Digital Audio from new Samsung Smart TV

Posted by: drhyne

Digital Audio from new Samsung Smart TV - 10/08/15 01:21 PM

I am not able to get my model 990 to recognize the digital audio (toslink) from my new Samsung TV. It has worked fine for years with my Samsung Blue-ray DVD player and Direct TV receiver. Is this a format issue from the new Samsung? Any settings I can change on my 990?
Posted by: Helson

Re: Digital Audio from new Samsung Smart TV - 10/08/15 02:04 PM

Does it still work for the Blu-ray and the Direct TV? If it does, you should check the settings on your TV to see if you need to switch the audio output to toslink.
Posted by: Owl's_Warder

Re: Digital Audio from new Samsung Smart TV - 10/10/15 12:16 PM

I was going to make the same suggestion! It's likely just an audio output setting on the new Samsung. Dig in to the menus and you should find a spot to configure it.
Posted by: drhyne

Re: Digital Audio from new Samsung Smart TV - 10/10/15 04:45 PM

Yes it does work for both Direct TV and Blu-ray. I did change the settings on the TV to audio out (toslink is the only option). "digital" is flashing on the 990 screen which makes me assume that the 990 can not decode the audio signal for some reason.
Posted by: Helson

Re: Digital Audio from new Samsung Smart TV - 10/13/15 11:01 AM

Make sure you're using the correct toslink input on the 990. The flashing digital icon usually means it isn't receiving a signal. Your choice in the menu should show up on the front display. The bottom toslink on the back is the output, next one up is #1 Input, and so forth... Made that mistake once, when I was reaching over from the front to make connections.
Posted by: XenonMan

Re: Digital Audio from new Samsung Smart TV - 10/15/15 08:25 PM

Swap the optical fro your BDP to with the TV and see if it works then. If it does the 990 has a bad input but if it doesn't then the TV or the cable is bad.