MX-700 Remote + 990 Questions?

Posted by: vince32837

MX-700 Remote + 990 Questions? - 04/18/06 02:28 PM

Guys,

I downloaded MX-700 programming software app, manual, + Gonk's files (thanks Gonk)

I leaning towards getting this remote. But I have a few ?'s:

1a) In the MX-700 editor if you start a new .dxf file, and search IR database under outlaw you only see 950. If you open up Gonk's file of course there is a 990 listed in the folder tree. Did you guys select the 950 and teach it the 990 commands, or does the MX-700 need to learn the 990 manually from scratch?

1b) Is it better to start programming the MX-700 from scratch or modify a guy's file?

2) Online URC vendor: Does it make a difference where I order it from? Is authorized dealer key or is a MX-700 reliable for years? any suggested vendors?

3) Macros- Can you assign a macro on the front display like "DVD": that turns on TV/990/DVD etc all the right modes dolby dig, 5.1 etc or does the macro need to be buried on a sub-menu page? (I heard you have a 5 character text limit should be OK?)

Thanks Vince
Posted by: gonk

Re: MX-700 Remote + 990 Questions? - 04/18/06 02:47 PM

I taught the MX-700 all of the 990 commands from scratch - that's my standard approach, because it lets me put commands exactly where I want them (with very little effort). If you've got a config file to start with, that's not a bad option. I did that with several devices.

You can put macros almost anywhere - my device buttons on the main screen (cable, dvd, dvd-r, oppo, and such) almost all run short macros to set the 990's input and the TV's input and aspect ratio.
Posted by: RCF051

Re: MX-700 Remote + 990 Questions? - 04/18/06 04:52 PM

I did my MX-800 with a mixed approach. As with Gonk, I taught it the 990 commands. But with other devices, I used various sources, including the MX database and some files downloads from Remote Central -- very helpful for things like TIVO and the Polk XM tuner.

Re: MX-700 Remote + 990 Questions? - 04/18/06 05:17 PM

Thanks guys.......
Vince
Posted by: 73Bruin

Re: MX-700 Remote + 990 Questions? - 04/18/06 05:23 PM

While I don't have a 990 (1050). I can give you my two cents worth for programming a MX-700

1) Don't put your devices on the first page, put them on the 2nd page. Save your first page for activity type Macros. Yes you can have a single macro, turn on your TV, turn on your 990, select or change the input on the TV, select the 990 mode and then go to a device page that controls the predominate functions (e.g. a DVD). Another example is to create a macro for the 990's tuner called radio. The device page it links to then has sub buttons for the 10 or 20 stations you listen to most (that are also macros). That way you don't need to tongle through a host of presets.

2) Since you give them separate names, you can have a device more then once on the 2nd page. I start out by creating one from the device remote in learning mode and then test other users device pages using a 2nd description. I have found this a great way to get non-documented descrete function codes (e.g. my toshiba HDTV does not have descrete on and off codes built into it, but they are available on remote central).

3) When writing the macros, you may find you need to add substantial amounts of delay (e.g. the TV may not accept additional signals for 2-5 seconds after powering up). I have found it useful to switch the signals between devices to minimize the delay times (e.g. turn on the tv, turn on the 990 via the device that represents cable/satelite TV, then turn on the cable, then have the tv select the cable input).
Posted by: RCF051

Re: MX-700 Remote + 990 Questions? - 04/18/06 05:37 PM

A plus I found with the MX series is the ease of creating and saving various confgurations so that you can experiment with different formats and figure out what works best for you. For example, one file could be like that suggested by 73Bruin, with the macros up front, while an alternative could be with devices on the first page. The ability to tweak these remotes is outstanding, and the real limit is the time you have to play with the thing.
Posted by: Integratedj

Re: MX-700 Remote + 990 Questions? - 04/18/06 05:49 PM

Buy it from an Authorized dealer. While issues with the remote are rare, if you do have an issue a warranty would be nice to have wouldn't it? You only get a warranty from authorized dealers.

Also, Unless there is a distributor near you with MX-700s in stock, you won't find any. They have been discontinued. Look at the MX-850 as it is the replacement for it and is an awesome remote that allows both IR and RF control.

