Power Conditioners revisited-protect 990 etc

Posted by: nfaguys

Power Conditioners revisited-protect 990 etc - 05/14/05 11:29 AM

Now that I have the 990 and 755 (and some other older stuff) I know I should have a power conditioner. I reviewed the thread about conditioners in OUTLAW-TO-OUTLAW

http://ubb.outlawaudio.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000627

Different ones were discussed. gonk uses Panamax.
BrickWall and Monster were discussed. Some use UPS as well. Considering that I have a dedicated single-use (hometheater) 20 AMP circuit perhaps you gunslingers, desperados and outlaws would make a recommendation from the following:
Monster 2500. Monster HTS3500. Monster Pro3500. BrickWall...and whether a UPS should be purchased.

Also if anyone could give me a heads up on the Alesis PowerTrip 8...here's a link to it.

www.alesis.com/product.php?id=73

I'm asking about it, because I already have one and it seems to have some of the same functions. Price is a lot less, so I wonder. Thanks in advance.

BTW: Unable to do a "PREVIEW POST". Wonder why.
I was able a while back.
Posted by: trikos

Re: Power Conditioners revisited-protect 990 etc - 05/14/05 05:09 PM

This one will work better, but you will need to add a PTO to your car:

http://www.portable-electric-power-generators.com/l_winpower_pto_generator_170_150_ptam.htm

wink

Re: Power Conditioners revisited-protect 990 etc - 05/14/05 06:29 PM

Hi Trikos.
Thanx for response.
Funny you should metion windpower. We have a 17.5 kW wind turbine on a 120 ft tower on our property. Yesterday we were generating on average 12 kWh/hr. Maybe more. Good wind up here. Makes the meter run backwards when generating more than we're consuming.

This is funny...but now more true than ever, since I obtained a 755, and still have my other listening room with mega power: When a friend asked why I (nfaguys) needed a windturbine my friend remarked: "...he's got a kick a** stereo!!

I guess if Kick-etc is 2 ch I now have 2.5 times that. Maybe I need a bigger turbine

smile wink smile smile
Posted by: barnabas

Re: Power Conditioners revisited-protect 990 etc - 05/14/05 06:41 PM

I have the Panamax MAX 5100. We have no problem with dirty power here and so I really can't tell the difference with or without. I like the 2 high current outlets and the fact I can turn on my amps with a 12vdc trigger, and have them power up on a 10 second delay.

There are other outlets that will follow the trigger too. I use that for my cooling fans and power to my 7" LCD monitor I use to search the menus on DVD-A so I don't have to power up the Sammy DLP.

Check Here for the best pricing around.
Posted by: sluggo

Re: Power Conditioners revisited-protect 990 etc - 05/14/05 08:45 PM

You really only have need of a UPS if you have equipment that requires cool down before power off (ie, front projector) or anything with an OS (HTPC, automation system).

If you like the Alesis, I'd go with it. The only meaningful advantage of the Monster/Panamax units is protection from undervoltages (by shutting down), but if your power is not prone to them it may never matter. Otherwise they're overpriced (esp. Monster).

Re: Power Conditioners revisited-protect 990 etc - 05/15/05 08:47 AM

Sluggo thanks.
Actually I'm not aware of (though there may have been)surges--who knows?

The Alesis product literature and instructions don't mention undervoltage...and we have occasional power loss. So I suppose I should be
concerned about undervoltage.

I guess a separate UPS would copmplement the ALESIS unit.

Suggestions and opinions most welcome confused
Posted by: jhunt1

Re: Power Conditioners revisited-protect 990 etc - 06/07/05 07:03 PM

For those that are interested, and need a power conditioner. APC will be releasing two new power conditioners mid July. The price points of these new conditioners are very competitive. www.apc.com/products/apcav/products/index.cfm?action=model&id=307 Both the units look to be very nice with great features.

Re: Power Conditioners revisited-protect 990 etc - 06/07/05 07:15 PM

They're also releasing pricier units that contain battery backup , for those with projection systems and the like. Beats the others' multi-unit solutions, and probably the same or less in price.

