our son's new droid incredible

Posted by: soccerdad

our son's new droid incredible - 11/29/10 06:02 PM

Is it difficult to move/copy his itunes song downloads from the library to his new phone. Any help/suggestions are appreciated. Do they have to be converted? Do I need to download a conversion software?
thanks Jeff
Posted by: gonk

Re: our son's new droid incredible - 11/29/10 06:33 PM

I've never used an android-based phone, but iTunes purchases are in one of two formats: copy protected (.m4p) and DRM-free (.m4a). There is a Verizon page that lists the HTC Droid Incredible's supported audio formats and includes .m4a, so in theory you could copy those files from the "iTunes Library" folder onto the phone using whatever tools they have for loading music files in general (either copying in Explorer or through some special program - I don't know which is involved). The protected files will only work on an iPod or iPhone.

Re: our son's new droid incredible - 11/29/10 06:42 PM

Thanks...will check their website or hopefully the manual if it's online. We are picking up the phone tommorrow to give it to him on Wednesday or Thursday. Thanks again.
Posted by: Bob Becker

Re: our son's new droid incredible - 11/30/10 09:20 AM

The easiest way to move files to or from an android phone is to connect it to a computer using the USB cable. Make sure the Droid is mounted as an external drive. You probably will have to pull down the Notifications bar and tap the USB notification, which brings up a screen with a button and a warning that if you press it you may not be able to do some things with the phone while the phone is mounted on the compputer. Press the button. Then open Windows Explorer on a PC or Finder on a Mac. The files are on the SD card and you either drag them from there to the PC or from the PC to the Music folder on the SD card. Don't forget to stop the connection by going to Safely Remove... on the PC or Eject on a Mac before disconnecting the USB cable.

Re: our son's new droid incredible - 12/01/10 08:58 AM

THANKS FOR THE INPUT. WILL GIVE IT A TRY TODAY ON THE WIFE'S PHONE. WE ARE GIVING HIM HIS PHONE TONITE. HOPEFULLY I WILL BE ABLE TO TEACH HIM HOW SO THAT HE CAN DO IT IN THE FUTURE. HE'S 14 AND THE KIDS SEEM TO PICK UP ON THIS STUFF REALLY QUICK(WISHED HE WOULD PICKUP ON THE SCHOOLWORKS CONCEPTS AS FAST)