990/950 vs. Yamaha RXV2500 ques fr newbie

Posted by: nfaguys

990/950 vs. Yamaha RXV2500 ques fr newbie - 04/15/05 08:45 PM

I told you guys I am a newbie to this 5.1/7.1 etc. A friend told me to look into the Yamaha RXV2500. I understand that it's a receiver so let's forget about the amps. Not interested in an integrated product. I like separates. They claim this has THX. Is that important??? So is there something in the 990/950 price range that is a pre/pro that does what the 990/950 will do and has more features that we need? Thanks from a true newbie at 5.1/7.1
Posted by: curegeorg

Re: 990/950 vs. Yamaha RXV2500 ques fr newbie - 04/15/05 11:26 PM

well thx has been visited in several/numerous topics here. it is basically a certification by thx that says certain aspects of the product meet their standards... usually some surround sound modes are included in the processing.

is it important, no.. does it assure a certain level or quality, yes. though many, many products including outlaw's would meet or exceed thx's standards if they chose to PAY to have their product certified. some do and some dont. the cost of this certification would be passed on to the customer, so often times this thx certification is passed over.

would i buy a product just because it is thx certified, NO. if the product that i wanted had thx, i would consider it a slight bonus, but nothing more...
Posted by: curegeorg

Re: 990/950 vs. Yamaha RXV2500 ques fr newbie - 04/15/05 11:28 PM

sorry i hadnt realized that this was double posted, i now see that your questions were answered....