on-screen display problems

Posted by: GillesL

on-screen display problems - 04/15/18 12:47 PM

Hi everyone, I've been using my Outlaw 990 for a few years now and am very happy with it, it suits my needs just fine.

I'm considering upgrading my speakers.I'd like to play with the 990's settings with my actual setup but I can't get the on-screen display to show up.

I haven't accessed the OSD since initial setup, but I've tried connecting via s-video and component to several of my tv's inputs to no avail.

Any tips you can offer me are much appreciated

Re: on-screen display problems - 04/15/18 03:16 PM

I don't use my 990 to switch any kind of video, that goes directly from my HTPC to my TV. The only video connection would be for the on-screen display, if that's any help.
Posted by: XenonMan

Re: on-screen display problems - 04/15/18 09:28 PM

Have you switched the monitor to the s-video input? Try another s=video cable? Try the composite video output on the 990.

Re: on-screen display problems - 04/24/18 08:29 AM

Thanks for the advice XenonMan. I found an old DVD player in one of the kids rooms. Hooked it up using S-video and it displays on the TV. Using the same wire, connect to the same input on the TV, hooked it up to my pre-amp and no menu appears. Did the same using the yellow composite connection, the DVD player outputs to the screen but not the 990 frown

Is there any way to reset the receiver or try something else? Thanks again

Re: on-screen display problems - 04/24/18 11:01 AM

Contact Outlaw for the reset procedure but recognize that once it resets all current configurations will be lost. I found this in the 990 menu:

NOTE: Because the Model 990’s on-screen display does not appear on the DVI OUT jack, you should always use a component, S-Video, or composite video connection in addition to the DVI connection.

Have you tried the component connection yet?

Re: on-screen display problems - 04/24/18 12:40 PM

Would that be the green component output to my yellow composite input on the TV?
Posted by: Helson

Re: on-screen display problems - 04/25/18 03:12 PM

Originally Posted By GillesL
Would that be the green component output to my yellow composite input on the TV?
Yes, you can use the green component output to the yellow composite in.

Re: on-screen display problems - 04/26/18 10:08 PM

Green component output to yellow composite on TV: no menu
S-video to TV S-video input: no menu (but input working because DVD player displays image using same wire)
yellow composite output to TV composite input: no menu (ditto for DVD player confirmation).

I don't know what to do next. Take a chance and reset everything? If it all goes back to default and I can't access the menu, I'm stuck with those settings, although I'm now using the wrong front speaker size and wrong crossover frequency since changing my front speakers.

Re: on-screen display problems - 04/27/18 05:09 PM

Use all three component cables to your TV. Have you called Outlaw?

Re: on-screen display problems - 04/28/18 09:16 AM

I'll try using all component cables and then call if I still have no luck