Just ordered the 990 to replace B&K

Posted by: WildWolf

Just ordered the 990 to replace B&K - 10/20/06 09:50 AM

I LOVED my B&K 3090 preamp processor. I had it in my system for 10 years. About 6 weeks ago I heard some static coming from the left rear surround. I took it to my local Hi End repair facility who told me my processing board was fried frown and that B&K no longer makes replacement boards for my unit.

I have always attended the Home Theater Show at the Hilton in NYC and I never missed OUTLAW's presentation. When it became apparent that I needed a new preamp- this is the first company I thought of. I looked at a new B&K, Rotel, Bryston and Lexicon. In the end, I couldn't justify spending the extra money.

My 990 will hopefully arrive shortly. I will be connecting it to either my Aragon 8008X3 amp for the front channels or a Carver TFM-35 and Marantz MA-500 monoblocks. The speakers are Sonus Faber Grand Pianos, Solo Center and Concertino rears. I am using a Veleodyne F-1200 servo sub. TV is the Sony 36 XBR Hi Def along with a Sony DVD Changer, Pioneer LD player and Cablevision HD DVR cablebox.

I will post pictures when it is all together.
Posted by: gonk

Re: Just ordered the 990 to replace B&K - 10/20/06 10:00 AM

I look forward to hearing how you like the new setup!
Posted by: tweeterman

Re: Just ordered the 990 to replace B&K - 10/20/06 11:40 AM

You have quite the set up for a bedroom. You must spend a lot of time there. laugh

Re: Just ordered the 990 to replace B&K - 10/20/06 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tweeterman:
You have quite the set up for a bedroom. You must spend a lot of time there. laugh
laugh Yup!!! It is where I spend 80% of my time while in the house. The kids usually have the wiggles on in the livingroom and when I do watch a movie in the livingroom, the wife complains the house is shaking (gotta love the SVS for movies!). I watch 2-3 movies a week (at night) in the bedroom and no one complains about the "noise".

I used to have the systems reversed but since the kids came along, I prefer to have my "good" equipment in the bedroom where they can't destroy it and I can enjoy it. wink
Posted by: tweeterman

Re: Just ordered the 990 to replace B&K - 10/23/06 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by WildWolf:
[QUOTE]

I used to have the systems reversed but since the kids came along, I prefer to have my "good" equipment in the bedroom where they can't destroy it and I can enjoy it. wink
Good thinking, when my boy was little he used to like using my previous subwoofer driver as a drum. Looked the surface of the moon after a few months.

Re: Just ordered the 990 to replace B&K - 10/23/06 07:54 PM

still waiting for my 990.....should be here before the end of the week.

Re: Just ordered the 990 to replace B&K - 10/26/06 04:25 PM

the 990 was just delivered to my office! Going home to set it up in an hour.
Posted by: Videodrome

Re: Just ordered the 990 to replace B&K - 10/26/06 04:39 PM

That's a heck of a bedroom system! Enjoy the 990.

Re: Just ordered the 990 to replace B&K - 10/28/06 06:29 PM

Initial observations......

The B&K was much smoother on the top but the 990 has better low end response. I will continue to play with it. Are there other settings besides large/ small and xover settings?