Football Playoff Projections

Posted by: Hullguy

Football Playoff Projections - 01/01/05 02:39 PM

Patriots all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by: kugumby

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/02/05 12:05 AM

Blech. You Massachusites have had enough fun to last you for a while. I'm for anybody else smile (And yes, I am jealous.)

I say let's have a rematch. Sox and Cards back at it in 2005!
Posted by: JT Clark

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/02/05 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hullguy:
Patriots all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No, not this year. :p
Posted by: e-dogg

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/07/05 02:06 PM

Once again the Patriots will be in the Superbowl. After they send the Steelers down to defeat in the AFC championship. I know no one can stop "the bus" but New England got game too with Corey Dillon. So strap it up boys this one counts.
Posted by: Cadboy

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/07/05 02:25 PM

As much as I HATE the Steelers(being from around Cleveland!), I gotta give it to'em this year.
Posted by: morphsci

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/07/05 02:51 PM

This year I also have to go with the Steelers. More depth and heart than any other team, AFC or NFC, by a long shot.
Posted by: The Spatula

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/07/05 04:43 PM

RAMS!!!!! (Who cares if the Steelers, Pats and Eagles are a better team on paper, that's my team!!!) laugh wink laugh

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/07/05 04:53 PM

The Steelers only have Cowher to coach them. We have Belichek!!! Maybe after he wins the Superbowl. he can go over and fix the mess in Iraq!
Posted by: Keta

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/07/05 08:03 PM

Being born and raised in Pittsburgh......you guessed it, Steelers, and it's gonna be a walk in the park.

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/07/05 08:54 PM

If the weather is good (not snowing or precipitating at least) the Colts will take out the Patriots. Patriots have been very lucky with a couple VERY "fortunate" calls in their Super Bowl years. Overrated. :p

Ok, even if the Pats get Ty Law back he's not going to be as effective as before. They would desperately need that to have a prayer against Manning. Isn't their best DL guy out too? Big loss of pressure there, and it hurts against the run. Pats won the opener, but don't forget how close it was and that the Colts did have several key plays late that went the wrong way. Lots of plays designed to protect Manning and let him pick apart that secondary. Run James enough to keep them honest. Brady is human. The Dolphins game proved it. Not sure how much that will be on his mind.

Steelers will beat the winner anyway. They're going all the way. Their guys will be rested up enough to recouperate for a few more games. They won't be hurting any more than the other teams, so that gets cancelled out.

The Colts had better not look past Denver as they very well could take them out. Denver is extrememly dangerous to anyone and everyone. Including themselves. If they have bad weather it may actually help them. They're in most every game anyway despite Jake Plummer mistakes. Manning doesn't make mistakes, so anything that could bring them on is more than welcome. Hurt them more than it hurts you so to speak.

NFC is the Eagles' to lose. Atlanta could be a much more serious threat than many want to acknowledge, but they're so darn inconsistant. I don't think the Eagles can take any of the 3 AFC teams w/o TO at pre-injury form. He must have his leg at 100% to have that game-breaking ability. Otherwise he's just another reciever. However, he could still be helpful for the Eagles because he can take hits, unlike the other wusses. They need a big jump forward, not a moderate step though.

When hot, Atlanta may be the better team to beat out the AFC, but they don't get that hot with any consitancy. How do you prepare for Michael Vick when he's really on?
Posted by: Paul J. Stiles

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/07/05 11:28 PM

I am afraid to watch the Superbowl. I was sooo traumatized by last year's "wardrobe malfunction" that I had to undergo many hours of therapy vis-a-vis "reading" my Playboy magazines.

Paul

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/07/05 11:34 PM

Luckily, I managed to miss that part. Who's got halftime this year?

I just saw that Law was put on the IR and is done for the year. Someone else has picked up the curse now.

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/08/05 07:41 AM

Ty law is out. Manning can not play in Foxboro. The Pats are 7-4 against him.

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/09/05 12:57 AM

RAMS have 1 down and only 3 to go!!!! laugh wink laugh

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/09/05 01:09 AM

As for the wardrobe malfunction, at least it wasn't Justin!!!!!!! eek wink eek

Let us hope that the next malfunction is on a female vocalist between the ages of 18 to 30.

In my opinion, this has now become an NFL Superbowl tradition!!! laugh wink laugh

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/09/05 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JT Clark:
The Colts had better not look past Denver as they very well could take them out. Denver is extrememly dangerous to anyone and everyone. Including themselves. If they have bad weather it may actually help them. They're in most every game anyway despite Jake Plummer mistakes. Manning doesn't make mistakes, so anything that could bring them on is more than welcome. Hurt them more than it hurts you so to speak.
Haha, the game's at Indy. What am I talking about? shocked
Posted by: rance

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/10/05 07:52 AM

I was worried that Law wouldn't be 100% for the playoffs...I didn't expect 0%. It's going to be awful tough without a secondary. Manning and the Colts look unstoppable (as usual) but this year they are a more complete team. It's gonna be fun!