Re: Power Conditioners revisited-protect 990 etc - 06/11/05 10:58 PM

Bought a PANAMAX 5300 from ebay. And guess what I discovered. Because the manual had their URL I decided to visit. It links to a list of internet business from whom your PANAMAX won't have this wonderful warranty.

So all you outlaws out there be careful. I really messed up on this one. I had no idea.
Maybe it was posted here and I missed it. mad

Re: Power Conditioners revisited-protect 990 etc - 06/12/05 02:12 AM

Sorry to hear about that. frown

Be aware that you won't find much in the gear arena (unless the manufacturer themselves or a big box retailer like Sears is auctioning it) on ebay "new in box" that will be warranty-covered by manufacturers. Most manufacturers have lists on their sites similar to Panamax', and I think you can find something comparable on Outlaw's site as well. Only used gear w/transferrable warranties (a la Outlaw) are sure-fire.

Not sure how these folks get this stuff so cheap, but there's one of your reasons, apparently.

I can say this much - your 5300 is a solid unit, have one myself. I've only had one Panamax go out on me in 10 years, and that was in fulfillment of it's intended purpose: defending my gear, which it did perfectly. laugh Enjoy peace of mind.

Re: Power Conditioners revisited-protect 990 etc - 06/12/05 08:45 AM

Thanks Greg.
I guess you just live and learn frown
Posted by: silversport

Re: Power Conditioners revisited-protect 990 etc - 06/12/05 02:32 PM

2 Panamax MAX 5100's on 2 systems...good so far...
Bill
Posted by: Cisco

Re: Power Conditioners revisited-protect 990 etc - 03/22/06 08:28 AM

I'm setting up my new upgraded 990 and 7125 and I have never used a trigger switch. I received one with my amplifier. I also have in my arsenol a Panamax 5100 which can utilize a trigger. My question is where do I plug in the trigger cable using this power conditioner. This power conditioner has two active ports if I recall which can be activated using a trigger. The 7125 manual says the trigger goes directly to the amplifier. Any advantage to either configuration?
Posted by: gonk

Re: Power Conditioners revisited-protect 990 etc - 03/22/06 09:59 AM

Either will work fine. When I added a Panamax 5100, I moved my trigger to the 5100. The 5100 has one trigger input but two switches that can be used to control how the trigger behaves - the two high-current outlets (which are where the amp and probably your powered sub need to be plugged in) can be triggered 0, 10, or 30 seconds after the 990 turns on, and the four "switched" outlets can be always on or can be switched off 10 or 30 seconds after the 990 turns off. I currently have my switched outlets always on (none of my other components need the switching ability) and my high-current outlets (one for the sub and one for the amps) set to come on 10 seconds after the 990 turns on.
Posted by: TheDudeAbides

Re: Power Conditioners revisited-protect 990 etc - 03/22/06 12:41 PM

bought a Monster Power HTS3500 MKII simply to protect my gear from surges and power irregularities because I am in an old rental home and the wiring is not quite up to code. I bought this particular unit only because I found it for $150 with a rebate... making it $100 shipped.

I noticed an immediate improvement in video clarity. There is some discussion (between my wife and I) whether it also improved the sound quality and clarity--if anything it was quite minor.

The unit is probably overkill for my purposes, but between the improved picture and the protection it is providing, I am happy with the purchase. I certainly wouldn't recommend buying one of these seeking a performance boost. Only for surge protection. Any inherent benefits should be a bonus.

--TDA
Posted by: ZoFo

Re: Power Conditioners revisited-protect 990 etc - 03/23/06 06:17 PM

APC HT15 power conditioner is the best I have ever seen and it only goes for $300! This unit has features on it hard to find for under $800. It not only seperates audio/video analog/digital and has all of the EMI/RFI filters, it is an actual POWER CONDITIONER. It will boost the current when it's too low and will trim it when it's high. It will tell you how much of a load you have on your 15 Amp circut in %, shows the draw in Amps & %, has triggers and programable delays for outlets, allows you to adjust the brightness of the display and even turn it off, looks damn good and cost under $300!