New 990 owner, DD settings questons

Posted by: jsw3rd

New 990 owner, DD settings questons - 03/27/06 02:07 PM

Howdy! I've recently installed my 990 and am looking for a bit of advice about DD, 990 & DVD configs- I also installed a new Oppo DVD player- It's optical output choices are PCM or "Raw"- It apparently won't output DD unless it's set to "raw" but the 900 doesn't seem to "like" the setting- Set to raw, the audio drops out, occasionally making various random hi-pitched "squeaks & squeals" before it does- Set to "PCM" the 990 only plays back in Dolby PLII mode. Any thoughts or experience about this? Thanks in advance.
Posted by: Paratrooper

Re: New 990 owner, DD settings questons - 03/27/06 03:06 PM

I have my Oppo set to Raw and have not experienced any drop outs or any other problems with my 990 handling the Raw signal.
Posted by: gonk

Re: New 990 owner, DD settings questons - 03/27/06 03:44 PM

The Oppo definitely needs to be set to raw - that's the only way to get the disc's original audio bitstream passed to the processor. Are you having problems with every disc you try? Can you try a different DVD player (or other source such as digital cable or satellite that provides a Dolby Digital bitstream)?
Posted by: AndrewS

Re: New 990 owner, DD settings questons - 03/27/06 05:14 PM

Definitely set it to RAW. Also check out oppodigital.com and get firmware updates.
Posted by: Skyblazer

Re: New 990 owner, DD settings questons - 03/28/06 01:43 AM

did you go into the 990 input menu and choose DD for your DVD input source? I think it defaults to DD when it receives a DD signal, not quite sure though.

Re: New 990 owner, DD settings questons - 03/28/06 07:34 AM

As soon as the 990 sees a Dolby Digital signal, it will engage Dolby Digital decoding - it has to. There's no need to set the input for DD in advance.
Posted by: AndrewS

Re: New 990 owner, DD settings questons - 03/28/06 05:22 PM

I chose Upsample for my DVD source to gain the benefit of the upsampling. DD is indeed selected automatically when I start up a DVD. I just get the front 2 channels in 192bit.
Posted by: Skyblazer

Re: New 990 owner, DD settings questons - 03/28/06 05:27 PM

yeah but can you override the auto DD settings?

Re: New 990 owner, DD settings questons - 03/28/06 05:39 PM

Which settings do you want to override? You have to at least be using DD decoding to begin with (unless you want to try applying DTS decoding or treat it as PCM, either of which would tend to destroy your speakers and your ears), but beyond that you can choose to apply additional processing modes like Pro Logic II/IIx or Dolby EX.