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/10/05 04:29 PM

You also have to remember that the refs are supposed to be cracking down on CHEATERS this year. Hopefully, the Patriots won't be allowed to tackle receivers and running backs that are trying to get off the line of scrimmage. They have done this with impunity for a few years now.

I'm all for giving guys a solid jam (or 3) at the line of scrimmage, but tackling them is a different story. Just ask the Colts last year. It was ridiculous.

And yes, I freely admit this is sour grapes. If the Patriots were my team, I would have just called it "playing physical". Since they are not (Go Rams!), I'll call them CHEATERS! smile

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/10/05 06:08 PM

It's not a foul if the flag isn't thrown. wink The Patriots are too good for that game to be a blow-out. They could possibly scrape something out of there, but the game is definitely in Indy's favor. Is all of the Boston area uniting for a snow dance?

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/11/05 07:47 AM

Yup... snow, sleet, rain, molasses...anything!

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/11/05 10:24 AM

You know.. I have to say one thing about the Steelers. In all my years I never remember a team where all the players seem to be having career years all at the same time. They are on a roll like no other and maybe no one can stop them.
I say Indy is the "x" factor. Manning seems to be able to put up 40 points anytime he desires. You just cant count out the Pats though, when it looks bad they play better. The AFC is so much stronger than the NFC this year, dont you think?
Posted by: curegeorg

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/11/05 12:09 PM

i think if the Colts beat the Pats they are gonna win it all. while i dont know if the Colts are ever going to beat them, this appears to be the year. the Colts O is smoking, and the Pats are banged up in the secondary. however, Belichick always finds a way to shut down Peyton...

as for the NFC, the Falcons are the best team, but they are so inconsistent (just like every other NFC team except for the Eagles which are crap now) any of the four remaining teams could win the NFC title.

as long as the Patriots dont win it, id be happy to see any other team win.

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/11/05 04:34 PM

Who is the only QB to through for more yards than manning in a game? TOM BRADY. The game is more than one cornerback, even if he is one of the best in the league! As far as cheating, we call it hitting them when they have the ball and hitting them when they don't. Just to let them know we are here.

Pittsburgh may be surprised by the Jet!

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/11/05 05:11 PM

sorry, i forgot that troy brown was tied for the team lead in picks... seems like they are more than one man down in the secondary to me...

and if NE wins, it will be because of Corey Dillon's running more than Tom Brady doing anything.

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/11/05 07:34 PM

Don't forget the colts are 28-25 playing outside!

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/11/05 08:20 PM

NE is more than one guy down in the secondary. That is why not having their #1 guy be able to return is so significant. What is the name of their lineman that went down? Seymour or something like that? He was supposed to be their best lineman. I don't recall 27-24 exactly owning the other team. Especially when it was a few close plays to going the other way. Something about a kicker? Indy is the favorite this week (not obviously overwhelming though), but only a complete nutjob would count the Pats out. They will really need Dillon on his game to be able to control the clock better.

Obviously the Steelers will have to pay attention to the Jets, but they should win it before the 4th quarter. The Steelers 2nd and 3rd string beat a desperate Buffalo who you can make a strong case about playing as well or better than the Jets.

Philly is still going to be really good. Their offense is still above what it was last year because they have everybody, including a running back (Westbrook) who was hurt last year. Their defense will also be better because of Jevon Kearse and a couple of their linebackers are back. They'll have to be on their game against Minnesota, but they should pull it out. It'll be tighter than the regular season game without Owens in there.

Atlanta is incredibly dangerous to anybody, but their inconsistency kills them. They had better be ready for the Rams who are also very dangerous. The Rams have a scary running combination in Marshall Faulk (who everyon knows about) and Steven Jackson(?) a powerback with an incredible yards/carry average (who not many really know about). Jackson will be very key. He should get a lot of carries if he's on. Anyone remember the Falcons vs Chiefs? They can not afford to turn the ball over and let Michael Vick gain any momentum. I still wonder why the Falcons want to keep Vick so bottled up all the time. I think they need to let Vick play the game.

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/12/05 07:58 AM

The Pats have lost both their starting cornerbacks for the season (Law and Poole). Their backup corner is hurt but likely to play. They'll probably move safety Wilson back to corner and plug in a LB at safety. The defensive lineman that's hurt is Richard Seymour and he is a force. If he can't play it will be a huge loss. If he does play he won't be 100%. Facing the Colts with a defense that's held together with alligator clips and duct tape is scary, but I wouldn't count them out.

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/12/05 02:58 PM

Yeah, that "hitting them when they don't" thing...that's called CHEATING laugh

It remains to be seen if the refs are going to enforce that. I joke, but I think it's critical to what the Colts (and the Rams) do. If the refs allow them to tackle guys that don't have the ball, it may be more of the same for the Colts this year.

