HDMI audio not supported...

Posted by: Miscanthus

HDMI audio not supported... - 05/09/06 06:14 PM

ok, I put in a movie today thatI have watched already with no issues and a message pops up on the screen that says "HDMI audio not supported". I have the audio connected with an optical cable from my dvd player to the 990. the DVD player is connected directly to the tv with an HDMI cable. Also, this message pops up when I use the DVD remote for something. Any suggestions.Thanks.

Re: HDMI audio not supported... - 05/09/06 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Miscanthus:
ok, I put in a movie today thatI have watched already with no issues and a message pops up on the screen that says "HDMI audio not supported". I have the audio connected with an optical cable from my dvd player to the 990. the DVD player is connected directly to the tv with an HDMI cable. Also, this message pops up when I use the DVD remote for something. Any suggestions.Thanks.
Ok, I wwent into the Samsung DVD menu an changed the audio setup from Bitstream to PCM. What does this do to HDMI?
Posted by: Jim K

Re: HDMI audio not supported... - 05/09/06 08:50 PM

Is the message coming from the DVD player, or your TV? The HDMI cable carries Video and Audio from your DVD player, but you don't need the Audio portion since you're using the optical cable to carry the audio. If this is the case, you want to keep the Bitstream setting for the optical feed.
Posted by: gonk

Re: HDMI audio not supported... - 05/09/06 08:56 PM

What Samsung player do you have? Your TV may be disagreeing with the player, but there's probably a setting somewhere to disable HDMI audio - if I know what model it is, I can probably find the manual.
Posted by: zest

Re: HDMI audio not supported... - 05/09/06 10:17 PM

i had a samsung 850 that i had paired with my old yamaha receiver, that used to say the same thing
its because your not using the sound portion of the hdmi cable
be it at your tv or the outlaw
the dvi connection on the outlaw only supports video, if your tv accepts hdmi audio then some setting is probably off on the tv
i suggest connecting your dvd player's digital audio out (optical or digital coax ) to your outlaw and connect the video out directly to the tv, be sure to set the samsung back to bitstream

Re: HDMI audio not supported... - 05/09/06 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
What Samsung player do you have? Your TV may be disagreeing with the player, but there's probably a setting somewhere to disable HDMI audio - if I know what model it is, I can probably find the manual.
It is the Samsung 860

Re: HDMI audio not supported... - 05/09/06 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by zest:
i had a samsung 850 that i had paired with my old yamaha receiver, that used to say the same thing
the dvi connection on the outlaw only supports video, if your tv accepts hdmi audio then some setting is probably off on the tv
i suggest connecting your dvd player's digital audio out (optical or digital coax ) to your outlaw and connect the video out directly to the tv, be sure to set the samsung back to bitstream
I have the optical to the 990 and an HDMI from the dvd to my samsung tv. I had the dvd set to bitstream and that is when it displayed the message. I set it back to PGM and the message went away. I also turned off DTS.

Re: HDMI audio not supported... - 05/09/06 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Miscanthus:
Quote:
Originally posted by zest:
[b] i had a samsung 850 that i had paired with my old yamaha receiver, that used to say the same thing
I have the optical to the 990 and an HDMI from the dvd to my samsung tv. I had the dvd set to bitstream and that is when it displayed the message. I set it back to PGM and the message went away. I also turned off DTS. [/b]
ok, when I set it back to bitstream, the message comes back up when I play a dvd.

Re: HDMI audio not supported... - 05/09/06 11:15 PM

I agree with zest on the digital audio setting - it must be bitstream to give you Dolby Digital and DTS outputs. PCM is purely a downmixed stereo. Subce Miscanthus already has the DVD player connected directly to the TV, though, the 990's out of the picture already on the HDMI. If the TV has a DVI input, it would be unable to get an audio signal. If the TV has an HDMI input there may be a setting on the TV doing something, but the player really ought to have some way to play nice with DVI displays.

The issue is with what your TV is doing with the audio carried over the HDMI cable. What kind of input does the TV have - DVI or HDMI?
Posted by: zest

Re: HDMI audio not supported... - 05/10/06 01:26 AM

ok my memory is failing me, i traded in the samsung for an oppo a few months ago.
when i had the samsung connected to my tv with the hdmi and no receiver connection, i didnt get the message .As soon as i connected the optical cable from the samsung to the receiver , i would get the message.
However the message only lasted for a few seconds i learned to live with it, however i ended up sending back the samsung to bestbuy and kept the oppo.
Im sure someone else can help, i never did find the solution in the samsung manual, maybe try a google help.

Re: HDMI audio not supported... - 05/10/06 07:40 AM

It sounds like Miscanthus's TV can handle PCM stereo over the HDMI input, but not DD and DTS bitstreams. That's not too surprising - I don't know how many TV's with HDMI inputs include even rudimentary DD/DTS decoders. There's some discussion of this issue in this thread at AVS forum - sounds like a common affliction that may not have a good solution (there is mention of an option under "Display" to turn the on-screen messages off, but it sounds like it may reset to "on" when the unit is turned off).

Re: HDMI audio not supported... - 05/10/06 09:34 AM

Quote:
It sounds like Miscanthus's TV can handle PCM stereo over the HDMI input, but not DD and DTS bitstreams. That's not too surprising - I don't know how many TV's with HDMI inputs include even rudimentary DD/DTS decoders. There's some discussion of this issue in this thread at AVS forum - sounds like a common affliction that may not have a good solution (there is mention of an option under "Display" to turn the on-screen messages off, but it sounds like it may reset to "on" when the unit is turned off).
Gonk,
My tv is the Samsung 50" plasma. The new model with 2 HDMI inputs. The message does not appear when I set it to PCM. It does, however, go away after a couple seconds,as stated in the above post, when set to bitstream. So with this being the case, do you think I should leave it set to bitstream or PCM?

