Easily converting LPs to CD

Posted by: Adrian L

Easily converting LPs to CD - 07/22/07 11:58 PM

My 81 year old father wants to convert his LP collection to CD. He genuinely likes the challenge of working with a computer, and is moderately profiecient in things like Photoshop.

He is asking my input on software / hardware. Though I want to encourage him, I am hoping to steer him to a simple stupid method that does not require extensive PC massaging to use. Obviously including cleaning up POPs and hiss, etc

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Adrian
Posted by: nfaguys

Re: Easily converting LPs to CD - 07/23/07 12:55 AM

Suggestion:
I copied some LPs to CDs. Not wishing to use the computer I record to an ALESIS ML90600 MASTERLINK. I fed it a line level signal from an old preamp I had laying around. You or he could run the phono into the 990 (or whatever) and take the output or record out into the Masterlink.

Click this link for MASTERLINK

You can send me a PM if any further questions about this.
Posted by: HiFiGuySeattle

Re: Easily converting LPs to CD - 10/11/07 02:44 AM

You could use an inexpensive computer interface such as one made by Edirol or Lexicon, check Musician's Friend or Sweetwater Sound websites and look up computer audio. You should be able to get a decent USB or Firewire audio breakout for under $150.00 USD. You of course would need a phono preamp section for the RIAA eq either a receiver, preamp or external will do. Then use software to clean 'em up. There's freeware called Audacity that should have a pop eliminator built in. Then just save the audio as WAV files and burn to CD.
Good luck!
Posted by: NRBQLou

Re: Easily converting LPs to CD - 10/11/07 03:16 PM

You could go with a turntable designed to do this kind of thing - Amazon has one for around $110 (can't vouch for the quality, but you can always upgrad the cartridge) - check out something like "computer usb turntable" on Google and you will come up with a number of choices.