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/12/05 07:00 PM

It's the championship! Let the guys play!

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/12/05 08:17 PM

It's football, so I'm not too picky about whether they do or don't, but show some consistancy. I don't like one set of rules for the regular season and a different set for the post season. The precious Colts get away with things you can't say too. Every single team does, so they're all cheaters. If it's not called it's not a foul, so let it go. I think the Colts could actually take the hits better this year because they are spread around so much. Reggie Wayne has really come on this year. Brandon Stokely is a very nice addition too. You don't hear about Marvin Harrison as much because he always draws the #1 corner. Wayne is just about as good and Stokely is a killer 3rd receiver. Wayne caught all the balls last week against Denver, but it would have been a very different story for him if Marvin hadn't been there to draw Champ Bailey the whole game. Marvin's so selfless that he understands that will happen. That Patriot offense will actually have to help out a lot with its game plan to neutralize the Colt's offense some. Their defense will not do it alone. They have to move the ball and eat up the clock. Take advantage of any turnovers.

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/12/05 08:40 PM

The offense is the least of our worries. We have Brady, Dillion, and the best clutch kicker of all time, Vinitari!

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/12/05 10:28 PM

Vinatieri :rolleyes: :p

It's gonna be a game.

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/13/05 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hullguy:
The offense is the least of our worries. We have Brady, Dillion, and the best clutch kicker of all time, Vinatieri!

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/13/05 11:36 PM

im thinking the game will be a close one, if not I hope the Colts drop 50 on the Pats.

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/14/05 08:49 AM

haha

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/16/05 11:42 AM

the field is frozen now. but homefield advantage is just that, i would do it too. ironically id think that a frozen field is more similar to astroturf, than it is to grass.

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/16/05 12:00 PM

Maybe if you run the sprinkler system on the astroturf first. I don't know if Indy has the traditional rug-like astroturf or the newer plastic grass. If I was Tony Dungy, I would be running plays on any hockey rink or local HS or college field I can find. Make a mess of it and practice the routes in that. It'd be worth the cost of reimbursing the school.

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/16/05 03:26 PM

lol, i guess its a good thing that youre not Tony Dungy then. everyone would be beaten to crap from playing on a hockey rink on an actual sheet of ice.

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/16/05 04:33 PM

Well I wouldn't be running full contact drills. :p The field should be heated from underneath. If you remember the Oakland @ Denver game this year, it was in the middle of a blizzard and the field was kept pretty darn green most of the game. Although someone may have "forgetten" to flip the switch on. A lot of these fields have some pretty advanced (and cool) designs in them that allow excellent drainage in case of rain and internal heating from the cold.

Oh yeah, so much for the Eagles being rusty and their offense grinding to a halt w/o TO.

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/16/05 08:16 PM

Pats Convincing enough?
Posted by: Oil Can

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/16/05 09:02 PM

:rolleyes: The Patriot’s defense played a very good game. On the other side, the Colt’s defense played like s@%t. The way the Colt’s defense played they couldn’t have beaten three eggs to make an omelet. :p

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/16/05 09:06 PM

Patriots had 12 men on the field! :p

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/16/05 11:40 PM

Credit where credit is due. Pats just seem to get the job done....and very little, if any cheating....good job.

That being said, the Massachusites are going to be downright insufferable until someone knocks them back to earth. Unfortunately, I'm not sure there's anyone out there that can do it.

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/17/05 09:36 AM

With the ridiculous amount spent on offense, is anyone else wondering if Indy will be able to field 11 guys on defense starting next year?

These last 3 games are going to be really good. I have no idea who will win except that the AFC will be favored in the Superbowl.

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/17/05 01:32 PM

And to think I was worried ... laugh

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/17/05 06:25 PM

I was never worried. Massachusetts and the country was knocked back when John Kerry lost! javascript:void(0)
Wink;)

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/17/05 08:29 PM

at least i can still root for the steelers... all the other teams i WANTED to win, lost. im hoping for steelers and the falcons for some new blood in the superbowl... two dominant running teams with good defenses. i think any team left has a chance to win their conference though.

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/17/05 08:49 PM

For new blood in the Superbowl I think you'd actually want the Eagles. The Falcons made there last, IIRC. :p
Posted by: Cadboy

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/19/05 12:48 PM

Football? Who needs football when you have LeBron James and the Cavaliers!? J/K!

I'm going to stick with the Steelers(even though us C-Towners HATE'em!)

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/19/05 11:24 PM

screw the eagles.

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/20/05 10:06 PM

I heard a bit ago on one of the sports shows (PTI I think) from one of the special guests that they should consider Atlanta is an indoor team. They play in a dome and will be going up to the Eagles' place outdoors and with a good possibility for incliment weather. Could somebody remind me how the Falcons were able to get to their last game against the Eagles a couple years ago?