Justin

Re: MX-700 Remote + 990 Questions? - 04/18/06 06:28 PM

Guys,

I ordered a MX-700 from surf remote (auth dealer)they have a few left

Coming from low-level Best Buy remotes, it should be a big step up.........

Thanks Vince
Posted by: SRW1000

Re: MX-700 Remote + 990 Questions? - 04/18/06 08:19 PM

I liked my MX-700 so much that I bought two of them (so my wife can have her own).

To build on what others have said, I put all my devices on Main Page 1. Then I used the Favorite buttons to set up activity-based macros that switch inputs, modes, and devices (always ending the macro on that specific device).

On the second main page, I set up specialized functions, with cross-commands. For example, I have one for calibrating my TV which consists of both TV and DVD buttons (so I don't have to keep switching between devices).

The great thing is that it's so configurable. I usually end up changing functions/buttons at least once a month. As ideas come to me, I'll just pull out the laptop and program them in. There's a lot of freedom to experiment when you know you can always revert to an older, saved copy.

You'll love it, it seems expensive, but it's worth every penny.

Scott

Re: MX-700 Remote + 990 Questions? - 04/18/06 10:43 PM

So even though the remote is not coming til Thurs, I could start building an MX-700 file with the editor now?

Thanks for all the tips, I'm sure I will have some questions for you guys once its here..This is a big stretch for me not using 5-6 remotes..........

Thanks Vince

Re: MX-700 Remote + 990 Questions? - 04/18/06 11:04 PM

Yeah, you can start building the file from the database and from other people's files even without the remote. You can even experiment with layouts for the LCD display's buttons and such.

My wife has often said that the MX-500 was the single best upgrade we ever made to the system, and the MX-700 has been even better (more macros, more pages of buttons).

Re: MX-700 Remote + 990 Questions? - 04/18/06 11:30 PM

Gonk,

In you mx-700 system file, some devices have 1 page, others have 2-4 pages..How do you control # of pages? there is no insert page menu???

Thanks Vince

Re: MX-700 Remote + 990 Questions? - 04/18/06 11:46 PM

There are a number of tasks that can only be done by right-clicking. Adding pages to a device is one of those - right-click on the device and select "Insert page."

Re: MX-700 Remote + 990 Questions? - 04/19/06 12:11 AM

The guys at Surf Remotes are really good people to work with. They provide a lot of support over at RemoteCentral.com.

You can also control pages by dropping down the "program" tab at the top, selecting "LCD Button Editor", and then unchecking the "Hide" boxes. then just add in control options and learn them in.

Justin
Posted by: Owl's_Warder

Re: MX-700 Remote + 990 Questions? - 04/19/06 02:37 AM

I had my whole initial layout and macros all programmed a couple days before I even had my MX-700 in hand. Remote Central is a great resource for codes on items not in the URC database.

Another big tip not to overlook is the ability to import commands from the Pronto files via the Universal Browser. For example, my dvd player isn't in the database and isn't in the library on Remote Central. A similar model in the URC list had most of the commands, but lacked discrete on/off. I was able to import them from one of the Pronto files for yet another model I found on Remote Central. Have fun programming!

Re: MX-700 Remote + 990 Questions? - 04/19/06 08:19 AM

I will play around with mx-700 editor

Thanks for the tips, especially insert page..

Vince
Posted by: assid

Re: MX-700 Remote + 990 Questions? - 04/19/06 03:07 PM

Anyone want to buy an MX 850? I've had the thing for a year and I still can't figure it out. I've spent way too many hours trying to program the damn thing. Worst thing I've ever bought.
Don't they make one where you don't have to hook the damn thing up to a computer? I just want to be able to point the two remotes at each other and learn/assign the codes to buttons, just like I could with the remote that came with my Adcom pre'pro I bought back in 1995.
I'm so frustrated with the damn thing, I'm tempted to go outside and slam it onto the cement. I think it would be more satisfying than getting some money for it on EBay.

