950, Does it still Hiss?

Posted by: Cball

950, Does it still Hiss? - 06/30/03 05:56 PM

Haven't posted in a while but I'm really interested in the 950/7100 combo. I owned a 950 about a year ago I guess and the Hiss was alful with my Klipsch speakers, Has this issue been resolved? Thanks

Cball
Posted by: Jed M

Re: 950, Does it still Hiss? - 06/30/03 06:00 PM

Short answer: Yes.

Re: 950, Does it still Hiss? - 06/30/03 06:04 PM

I thought I read about a bluedot that fixed this issue? Apparently not.

Cball
Posted by: Jed M

Re: 950, Does it still Hiss? - 06/30/03 06:49 PM

A little longer answer: Sorry, I meant to say that yes, it has been fixed. I was answering the question in your post, not your title, sorry. And welcome back, haven't seen you in a few months, or longer.

Re: 950, Does it still Hiss? - 06/30/03 07:02 PM

Thanks Jed M, Do you know If anybody else on this board is running the new bluedot with Klipsch?

Cball
Posted by: boblinds

Re: 950, Does it still Hiss? - 06/30/03 07:05 PM

NO, the 950 does not hiss. The hiss issue was resolved some time ago. The currently shipping units reflect changes in specification and design that eliminated the hiss that occurred in some systems.
Posted by: gonk

Re: 950, Does it still Hiss? - 06/30/03 07:12 PM

Welcome back , Cball. The blue dot revision back in December did finally squash the hiss issue, and all units shipped since then have included the blue dot revisions. As for Klipsh users, I can't think of any specific individuals off the top of my head, but I know they are out there. There's also a few other horn users around here, as well, including SoundHound, who has a system with Altec Lansing horns.

Oh, found one... it looks like scubadj has Klipsh, 950, and Parasound amps.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review
Posted by: Kevin C Brown

Re: 950, Does it still Hiss? - 07/01/03 01:57 AM

And to be a little more precise, in my system with Acurus amps (another problem interaction for the 950), the hiss was reduced by about 2/3 from the red dot (era) unit to the current version.

Remember, you still get the 30 day free trial.
Posted by: aej09

Re: 950, Does it still Hiss? - 07/01/03 12:31 PM

I recently got my 950. Before I swapped my Pioneer receiver out I turned the volume up with no source and realized an incredible ammount of hiss. I did the same when the 950 went in and the hiss was significantly reduced. Neither the 950 or the Pioneer had hiss during playback, but I do notice better sound quality (detail, clarity, and just plain ooomph). Both units were driven by the same rotel amps and playing through the same Infinity speakers. I read alot about the hiss issue before buying and was a little concerned . I no longer have any concerns.

Re: 950, Does it still Hiss? - 07/01/03 08:03 PM

Thanks Guys, we'll let me get caught up on some bill's and I'll be back into the HT swing again.

Cball
Posted by: JAMMINJC

Re: 950, Does it still Hiss? - 07/02/03 11:06 AM

I have the following Klipsch speakers used with B&K amps and 2003 issue 950:

mains- KLF30's
center- KSC-C1
surrounds- SB2's

Sitting in my sweet spot, which is approximately 10 feet dead center of all speakers I can hear know hiss whatsoever.
Posted by: Jeff Mackwood

Re: 950, Does it still Hiss? - 07/05/03 11:59 AM

Cball,

I've had no experience with previous versions of the 950. Mine is a new one with all of fixes. It works absolutely perfectly and is dead quiet.

Jeff
Posted by: DaleB

Re: 950, Does it still Hiss? - 07/05/03 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Mackwood:
Cball,

I've had no experience with previous versions of the 950. Mine is a new one with all of fixes. It works absolutely perfectly and is dead quiet.

Jeff

Same experience but jury is still out on the reversed polarity bass output in the analog mode ... I need to do further evaluation.