............Audio-video asynchrony

Posted by: JSJ1

............Audio-video asynchrony - 07/28/06 06:55 PM

I am setting-up my new 990/7125 combo and I have A-V asynchrony. But it's not audio before video, it's the opposite. Video events occur before the relevant audio events. I figure it has to be the DVD player (Pioneer DV-444), but I can't find lip-sync adjustment in the DVD set-up. I have played around with the audio output modes, but no luck.
Before the 990/7125 I had a 1050 with which I used the same DVD player. With that duo I ran component video out directly to my TV and never had a problem. Audio was per optical digital input to the 1050. Now audio digital output to the 990 is by the same optical link. Video output is via Outlaw silver cables to 990 and the link with the same TV is by same Monster component cables as before.
Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks. John confused
Posted by: FAUguy

Re: ............Audio-video asynchrony - 07/28/06 10:24 PM

I have a Pioneer Elite DV-37 using Component out to my HDTV and Optical out to 990.
I am also using the 7125.
I haven't had any lip-sync problems.
Posted by: stickpony

Re: ............Audio-video asynchrony - 07/28/06 10:52 PM

It seems like I read a post on one of the Saloon forums about this awhile back where someone was having the same issue. You might try running a search if you haven't already.

In any event, did you by any chance change any of the audio settings on your DVD player when you got the 990? Specifically, I'm thinking of how the player is setup to handle the Dolby Digital/DTS signal.
Posted by: gonk

Re: ............Audio-video asynchrony - 07/29/06 01:10 PM

Having the video ahead of the audio is a pretty odd situation - the reason for typical AV sync problems is the time required for video processors to manipulate the video signal. I'd check to make sure that there are no speaker distance delay settings set up in the DVD player (they shouldn't affect the digital output, but just to be on the safe side make sure they're zero'd anyway) and double-check the speaker distance settings in the 990.

Re: ............Audio-video asynchrony - 07/29/06 02:08 PM

Thanks to all. I'll check the issues you raise and get back.
John
Posted by: barend

Re: ............Audio-video asynchrony - 07/29/06 04:04 PM

The only times I saw this when using a download per Astra satellite, but it's very rare and was corrected within a few hours.

Re: ............Audio-video asynchrony - 07/29/06 06:44 PM

In response to stickpony, there is no change in DD/DTS setup. I have tried many combinations of changes to avail.
In response to gonk, I have downloaded the new 990 firmware and will wait til I have installed it tomorrow to test the issues you bring up - - ie, if I can wrestle my grandson away from the XBox and reclaim the HT.
I have more DVD players and will try one of those.
John
Posted by: Daryl

Re: ............Audio-video asynchrony - 07/29/06 07:15 PM

I had the same problem when I first got my 990. I almost threw it out the window. To fix mine I did a System Reset (page 48 of owners manual) and also unplugged the 990 from power overnight. Then I configured the 990 manually. I'm not sure which one of those fixed it. I suspected it had something to do with the Automatic Setep.
Posted by: SRW1000

Re: ............Audio-video asynchrony - 07/29/06 08:42 PM

I also had the same problem, and a system reset took care of it.

Scott
Posted by: Skyblazer

Re: ............Audio-video asynchrony - 07/29/06 11:50 PM

when you do a system reset it doesn't lose it's upgraded software does it? and how do you do a system reset?

Re: ............Audio-video asynchrony - 07/30/06 12:02 AM

The system reset does not affect the installed firmware. It only resets the user settings (input settings, speaker settings, and such). To reset the unit, hold down the "ENTER" and "MENU" buttons on the front panel while the unit is in standby mode.
Posted by: Skyblazer

Re: ............Audio-video asynchrony - 07/30/06 03:28 PM

will doing a system reset set the inputs i renamed to the default settings?

Re: ............Audio-video asynchrony - 07/30/06 04:14 PM

Yes, it will. It will return the 990 back to its original state (input names, speaker sizes, crossovers, and such as that).
Posted by: SRW1000

Re: ............Audio-video asynchrony - 07/30/06 08:47 PM

Just as a warning, unplugging the unit may also correct the audio/video sync problem. I probably should have tried that first when I had the issue, but I went straight for the reset.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to just pull the plug first.

Scott

Re: ............Audio-video asynchrony - 07/31/06 05:05 PM

Thanks, Daryl. It worked for me too. I think gonk was onto it with his advice to check speaker distances. Anyway RESET cured the problem.
I had the same problem with a new Panasonic DVD player that I tried yesterday. With that experience I suspected my optical cable and switched the audio input to coax. And of course that didn't fix anything. I was ready to send the 990 back to Outlaw.
This forum is invaluable. My wife had just about had it with my whining.
Thanks to all. John

Re: ............Audio-video asynchrony - 08/01/06 06:42 PM

I installed the new firmware (USB) without a hiccup.
My DVD player images have never looked so good. CDs sound amazingly better using the 990 DAC. When I used the 1050, CDs sounded better using the CD player (Njoe Tjoeb) onboard DAC. I'm delighted with the new electronics.
Thanks to all.
John