No audio on certain channels via cable box

Posted by: kgt

No audio on certain channels via cable box - 07/14/06 07:28 PM

I have found at least 4 channels on my cable box that have no audio coming through. The problem has to be either with the cable box of the 990, I think.

I'm using Outlaw's optical cable to connect the cable box and the 990.

Anyone had a similar experience?

Thanks
Posted by: Laventura

Re: No audio on certain channels via cable box - 07/14/06 09:26 PM

Are those four channels, HD channels ?
Have you tried turning up the volume ?
some HD channels I get...have lower sound than regular channels for some weird reason...
I hope it's nothing more...
Posted by: PodBoy

Re: No audio on certain channels via cable box - 07/14/06 11:51 PM

Are you certain that the channels in question have digital audio?

Re: No audio on certain channels via cable box - 07/15/06 02:20 AM

They are not HD channels - the only 2 that I remember are SpikeTV and Nickelodeon.

Not sure if they're digital - I just assumed everything was able to be output through the digital out.
Posted by: gonk

Re: No audio on certain channels via cable box - 07/15/06 09:12 AM

If they're like mine, they're analog (station numbers below 100). I have had some digital cable boxes (Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 and 2100) that wouldn't convert the analog signal carried by most analog stations to a PCM bitstream for the box's digital output - that would produce what you are experiencing, but I'd expect it to affect a lot of stations (nearly all of the channels below 100). Most newer boxes (including the Pace boxes I've used) will provide an A/D conversion for those stations so you have a PCM digital signal from analog-only stations.

You might trade out your box for a new one to determine if there's a problem there - either an older box that doesn't do A/D or a fault with the box.

Re: No audio on certain channels via cable box - 07/15/06 04:16 PM

Thanks Gonk,
I think I'll swap the box out - hopefully that will do the trick.

Of the 4 channels with the problem, 2 or 3 are below 100 and the other 1 or 2 were low 100's. The rest of the sub-100 (analog) channels work fine.

Re: No audio on certain channels via cable box - 07/15/06 06:22 PM

Yeah, that makes me suspect either the box or a mix-up at your cable provider. If the box trade-out doesn't work, let the cable company know that something's messed up.

Re: No audio on certain channels via cable box - 08/01/06 03:33 PM

Just to update anyone who is interested, the problem was that my cable box's SAP setting was set to Spanish.

For the majority of channels, this made no difference. For a few of the HD movie channels, audio came out in Spanish and for a few channels, this resulted in no audio at all.

I decided to look into the spanish thing after watching 'Hitch' for 10 minutes in espanol. Once I found that SAP was set to spanish and then turned it off, the few channels which previously had no audio worked again.

Strange.

Re: No audio on certain channels via cable box - 08/01/06 03:52 PM

Ouch! That's a wild problem. It's good to hear that you got it figured out, though.