Re: MX-700 Remote + 990 Questions? - 04/19/06 04:51 PM

The MX-600 (successor to the MX-500) does not require a computer to program, and the programming interface is pretty friendly. My MX-500 review and the MX-600 manual could give you a good feel for the setup of the MX-600.
Posted by: SRW1000

Re: MX-700 Remote + 990 Questions? - 04/19/06 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by assid:
Anyone want to buy an MX 850? I've had the thing for a year and I still can't figure it out. I've spent way too many hours trying to program the damn thing. Worst thing I've ever bought.
Don't they make one where you don't have to hook the damn thing up to a computer? I just want to be able to point the two remotes at each other and learn/assign the codes to buttons, just like I could with the remote that came with my Adcom pre'pro I bought back in 1995.
I'm so frustrated with the damn thing, I'm tempted to go outside and slam it onto the cement. I think it would be more satisfying than getting some money for it on EBay.
I think you can learn remote codes without hooking it up to a computer, buy you wouldn't be able to add any labels to the buttons in LCD section.

If you didn't want the flexibility of programming via the PC, you were oversold on the 850. The MX-500 would have done everything you needed (unless you require RF capability).

You can get the 500 for under $100, and you should be able to get more than that for the 850 on eBay.

The controls for the 850 are so much more powerful than the 500 though, have you given any thought to try programming it again? There's any easy to follow tutorial at the Universal Remote Website that walks you through each of the steps.

Scott

Re: MX-700 Remote + 990 Questions? - 04/19/06 10:40 PM

Thanks for the info guys. Sorry to be such a grump, but I just had it today trying to get the thing programmed. Now it's giving me some communication error, wherein I can't upload the file from the remote to my laptop. But, the connection works insofar as when I use the 'test" button in the program on the laptop (to see if the signal works) the remote gets the command thru the USB-serial-miniplug cable and tranmits. So, I don't know what the deal is. My patience rapidly reaches its limit with stuff like this. I flew the F-16 for 14 years and it didn't frustrate me like this thing does. You'd think if I could handle that, I could figure this thing out. LOL.

Re: MX-700 Remote + 990 Questions? - 04/19/06 11:41 PM

Guys,

Started to build my MX-700 file, (remote due in Fri)

Status so far:

Main page 1: are my macros
main page 2: my devices

All my gear is in the IR database except the 990..I will take Gonk's advice and learn the 990 functions.

What about my cable box, Scientific Atlanta 3100HD, it was in the database pulled it in, but it has no power on/off button assigned??

1) Is it better to learn it, or attempt other SA box models?

2)Let's say the wife presses macro "watch TV", it turns on the TV, puts you into TV input 3,turn on cable box..if I end the macro there will you be able to change cable tv channels with number pad? or do you need to add another macro step, "go to cable box device page 1"to work number pad? another words you want channel 102, press 1,0,2

so far I kind of like the software..I hope once the remote really gets here no major issues...

Thanks Vince

Re: MX-700 Remote + 990 Questions? - 04/20/06 12:11 AM

1) I'd probably just learn it when your remote arrives - it only takes a few seconds.

2) Make the last step be to change to the cable box device (page 1 will be the automatic choice). That'll let you change channels, hit "info", or whatever else you want to do with the SA box.

Re: MX-700 Remote + 990 Questions? - 04/20/06 12:18 AM

Quote:
Now it's giving me some communication error, wherein I can't upload the file from the remote to my laptop.
Change the batteries - I've run into this when the batteries were getting low.

Re: MX-700 Remote + 990 Questions? - 04/20/06 12:49 AM

I have noticed that sometimes the 700 and 800/850 do a comm error, and a dumb fix takes care of it.
Go to communications and change to a different comm port(one that is the wrong one from what it should be). Try the command again, it will give you an error, then switch it back to the right one and it will work.

Re: MX-700 Remote + 990 Questions? - 04/20/06 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by assid:
Now it's giving me some communication error, wherein I can't upload the file from the remote to my laptop. But, the connection works insofar as when I use the 'test" button in the program on the laptop (to see if the signal works) the remote gets the command thru the USB-serial-miniplug cable and tranmits. So, I don't know what the deal is.
Have you ever sucessfully uploaded to the laptop from the remote? I ask because sometimes the power needed for those USB to Serial converters overloads what some laptops' USB ports can provide. A short test signal outbound might be ok, but a sustained communication the other direction might be too much. Of course, if it's a separately powered converter or it worked before, never mind. wink

Re: MX-700 Remote + 990 Questions? - 04/20/06 08:08 AM

Thanks Gonk,
Vince

Re: MX-700 Remote + 990 Questions? - 04/20/06 11:25 AM

Guys,

when you program an mx-700, do you have to clear it of its .mxf file before you download a new file from a PC/laptop?

