mini to RCA pair

Posted by: kelly

mini to RCA pair - 04/18/02 06:14 PM

I've been hearing good things about Outlaw and am looking specifically for an odd cable--a mini (1/8") stereo to RCA pair cable. Does Outlaw make one or can anyone else recommend one? I have an Accoustic Research cable currently and the shielding isn't good enough to prevent rf interference.

Thanks
Kelly
Posted by: gonk

Re: mini to RCA pair - 04/18/02 11:24 PM

No luck with Outlaw -- just standard RCA and optical, with a 75-ohm digital coax/composite video/component video expected soon. You might look for a short (like 3") "adapter" cable that is mini stereo to female RCA and use good RCA cables for the bulk of the run, if you aren't already. That way the limited shielding that most of those cables have won't hurt you as much.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review
Posted by: Matthew Hill

Re: mini to RCA pair - 04/19/02 09:46 AM

Radio shack has a bunch of those. They come in handy now and then.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

Re: mini to RCA pair - 04/19/02 10:38 AM

Re: Radio Shack Cables
The also suck a lot. Obviously by posting a message here, I was in search of good cables to alleviate the issues I have with interference. That is to say, I'm looking for an upgrade from the Accoustic Research, not a downgrade.
Posted by: zacster

Re: mini to RCA pair - 04/19/02 10:45 AM

You should be able to get a splitter, mini plug on one side, stereo pair RCA on the other. Then use a cable of your choice.

Re: mini to RCA pair - 04/19/02 11:08 AM

Maybe they do suck, maybe they don't. But in any case, how badly can a 3" splitter affect things?

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

Re: mini to RCA pair - 04/19/02 11:09 AM

Bad enough that I posted a question on a forum. How bad can any cable effect things? Why not run your entire system with Radio Shack cable?

Re: mini to RCA pair - 04/19/02 11:38 AM

Uh-oh. Here it comes...

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

Re: mini to RCA pair - 04/19/02 08:09 PM

Umm... Am I correct in saying that the "problem" cable you have now is a short one (3" adapter sort of thing)? I -- and I suspect Matthew as well -- had assumed the problem was from something that was more like a 3' mini plug to male RCA sort of beastie. If so, obviously my suggestion is redundant. I have seen Monster Cable adapters like that (used to have one, may still somewhere in The Closet). I'd check Crutchfield and AudioAdvisor to see what sort of tidbits they have.

If you are using a 3' cable currently, you might try the 3" adapter zacster and I suggested (Radio Shack, or if that is unappealing Monster or even AR or Tributaries or some other manufacturer if you can find one) and then use something like Outlaw's PCA cables (male RCA on both ends).

------------------

Re: mini to RCA pair - 04/19/02 08:18 PM

As my original message stated, I'm really looking for a 1/8" mini stereo to RCA pair (male) CABLE. I'm not looking to introduce additional points of contact by chaining an adapter in.
Posted by: nonzero

Re: mini to RCA pair - 04/19/02 08:23 PM

Why are you looking for an odd cable? My guess is for the PC?
Posted by: m-mmeyer

Re: mini to RCA pair - 04/19/02 11:06 PM

Mr Hill,
I feel a little bit better now, why? Because now you got blasted for trying to help just like I did and I don't like being alone. This place gets more like HTF every day and there isn't any hands on moderators on here so it can only get worse. We must stick together guys(and girls of course).

------------------
m-mmeyer

[This message has been edited by m-mmeyer (edited April 19, 2002).]

Re: mini to RCA pair - 04/19/02 11:46 PM

kelly

I understand your concern entirely, but I personally have never seen a "high quality" mini-plug cable. There just aren't that many advanced sources / components that use mini plugs -- not a lot of demand.

Such a cable may exist -- I'd try AudioAdvisor to see if there are any obvious cables, or check manufacturer's sites for Tributaries, AudioQuest, Nordost, CatCables, and maybe even ask BetterCables about a custom cable.

nonzero raised an interesting question -- what device are we connecting here?

------------------
Posted by: zacster

Re: mini to RCA pair - 04/20/02 02:38 PM

If you're connecting a computer, I would just use the adapter I suggested earlier. I don't consider any computer card worthy of much more. You'd have cable that is much better than any internal computer wiring. I'm using one (I checked what I had now that I'm home) and find it to be fine for the quality of MP3s I have. I'd spend my money elsewhere, maybe on a sound card with L/R RCA outs.

Re: mini to RCA pair - 04/20/02 06:27 PM

If anyone else is following this thread, I've had two suggestions thus far:
1. Oehlbach
2. Twisted Pair Game Junkie

Oehlbach is a German company and while I have seen their cables stateside, I'm not sure whether the mini to RCA they make can be found here. I've emailed them.

