power conditioners

Posted by: bwallen77

power conditioners - 11/11/06 06:58 PM

Gonk or anyone else knowledgable with electrical engineering.
Im buying a monster power hts 3500 power conditioner which is rated at 15 amps over 10 outlets. Is this enough for my home theater setup. I have a 990/7125 combo with a rear projection 57 inch hdtv. I also run a xbox 360 and hd dvr.
Posted by: Craigo87

Re: power conditioners - 11/17/06 05:23 PM

The 15 amp rating doesn't tell us much. However, the outlaw 7125, has the potential to draw 875 watts which is significant. Klipsh speakers are very efficient, so unless you plan on blowing out your eardrums, you'll likely never push the amp to max pwr output. The xbox 360 and hd dvr have a negligible draw I'm sure. I suspect the hdtv doesn't draw a terribly large load of current either. If you're wondering if you'll exceed the 15 amp capacity of the conditioner with the equipment listed, the answer I believe is no. You should be safe.

It would be helpful if these marketing goofs would provide useable information in the specifications for their products. I tried to find a max. power rating for any of the internal circuits of the Monster (online), but found nothing. Ito wouldn't hurt to contact Monster and check out their customer service. I have an old Adcom ACE-515 AC Enhancer that has a max. pwr rating for the high current outlets(2) of 500 watts. But this is an old 80's vintage conditioner. I strongly suspect the Monster is a more robust unit.

Craigo
Posted by: Viejo Loco

Re: power conditioners - 11/17/06 06:13 PM

I concur with Craigo on this. It should be more than enough for the equipment you are using.
Posted by: gonk

Re: power conditioners - 11/17/06 06:30 PM

I also agree - a 15A conditioner is plenty, although I'd make sure you plug the 7125 into a high-current outlet on the power conditioner if it has one (probably labeled as "high current" or for use with power amps).
Posted by: bwallen77

Re: power conditioners - 11/17/06 08:44 PM

thanks