digital to analog

Posted by: e-dogg

digital to analog - 03/25/05 10:11 AM

My friend lives on the fringe of his rooftop antenna reception. We want to know if they make a converter that will allow him to pick up an receive the local stations digital signals and convert it for his analog tv. His analog signals now are pretty snowy. Would this work or help him? Thanks.
Posted by: curegeorg

Re: digital to analog - 03/25/05 10:18 AM

i dont think such a thing exists.
Posted by: gonk

Re: digital to analog - 03/25/05 10:35 AM

Eventually this sort of device should be readily available (it's part of the requirements for migrating from analog to digital for TV broadcasting, to allow existing analog TV's to still receive broadcast TV signals). The only thing I know of now is an over-the-air HDTV receiver. These receivers generally include composite and s-video outputs that will work when the receiver is set to 480i mode, which allows you to record HD broadcasts to a VCR - or feed the signal to a standard definition analog TV. HD receivers have come down a lot in price - I found this Zenith unit on eBay for $180. For this to work, though, he'll need to have decent digital reception, which may require a different rooftop antenna. And since most stations broadcast both analog and digital signals from the same tower, I wonder if the digital signals will come through any stronger than the analog signals?
Posted by: ScottH

Re: digital to analog - 03/25/05 12:45 PM

The best thing about the digital broadcasts is that you either get them or you don't. If you pick them up, there's no snow or interference. Go to antenna web and type in your friend's address, that should give you a good idea what antenna would be needed to get what stations.