Thanks Vince

Re: MX-700 Remote + 990 Questions? - 04/20/06 11:40 AM

No, all you need to do is press the "Download" button from the toolbar or the "Communication | Download" menu option (when the remote is connected, of course), leave "Full Download" selected, and press the "Download" button. The .mxf file will replace whatever was already on the remote.

Re: MX-700 Remote + 990 Questions? - 04/20/06 01:00 PM

thanks Gonk...
Vince

Re: MX-700 Remote + 990 Questions? - 04/20/06 01:32 PM

Thanks guys, I'll try those suggestions.

Re: MX-700 Remote + 990 Questions? - 04/20/06 02:13 PM

I downloaded about 10 existing MX-700 User files at remotecentral.com:

Whether .mxd or .mxf file, when I open them up why don't these guys have cable box power ON/off button?...or my TV, Pioneer 533HD5, i imported 5 different guys files, no power on/off buttons...These guys have to be turning on their cable box in a macro, but where???

How accurate is URC IR database? is it 97% range or 57% ballpark?

lie I said in earleir post, both the cable box model and TV model are in the mx-700 editor, but go to the device pages, no power on/off?

what's the deal?

I guess like Gonk says, you can learn anything the database falls short on.

Thanks Vince

Re: MX-700 Remote + 990 Questions? - 04/20/06 02:33 PM

I think that the database is certainly in the 90% range, and when a device is included it's generally got a pretty complete set of commands. The only problem I have is that the layout isn't always as intuitive as I'd like, which is why I tend to start from scratch in many cases.

Assid seems to be having the most trouble with incomplete user files (collected typically from Remote Central ). I did find that a device file for his display (the one from Ryan Doyle , if this link will work) did have discrete power on and off commands assigned to the on and off buttons. In the case of the SA 3100HD, it uses the code 043 (one of the two codes for Time Warner boxes), and both the on and off buttons show the same power command assigned to them. If you or assid had a macro or some sort assigned to the power on and off buttons, that could have superceded the IR code on those buttons.

Here's a screen shot that may help explain what that last paragraph said. The device shown is the .mxd file I mentioned for assid's TV. The "ON" and "OFF" buttons both have IR commands assigned to them, and the details about the "ON" command can be seen both in the tool tip and the "Edit and Label Buttons" window to the right.

Cable box code 043 (the Time Warner code that is used for vince's 3100HD) is similar, but both the "ON" and "OFF" buttons have the button name "POWER" (a power on/off toggle rather than discrete on and off commands).

Re: MX-700 Remote + 990 Questions? - 04/20/06 04:08 PM

Gonk,

Thanks for the detailed writeup,

I will poke around, once the rmeote gets here tomorrow, hopefully most issues will go away...

The best way to go is take my laptop, with mx-700 connected, face the ent cabinet and start....true?

Vince

Re: MX-700 Remote + 990 Questions? - 04/21/06 07:08 PM

Gonk,
Thanks for putting forth the effort and time to try and help out your fellow Outlaw buds. You're a scholar and a gentleman.
Anyone live near Wichita Falls, TX wanna come over and setup my 850 remote? I'll have beer and pizza. LOL.

Re: MX-700 Remote + 990 Questions? - 04/21/06 11:48 PM

I'd love to help if I were anywhere nearby. I love geeking out on stuff like that. Unfortunately, I'm a little far. Good luck! And remember, you're doing it for fun... wink

Re: MX-700 Remote + 990 Questions? - 04/22/06 12:16 AM

The MX-700 is a nice remote...the IR database has my yamah dvd player IR commnads out of whack..just went into learning mode, moved 10 buttons around, downloaded new version all in 15 min...

what a step up from the Best Buy $40 remote!!

Thanks for the MX-700 suggestion...

Vince