6.1 speaker hook up

Posted by: michaelstano

6.1 speaker hook up - 09/12/03 08:42 AM

My new (to me) 950 arrived yesterday, and I have begun the process of installing it. I apologize in advance if my question is answered elsewhere, but I have searched the manual and this forum without spotting the answer.

I understand how to configure the 950 to process a 6.1 signal, and I understand where to plug in my center channel speaker on the back of the 950. What I don't understand is where to plug in my single back surround. Does my single RCA cable go to the left back surround connection only, or do I need to "Y" my single cable to both the left and right back surround connections?

I am sure your answers will make me feel stupid, but TIA for any assistance.
Posted by: steves

Re: 6.1 speaker hook up - 09/12/03 10:13 AM

I believe you will want to connect your single speaker to the left back (or rear) surround output. You will not need a "Y"! Be sure to set speaker configuration for one rear speaker only. Have fun!
Posted by: gonk

Re: 6.1 speaker hook up - 09/12/03 11:32 AM

steves got it right in one -- the left surround back channel is the active output when the 950 is set up for 6.1. In the speaker configuration screen, the surround back speakers can be set to "LB/RB" (7.1), "BS(LB)" (6.1, with left back as the output), or "NONE" (5.1).

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

Re: 6.1 speaker hook up - 09/12/03 12:40 PM

Thanks, guys. I am sooo proud to have finally joined the 950 club! Now, if the new SVS "membership" would just arrive . . . .
Posted by: Alejate

Re: 6.1 speaker hook up - 09/13/03 01:45 PM

Michaelstano, welcome to the club! I also am an Outlaw/SVS owner and it's great to have you aboard. I found that the SVS sub showed up in record time, had to wait days for the Outlaw equip to arrive, (ordered the Outlaw equip before the SVS). Both offer exceptional value and customer support. If you have a partner, make sure he/she if part of the set up process, after all you will both have to live with it. I don't think a week goes by that I am not tweaking something with this system. In fact, yesterday I remeasured the distance of my speakers to the listening position just to make sure I set up the system correctly six months ago, (as if some international agency may have changed the metric system while I was sleeping). Have a geat time with it.

Re: 6.1 speaker hook up - 09/13/03 04:10 PM

Alejate,

Thanks for the welcome. I have owned an Outlaw 1050 for about 10 months, which led me to this forum and was instrumental in developing the lust I had for a 950. I am still "re-installing" my gear, having torn it apart to integrate the 950, and I'm going slowly so as to make sure all works before adding the next component (12 pieces in all--the 950, 4 Parasound amps, a Parasound stereo pre-amp, DVD, CD, VCR, cable, power center, 2nd zone volume controls). I ordered an SVS PB2-ISD, which should be here in 2 weeks (Tom at SVS e-mailed me today saying they are in the last stages of testing). I moved my other sub to my 2-channel, around-the-house system (with help from Gonk). So, it will be awhile before the whole system is back up.

Wonder if Outlaw knew what a strong selling point this forum would become when they initiated it. Hope I can contribute something once I have gone to school on the 950.

Mike

[This message has been edited by michaelstano (edited September 13, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by michaelstano (edited September 13, 2003).]