Re: HDMI audio not supported... - 05/10/06 10:19 AM

It sounds like your TV is telling the player that it can't process a Dolby Digital or DTS bitstream, which is not surprising. Do not set the player to PCM, though. Your TV has no problem getting PCM over the HDMI connection, but you'll also be feeding the 990 a PCM signal over the optical cable, and that means you will lose both Dolby Digital and DTS audio - you'll be feeding the 990 the a downmixed stereo signal stripped down from the Dolby Digital's 5.1 and nothing at all from DTS.

If setting "Screen Messages" to "off" in the player's display menu gets rid of the message permanently, that's probably the best solution. The alternative is to ignore the message.

Re: HDMI audio not supported... - 05/10/06 11:25 AM

Quote:
It sounds like your TV is telling the player that it can't process a Dolby Digital or DTS bitstream, which is not surprising. Do not set the player to PCM, though. Your TV has no problem getting PCM over the HDMI connection, but you'll also be feeding the 990 a PCM signal over the optical cable, and that means you will lose both Dolby Digital and DTS audio - you'll be feeding the 990 the a downmixed stereo signal stripped down from the Dolby Digital's 5.1 and nothing at all from DTS.

If setting "Screen Messages" to "off" in the player's display menu gets rid of the message permanently, that's probably the best solution. The alternative is to ignore the message.
This is driving me crazy. Now I canot get the tv to "source" to HDMI 1, which is where the dvd is plugged into. I go into the tv menu and into input setup and it will just pass right over the HDMI1 and not let me highlight it. When I use the source button on the tv remote it just passes by the HDMI1 screen straight to HDMI2 screen, which I have nothing connected to at the moment. Anyway, on the dvd menu, I have bitstream on, and DTS on, and PCM "down somehting" set to off. Does this sound right.

Re: HDMI audio not supported... - 05/10/06 12:22 PM

The DVD player settings (bitstream on, DTS on, and PCM downconversion off) are right.

When trying to select HDMI1 on the TV, is the DVD player turned on? Also, my dad's 26" LCD has an option to disable certain inputs (so you only have to scroll through the ones that have something connected to them) - does your TV have that option, and could HDMI1 be disabled there?

Re: HDMI audio not supported... - 05/10/06 12:38 PM

Quote:
The DVD player settings (bitstream on, DTS on, and PCM downconversion off) are right.

When trying to select HDMI1 on the TV, is the DVD player turned on? Also, my dad's 26" LCD has an option to disable certain inputs (so you only have to scroll through the ones that have something connected to them) - does your TV have that option, and could HDMI1 be disabled there?
The dvd player is on. I will check to see if anything is disabeled. Thanks.
Posted by: sluggo

Re: HDMI audio not supported... - 05/10/06 11:47 PM

From the samsung manual:

HDMI
- If your TV is not compatible with compressed multi-channel formats (Dolby Digital, DTS, MPEG), you should set Digital Audio to PCM.
- If your TV is not compatible with LPCM sampling rates over 48kHz, you should set PCM Down sampling to On.

From what I've read there is no way to disable audio over the HDMI cable, so it looks like you'll have to endure for the time being, unless your TV allows disabling of the messages.

I do wish that CE manufacturers had waited to push HDMI out of the garage until the audio spec was implemented. DVI would have worked just fine for people until then. Perhaps you should convert the signal to DVI and back through the 990?

Re: HDMI audio not supported... - 05/11/06 07:40 AM

The 990's DVI switching is transparent to HDMI - the audio would survive the trip unaltered. It looks like the best bet for Miscanthus is to either ignore the message or see if the "screen message" option in the DVD player will prevent it from appearing.

EDIT: Don't mind me, I'm just quietly losing my mind. See the next two posts for what really happens to HDMI audio passed through DVI switching...

Re: HDMI audio not supported... - 05/11/06 10:36 AM

Quote:
The 990's DVI switching is transparent to HDMI - the audio would survive the trip unaltered.
That's new. Everything I've read has indicated that DVI will not pass the audio signal from an HDMI source, not only due to bandwidth limitations, but also that the CEC pin on HDMI has no equivalent on DVI. Did you test this on your 990? I'd love to know more.

Re: HDMI audio not supported... - 05/11/06 10:44 AM

Hmmm... Maybe I'm remembering wrong. We had an extensive discussion here in the saloon about the 990's DVI switching last year, particularly in relation to how it interacted with HDMI. Now that I think about it, though, the big focus was on HDMI blacker-than-black being lost - the official answer was that it was not because the DVI switching was equivalent to an HDMI-to-DVI adapter (all the signals passed unaltered). I think I transposed that with the HDMI audio signals - based on the pin layouts, the HDMI audio would be lost. Yeah, it's been a long week - thanks for catching my slip-up.

With that in mind, your idea of using the 990's DVI switching to filter out the audio is an intriguing one.

Re: HDMI audio not supported... - 05/11/06 12:44 PM

No worries, gonk, although I've found items like this that claim to do just what you mentioned, I don't know how...

The difference between the two cables physically vs. the signals they transmit vs. the compatibility of the ports they're plugged into is enough to crash my OS. I thought digital cabling was supposed to make things simpler eek

If Miscanthus has a DVI input on his TV, he can connect to that via an adapter as well and filter out the problem. In any case, he'll have to choose the annoying problem or the expensive solution.