Kevin C Brown - celebrity?

Posted by: jacket_fan

Kevin C Brown - celebrity? - 03/25/03 10:59 AM

Did you get published in Stereophile?

Noticed a letter dicussing CDs and LPs with a sig of Kevin Brown.

If so, are you runing the phono preamp through the 950?
Posted by: Kevin C Brown

Re: Kevin C Brown - celebrity? - 03/25/03 04:04 PM

Same one! Yes, I use a Creek phono preamp.

They edited a bunch of stuff out of that letter, but you get the gist. I've only been reading Stereophile for a little while, and even though I find most of the reviews of eqp that is out of reach for the normal person, I do think they do the best speaker and CD (and CD playback from DVD player) reviews going. And their analog coverage is really impressive too.
Posted by: tofufot

Re: Kevin C Brown - celebrity? - 03/25/03 05:59 PM

Kudos KCB,
Speaking of analog. Did you ever get around to trying the Behringer tube thingy??? Inquiring minds want to know.
THX
Posted by: boblinds

Re: Kevin C Brown - celebrity? - 03/25/03 07:00 PM

I think I can answer that last question. Yes, he did. But I think it just gave him the resolve to build a dedicated two-channel tube-based system some day because I'm going to be buying the Behringer from Kevin to try it myself.

Outlaws stick together!

Re: Kevin C Brown - celebrity? - 03/25/03 08:18 PM

boblinds is Bob L!

Yes, integrated tube amp someday in a separate 2 channel music system. Got to thank Soundhound for that one...
Posted by: soundhound

Re: Kevin C Brown - celebrity? - 03/25/03 08:26 PM

Kevin - So I take it you liked the sound of the tubed EQ?

Re: Kevin C Brown - celebrity? - 03/25/03 10:54 PM

Soundhound- Because it's a piece of pro gear, with the different input levels, I got more benefit from it right after my DVD player rather than after the 950. The change in the sound quality was enough that yeah, *someday* I'm going have to try an integrated tube amp.

The challenge now, is either a completely separate system, or Y connectors and switch boxes to use the same source components and speakers, but to be able t switch between the 950 and the solid state amps now to the integrated tube amp. Something *new* to think about...
Posted by: Will

Re: Kevin C Brown - celebrity? - 03/26/03 03:12 AM

Quote:

The change in the sound quality was enough that yeah, *someday* I'm going have to try an integrated tube amp.

I have not tried an integrated tube amp in my system is because I'm quite happy with the system I have now. And it goes without saying that if I try an integrated tube amp, I might not be so happy with what I have now.

Re: Kevin C Brown - celebrity? - 03/26/03 08:57 AM

Kevin:

Thanks for the placement tip. I have a switch box taking my music sources into the 5.1 bypass, so I'll stick the Behringer between that and the 950.

Bob _L..no .. wait .. here I'm .. boblinds .. just a sec ... I'd rather be ..

Ben Affleck
Posted by: Smart Little Lena

Re: Kevin C Brown - celebrity? - 03/26/03 11:30 AM

Bob L , I’m sure being you is very exciting. And I bet life with J-Lo is really just overrated.

Kevin, any chance you could post excerpt of your letter over here, for those (me) who usually never bother to pick up the mags? Congrats on being published !!

Re: Kevin C Brown - celebrity? - 03/26/03 12:33 PM

Oh, I'd dump J-Lo for my real wife in a Hollywood minute. I'd only want to be Ben to find out what it's like to be handsome, wealthy, influential, admired and powerful without the apparent benefit of actual talent.

Re: Kevin C Brown - celebrity? - 05/28/03 03:33 PM

See the latest one? I actually sent that in before the last one concerning Michael Fremer and analog vs digital sound quality.

Also, even before I got "educated" about tubes and even and odd order harmonics, having the Behringer tub eq in my system, etc. Wish I could take that part back...
Posted by: soundhound

Re: Kevin C Brown - celebrity? - 05/28/03 05:30 PM

Kevin:

Could you re-print your letter here in this forum? I would buy the Stereophile, but we're all stocked up on toilet paper.....
Posted by: scooter

Re: Kevin C Brown - celebrity? - 05/29/03 02:20 AM

Ouch!

Re: Kevin C Brown - celebrity? - 05/29/03 10:24 PM

Gimme a day or two. Mostly about how I think they have the best speaker reviews out there (except that they never ever comment on anomalous freq response curves with really expensive speakers), and that I've seen a lot of readers complain that they only review super expensive equipment, but I actually bought a pair of $500 Acoustic Energy speakers based on a review of an even cheaper pair, and that I wish I had subscribed earlier. In truth, I think the good is worth the bad you have to wade through... They do perform the most comprehensive measurements of any publication now.
Posted by: HT crazed

Re: Kevin C Brown - celebrity? - 05/30/03 09:56 AM

Has anyone considered or used a 2 channel pre with Theater loop, unity gain, HT bypass, etc.? I'm still looking for the right pre, but think its much more elegant that using the y adapter. If tried it, and it degraded the sound on both ends.
Posted by: bstan

Re: Kevin C Brown - celebrity? - 06/03/03 01:09 AM

I've been using a 2-channel preamp (Parasound 1100D) for the last 5 years as the control center for my combined 2-channel/HT system with Dynaudio Contour speakers all around. I feed the L&R preouts of the HT prepro to an AUX-IN on the 2-channel preamp.

This way I can leave the prepro and DVD turned off when listening to 2-channel CD and TT.

The only issue with my setup is that I don't have an HT bypass on the 2-channel preamp, but the 12 o'clock volume position = unity gain.

[This message has been edited by bstan (edited June 03, 2003).]
Posted by: Hoots

Re: Kevin C Brown - celebrity? - 06/07/03 04:25 PM

Me too.

Scott 222c tube integrated amp & Sony SACD/CD player with Music Hall TT.

I connect the DVD player to the 1050 and the pre-amp out to the "extra" input on the Scott. 1:00 on the Scott volume.

I would love a HT Pass through to mate my 2-channel with my Outlaw HT gear.
Posted by: OFCCM

Re: Kevin C Brown - celebrity? - 06/08/03 03:09 AM

HT Crazed,

It is amazing how many preamps and even some integrateds are offering the processor loops standard with a lot of their models and most others offer it as an option. Just name your poison and price, solid state or tube. I am using a tubed Anthem Pre 2L (no longer in production) and very seriously considering going the integrated route with a Plinius 8200 Mk II. If not I am going to step up to either Rogue, VTL, or find a used Sonic Frontier Line 1 or 2. Others I personally know about with loops available are Conrad Johnson, Quicksilver, and Cary in tubes. McCormack, Plinius, Audio Refinement, PS Audio, Belles, Bel Canto and I think Blue Circle in solid state. I think, don't hold me to it, that AMC even has a low priced model with a processor loop. A lot of these preamps are floating around in the used market, if you see a model and are unsure write the person selling it or go to the manufacturing website. It is just getting a lot more common than when I traded in my CJ-7 3 years back just to get the Anthem because it had the processor loop. The Anthem is good and with the right tube rolling it is very nice, especially for the price (and built like a tank). I just like to change around and I have had it for a few years. Ready to try something new.