think I'll be quiet now. I have been answering the wrong question. Sorry. frown
Posted by: Rob B

Re: Unable to get DVD video with Outlaw 990 - 07/31/07 10:41 PM

Is the Oppo outputting a 1080p signal. If so, can the 990 pass that ?

Re: Unable to get DVD video with Outlaw 990 - 07/31/07 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob B:
Is the Oppo outputting a 1080p signal. If so, can the 990 pass that ?
I've tried all different resolutions of signals, from 480p to 1080p. Nothing.

In fact Edward from Outlaw suggested the same thing:
"From my experience, there have been plenty of Outlaw customers using their Oppo DVD players with DVI-HDMI adapters without issue. Are there any other video option settings resolution wise etc, within the Oppo that can be adjusted? Perhaps steering away from 720p and shooting for 1080i or 1080p or even 480p just as a test."

Re: Unable to get DVD video with Outlaw 990 - 08/01/07 04:19 AM

Ron,

Did you try to press the P/N button to determine if your Oppo is set for NTSC and not PAL? I looked at the 981 manual and hopefully that could be the answer you are looking for.

Re: Unable to get DVD video with Outlaw 990 - 08/01/07 11:53 PM

OK...problem fixed. Received the HDMI-DVI adapter. Used the HDMI cable that came with the Oppo. Hooked it up. Works perfectly! Looks like the Belkin DVI to HDMI cable only goes one way! Since I paid nearly $80 for the Belkin cable I wonder what kind of warranty it has?

Re: Unable to get DVD video with Outlaw 990 - 08/02/07 12:28 AM

Ron,

Congratulations on solving the problem. Now it's time to completely enjoy your Outlaw 990!! Figures it would be a cable issue.

Re: Unable to get DVD video with Outlaw 990 - 08/02/07 02:31 AM

Ron,

congrats on getting your video problem solved. It had some of us stumped.. glad it was a cable adapter issue and not the 990 pre amp.

enjoy your video again.

Re: Unable to get DVD video with Outlaw 990 - 08/02/07 02:40 AM

Whew! Glad to hear you got to the bottom of that one, Ron - that was a pretty crazy problem.

Re: Unable to get DVD video with Outlaw 990 - 08/09/07 01:17 AM

Got this reply from Belkin regarding the cable:

Thank you for contacting Belkin customer support
The adapter works in both directions. DVI doesn`t have any audio out the video will work in both directions.
Thank you
Jay Bush
Belkin International, Inc.
Customer Support
www.belkin.com/support

Re: Unable to get DVD video with Outlaw 990 - 08/09/07 04:32 PM

I don't think anything Belkin could tell you would help make the cable work.

From their response, they basically ruled out you buying the wrong cable as the problem and pretty much means that you must have a defective cable.
Ca-ching!

Re: Unable to get DVD video with Outlaw 990 - 08/09/07 04:48 PM

On the one hand, not having directionality on the cable as the underlying problem is reassuring in a way - I'm not sure how that would work for DVI and HDMI cables. On the other hand, we're still left with the fact that a different cable worked where the Belkin one didn't.

Re: Unable to get DVD video with Outlaw 990 - 08/09/07 11:17 PM

Belkin has agreed to replace the cable. It has a lifetime warranty. Found this on the Blue Jeans website that might shed more light on the problem I had:

"In principle, HDMI is supposed always to be backward-compatible with DVI, so that any HDMI device should work with any DVI-D single-link device. In practice, although the two almost always work together, it's not uncommon to run into device compatibility issues."

Re: Unable to get DVD video with Outlaw 990 - 08/31/07 04:14 PM

Follow up. Called Belkin about a replacement cable (lifetime warranty). Put the new Belkin cable into the system. Works perfectly. Clearly the first cable was bad. Strange that it could pass signal from DVI to HDMI but not the other way around.

Re: Unable to get DVD video with Outlaw 990 - 08/31/07 07:00 PM

Good to hear that Belkin replaced it for you. Definitely an odd cable failure...

Re: Unable to get DVD video with Outlaw 990 - 08/31/07 11:14 PM

that's a happy ending to the story. thanks for letting us know.. i'm sure a few bad cables make it to the store now and then. glad they honored their policy. WTG!