950 FM performance

Posted by: Raider

950 FM performance - 06/21/03 12:51 PM

I am still checking the 850 out in my 30 days and I am a bit on the border as far as keeping it. It seems to be great for HT but I am finding the FM section to be very bad as I cannot pick up many of the stations my old HK reciever could pick up. I have the same antenna hooked up to the 950 as I did the HK. I am in a relatively tough area for FM but it is really bad on the 950. Does anyone have any experience to share on FM performance specifically FM in "rural" areas. Thanks
Posted by: Xyzfla

Re: 950 FM performance - 06/21/03 05:35 PM

I’m presently using a 950 in a HT set up and Classe equipment in a stereo setup. Both the 950 and Classe have TERK FM antennas attached. Both do very well. I really don’t see much difference in the ability to pull in my favorite stations. The Classe is easier to tune & does sound better though.
Try an after market antenna such as TERK.
Posted by: Kevin C Brown

Re: 950 FM performance - 06/21/03 05:49 PM

I thought at first, that the tuner in the 950 wasn't very good. But then I played around with the dipole antenna, and it ended up being "good enough" for me. Not as good as some dedicated tuners out there, but it did pick up all the small power, local college radio stations that I needed it to.
Posted by: Raider

Re: 950 FM performance - 06/21/03 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Xyzfla:
I’m presently using a 950 in a HT set up and Classe equipment in a stereo setup. Both the 950 and Classe have TERK FM antennas attached. Both do very well. I really don’t see much difference in the ability to pull in my favorite stations. The Classe is easier to tune & does sound better though.
Try an after market antenna such as TERK.

What specific Terk antenna are you using? I will give it a try
Posted by: Xyzfla

Re: 950 FM performance - 06/22/03 12:26 AM

I’ve used two TERK models the basic FM+ and the amplified AF-1. Of the two it sounds like the AF-1 is what you’ll need. There are larger models for even weaker signal areas but I haven’t used one of them. I believe the model is FM-PRO or FM-50.
Posted by: soundhound

Re: 950 FM performance - 06/22/03 12:42 AM

I have a strange situation. I live so close to the transmitters that I can practically spit on them, but they are up on a mountian and I am several thousand feet below. They shoot over my head, so my reception is total crap for TV and radio. That said, my 950's tuner performs as well as a Phase Linear tuner I have in pulling in clean stations. I have the Turk amplified antenna, and can pull in some of the stronger stations, but the weaker ones are a loss on both the Phase LInear and the 950.
Posted by: MixFixJ

Re: 950 FM performance - 06/22/03 08:01 PM

soundhound,
We're in the same boat. I can see the transmitters and still not recieve the signal. I'm using a Yamaha separate tuner. I tried one of the lower level Terk's and it only helped a little. I moved up to an amplified model with adjustable gain. It works pretty well.
Mix
Posted by: DaleB

Re: 950 FM performance - 06/23/03 12:35 AM

Ex-Terk user....since I bought this...it was a demo sale at $69.

no amps to adjust, use it indoors or outdoors mount vertical. I hid mine in a window behind the drapes...works like a champ!

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=MAGST2&product_name=ST-2%20FM%20Antenna
Posted by: HTLearner

Re: 950 FM performance - 06/24/03 05:25 PM

I tried a couple powered Terk antennas and they performed horribly for me. I had much better luck with a well-placed (spread out) regular old dipole. That turned out to work well enough for me.

One possibility that looked interesting though, is Magnum Dynalab's ST-2 (http://www.magnumdynalab.com/home.html).

-HTLearner
Posted by: Slee_Stack

Re: 950 FM performance - 06/26/03 10:28 PM

My 950 reception is on par with my last receiver, a Pioneer VSX-24TX, which is to say it's mediocre.

However, because I get generally strong signals thanks to my roof mounted antenna, it is not a real issue.

One feature I miss from the Pioneer was it's 'digital noise reduction' which worked rermarkedly well on weak FM stations. Now, I skip the more distant stations because the noise isn't weeded out on the 950. Not a real biggie though.

[This message has been edited by Slee_Stack (edited June 26, 2003).]

Re: 950 FM performance - 12/05/03 11:24 PM

Still have not found an equal to the Dynalab antenna. Highly recommended whether you have a 'radio' or 'tuner'.

[This message has been edited by DaleB (edited December 06, 2003).]
Posted by: bossobass

Re: 950 FM performance - 12/06/03 12:22 AM

The 950 has a RADIO?

Re: 950 FM performance - 12/07/03 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bossobass:
The 950 has a RADIO?

Per Merriam Webster it does if it is capable of receiving and/or processing electric currents or phenomena (as electromagnetic radiation ) of frequencies between about 15,000 and 10 (to the 11th) hertz

[This message has been edited by DaleB (edited December 07, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by DaleB (edited December 07, 2003).]