Game Junkie seems to retail for $69 and have a twisted pair design but I've been unable to locate anything more specific. I've also emailed them since I didn't know of a dealer.

I'm still looking for alternatives and information about the above two cables.

This is really the most polite I can be about this--I'm only interested in discussing the cables. I'm not looking for advice on alternatives to the cable I'm looking for.

Thanks
Kelly
Posted by: morphsci

Re: mini to RCA pair - 04/21/02 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kelly:
This is really the most polite I can be about this--I'm only interested in discussing the cables. I'm not looking for advice on alternatives to the cable I'm looking for.

Thanks
Kelly

Unfortunately when you ask a question you never really know the answer you will get. My advice is if you do not want to hear an answer, then perhaps you shouldn't ask the question.

If you are trully having a problem with RF interference then you should look for well shielded and twisted pair cables. Unfortunately they are few and far between for full mini to RCA cables. I have found that a short RS mini to F RCA adaptor and some good shielded twisted pair RCA's (actually automotive audio RCA's) have worked very well for me in a very EMI/RF noisy laboratory environment.

I trully can't imagine any situation where the source using such a cable would require such care with the number of contact points. If you care to enlighten me as to an exception I am more than willing to listen.

Re: mini to RCA pair - 04/22/02 10:24 AM

m-mmeyer: glad I could help.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net
Posted by: BenjaminRigby

Re: mini to RCA pair - 04/22/02 11:34 PM

I think I saw what you were looking for at Circuit City today. It was a Monster cable, mini to stereo RCA. I'm almost certain (90+%)both ends were male. I was going to get it, but there was a type of modem cable with it so it cost about $37. A bit to much for me with the sort of use I would give it.

Re: mini to RCA pair - 04/22/02 11:42 PM

Benjamin

Thanks for the reply. Someone else pointed out that Monster had one but unfortunately it was said to be worse quality than my current Accoustic Research.

I went ahead and ordered the Twisted Pair cable that I mentioned earlier in the thread. It'd gotten pretty good reviews for its shielding and was $65 for a one meter run.

I'll check back in here when the Silvers are out but my search for the specialty cable is hopefully at its end.
Posted by: ukexpat

Re: mini to RCA pair - 04/24/02 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kelly:
I've been hearing good things about Outlaw and am looking specifically for an odd cable--a mini (1/8") stereo to RCA pair cable. Does Outlaw make one or can anyone else recommend one? I have an Accoustic Research cable currently and the shielding isn't good enough to prevent rf interference.

Thanks
Kelly

Monster has exactly what you are looking for - the IP400:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=MCIP400%2E75&product_name=IP400%20Interlink%20Portable%20400%20Cables

------------------
Nigel Pond
SMR Home Theatre
SMR Forums
SMR Group
HighFidelityReview
Posted by: dcg

Re: mini to RCA pair - 04/26/02 07:28 PM

kelly,

I'm sure you're already aware of it, but what about the kimber at headroom?

BTW, did you ever get the RKV fixed?
Posted by: Cscamp

Re: mini to RCA pair - 07/24/02 08:24 PM

Hey Kelly I have a Monster Interlink 400 MKII mini to RCA (2m). I'm not sure about the sheilding problems you just said coz i sure didn't have problems with mine ; not to mention that my cable is very close to my surge protector. I now use an Onkyo USB Sound Processor (its an external sound card for short )so i don't even use my mini to RCA interconnect. So much better than a PC's internal soundcard. How about spending your money on an external sound card instead of a high quality cable? Anyway, i'm thinking about selling my Monster mini to RCA. Let me know if you're interested. I only used it for a couple months and its in great condition. (hehe! can't believe i am selling my cable here) There a couple of mini to RCA's out there. Just like the other person said, check out headroom. I beleive they have Kimber and Straightwire mini to RCA. Also check out the Acoustic Research Pro Series mini to RCA and not the Performance (blue colored) series. Good Luck!!!

Re: mini to RCA pair - 07/25/02 12:16 AM

Well, this is an old thread.

To tell you the truth, I don't think I will give Monster another cent of my money in my natural life.

I've looked at Headroom's cables and they didn't really meet my requirements.

The Twisted Pair cable I tried really wasn't as good as I'd hoped and I had to return it.

The cable I finally ended up with that I'm very pleased with is this one from Bolder Cable. I highly recommend:
http://www.boldercables.com/Store.asp?m=TheBolderCableCompany&n=10&k=82778&s=Audio+Cables