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/21/05 03:55 PM

The Pats are not just a regular team you know...Their a super team. And I predict, at Heinz field sunday, Coach double "B" will be carried off the field in victory! 24-13 Pats.
P.S. Bill Cowher will injure his jaw in the loss and have to have it removed.

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/21/05 04:49 PM

the eagles strength is in defending the pass (3 pro bowlers); the falcons strength is running. i didnt know that bad weather affected the running game. i cant find anyone in philly's lineup that is going to stop Michael Vick. i would say atlanta is a lock with its defensive ability combined with its offensive ball control, but they are so unpredictable, you never know if they are going to dominate or get dominated. i would say that it is Atlanta's game to win or lose.

i have this feeling that New England is going to win, but i will be pulling for the underdogs.

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/21/05 07:18 PM

Eagles don't matter. They play in a weak division! After the Pats turn the Steelers into molten metal, they will pluck and stuff the Eagles

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/23/05 06:33 PM

With Philly winning we know the Superbowl champ will be from Pennsylvania!!! :p

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/23/05 09:42 PM

Convinced? Go Pats!!!

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/23/05 09:50 PM

That was embarrassing. confused

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/23/05 10:50 PM

what a sorry super bowl.

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/24/05 11:42 AM

I dont think the eagles can play witht he Pats at all. Go Pats! Tom Brady for President!
Posted by: Inertia4u

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/24/05 08:26 PM

I will have to agree with e-dogg. Well, I'll have to agree, and so will my lovely wife...
GO PATS!!!!

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/24/05 09:40 PM

Why is everyone so down on the game with the Eagles? It's not like the other AFC teams put up a better fight than the Eagles still can. Indy didn't pass because they're chicken. Pitt isn't a passing team (71% run plays!) and Roethlisberger was off. I think his thumb is still bugging him, kind of like how Warner's wouldn't go away for so long, despite what him and Martz said. It won't be any worse than the Patriots othe 2 playoff games. I think it could be better, but the Pats are definitely the favorite.

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/24/05 11:32 PM

maybe T.O. will be able to play and Bruschi can reinjure him for some excitement. the Eagles cant stop the run, they just got up in pts on the Falcons, so the Falcons had to pass. the score may be kind of close, but the Patriots are awesome (as much as I hate them for being).

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/25/05 05:57 AM

How come no one has mentioned the "Beat up secondary" of the Patriots after the Indy game?

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/25/05 07:47 AM

Actually, the Eagles became a lot better at stopping the run since they moved Trotter to ML. People tend to remember the earlier games of the season and last year. Obviously they're not the #1 runstoppers, but it has improved significantly and very noticeably.

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 01/25/05 12:19 PM

my foot is in my mouth, and i was only just able to take it out to say that the patriots secondary is good enough. though ball control by the pats was the key factor...

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 02/03/05 04:41 PM

John Madden was in Buffalo to announce a football game one weekend
When he noticed a special telephone near the Bills bench. He asked Drew
Bledsoe what it was used for and was told it was a hotline to God.

John asked if he could use it. Drew told him, "Sure, but it will cost you
$200."
John scratched his head, then thought, what the heck, I could use some
help picking games.
He pulled out his wallet and paid $200. John's picks were perfect that
week.

The next week John was in Indianapolis when he noticed that same kind of
phone on the Colts bench.
He asked what the telephone was for and Peyton Manning told him, "It's a
hotline to God. If you want to use it, it will cost you $500." Recalling
last week, John pulled out his wallet and made the call. John's picks were
perfect again that week.

The next weekend John was in Foxboro at Gillette Stadium when he noticed
the same kind of telephone by the Patriots bench. He asked Tom Brady, "Is
that the hotline to God?" Tom said, "Yes, and if you want to use it, it
will cost you 35 cents."
John looked incredulously at Brady and said, "Wait a second, I just paid
$200 in Buffalo and $500 in Indianapolis to use the same phone to God!
Why do the Patriots only charge 35 cents?" Tom looked at John and replied,

"Because in New England, it's a local call."

GO PATS!

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 02/04/05 03:55 PM

Come Sunday night, the EAGLES will still be NFC champs!
Posted by: psklenar

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 02/04/05 05:11 PM

Ah, UConn could take them, but since they're not going to be there ... and since bribery is being offered ... okay, I'll root for the local boys. smile
Posted by: psklenar

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 02/06/05 10:29 AM

boy, i sure know how to kill off a thread, eh? frown
Posted by: gonk

Re: Football Playoff Projections - 02/06/05 10:30 PM

I don't think the thread's quite dead yet, Pat, even if the game's over: there's still this page (and the big red text about half way down the page) for the next day or so. smile