950's LCD, Matrix display fading..

Posted by: 2ntense

950's LCD, Matrix display fading.. - 07/06/03 04:22 PM

Not the tv, but the actual unit itself. The outer edges of the display on the 950 are almost unreadable and just slightly brighter as you look to the middle of the display. It is BAD and has nothing to do with my system settings. Anyone have this happen to them? I'm calling Outlaw tomorrow. Hopefully its covered.
Posted by: LuckMan212

Re: 950's LCD, Matrix display fading.. - 07/08/03 11:44 PM

I don't have that problem (yet) but I have noticed that when set to 50% brightness via the menus, the VFD has a VERY noticable 60hz flicker that is somewhat unbearable to look at.

I have several other VFDs including a BG Micro and a Matrix Orbital that I have hooked up to the computer and these are both software dimmable as well and do not exhibit this behavior.

Unfortunately at the full brightness the 950 really stands out when the room lighting is completely dark. Oh well. A small price to pay, you could always buy a filter and stick it on the front of the display.
Posted by: Kevin C Brown

Re: 950's LCD, Matrix display fading.. - 07/10/03 02:09 AM

Any suggestions for where to get a filter like that? Photo shop or something? Also a solution for when the 950 resets the display brightness when powered off.

[This message has been edited by Kevin C Brown (edited July 10, 2003).]

Re: 950's LCD, Matrix display fading.. - 07/15/03 04:01 PM

The display is totally out now and does not work. The 950 itself still does though. I talked to tech support and Outlaw is sending me another 950. Great people and service over at Outlaw.
Posted by: aej09

Re: 950's LCD, Matrix display fading.. - 07/15/03 09:52 PM

How long did it take to go completely out? Mine has been having the same problem for a few days now. I just emailed them today.

Re: 950's LCD, Matrix display fading.. - 07/17/03 10:44 AM

From the time I noticed it fading to the time it went completely out was 3 days.
Posted by: aej09

Re: 950's LCD, Matrix display fading.. - 07/29/03 12:23 AM

Well mine never went completely out but they did send me a new one (real damn quick) after the reset procedure didn't work.

Re: 950's LCD, Matrix display fading.. - 07/29/03 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by aej09:
Well mine never went completely out but they did send me a new one (real damn quick) after the reset procedure didn't work.

I also have my new one now. We would never get that kind of service in a retail chain.

Later

Re: 950's LCD, Matrix display fading.. - 11/15/03 09:30 PM

Sorry I didn't post this sooner, but to the folks looking to purchase a filter to reduce the harshness of the 950's VFD display, you might try this URL:

http://www.matrixorbital.com/pages/accessories.asp

Also, to everyone else, is the 50% brightness flicker problem something unique to my 950 or do they all do that? My unit is circa Feb 2003: it's a "blue-dot" model that I upgraded with the new Cirrus chip to fix the DTS LFE problem.

Should I be worried/concerned about the flickering display? I would really like to keep the display dimmed, but I don't simply because of the flicker issue.

Comments appreciated!

Re: 950's LCD, Matrix display fading.. - 11/24/03 07:11 PM

nobody? anyone....Bueller?
Posted by: tekdredger

Re: 950's LCD, Matrix display fading.. - 11/24/03 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LuckMan212:

Also, to everyone else, is the 50% brightness flicker problem something unique to my 950 or do they all do that?

Can't say I've noticed it on mine and I have it set at the 50% level all the time.

------------------
Tekdredger