Probably the dumbest thing you've ever heard...

Posted by: RMEpunk

Probably the dumbest thing you've ever heard... - 02/18/03 01:24 PM

Flames for general stupidity aside, I have a question.

Would it be possible to hook up the 950 to my Sony reciever through the 5.1 analog inputs? I know it's not a good solution, I'm asking if it would work...

Thanks
-bq
Posted by: soundhound

Re: Probably the dumbest thing you've ever heard... - 02/18/03 02:01 PM

I suppose it would work - hey, who am I to judge what consenting adults do behind closed doors?
Posted by: gonk

Re: Probably the dumbest thing you've ever heard... - 02/18/03 02:05 PM

Actually, I've heard the question here before... Yes, it is possible. You will need to settle on a volume setting on the Sony and leave it there, then calibrate the speaker levels and control the volume at the 950 thereafter.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review
Posted by: thigg

Re: Probably the dumbest thing you've ever heard... - 02/18/03 11:45 PM

Whuttttt?
i don't even think Langstrom will be able to figure that one out.
really, i don't advise it. point in fact.
i once sold a harmon kardon e.q. to a couple who'd bought some really bad ....stuff.
tried to explain how this is really not the cure...her friends ..do it..do it..it'll fix it. she did it (she worked as an audio tech for theatre)...came in the next week...her sony amp wuz all blowed up...whut happened?
caveat emptor, mon amie

Re: Probably the dumbest thing you've ever heard... - 02/18/03 11:48 PM

SH, u slay me. that was funny! are you steve martin?
please tell this guy not to do that!
Posted by: soundhound

Re: Probably the dumbest thing you've ever heard... - 02/18/03 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by thigg:

please tell this guy not to do that!

Don't do that!

Re: Probably the dumbest thing you've ever heard... - 02/18/03 11:55 PM

hey RME! i see u r from allentown...oops wrong town

Re: Probably the dumbest thing you've ever heard... - 02/19/03 12:00 AM

naw..really she blew it up and he didn't understand and i had to tell the boss why they were going mad in the store. believe me,we moved the maggies and the time windows really quick.
moral of the madness: don't do something..strange...that no one understands and that over 50% of the people will likely make fun of ... later.

Re: Probably the dumbest thing you've ever heard... - 02/19/03 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by thigg:
hey RME! i see u r from allentown...oops wrong town

You're telling me...

The guy over at Tweeter said this would work... more of an issue (regarding you telling me not to do this) is whether or not I could screw up the 950 by doing this? I really don't care that much about the Sony... (even though it is all I have right now...) 23, married, children... poor me. and if I *did* blow up the sony, I could persuade my wife to let me get an amp... so long as it wouldn't kill the 950...

Re: Probably the dumbest thing you've ever heard... - 02/19/03 12:52 AM

oh fer god's sake. if you don't care about the receiver, do not blow up your new thing.(ok, i'm from mississippi...things are what you buy, stuff is under your finger nails).
again i say. do not hook these two units up. true, if you knew what you were doing...it might just work. pretend it's an atom bomb...and you jst paid a lot of money for it. do you really want to risk throwing your money away? I think not! save the sony, save the 950. drink some ...stuff...and think about it in the morning. is she really worth it?)(*&%$#@!! I hope so if you fry it all.
nuff said...(i hope)
Don't do it, dude!
Posted by: Jody Robins

Re: Probably the dumbest thing you've ever heard... - 02/19/03 08:05 AM

Not ideal, but as long as you leave the Sony alone after you get it set up, I don't see the problem.

Re: Probably the dumbest thing you've ever heard... - 02/19/03 01:04 PM

i see no problem either..yet. jst read my horror story. it really happened. the young lady was a audio technician for a local theatre here in hotlanta. the problem was they had bought some b-s- speakers and they had no bass and the sound was thin and if they turned up the sony rcvr. the spkrs rumbled or something like that. she had already made her mind up that a equalizer would solve the problem. i don't believe in band-aiding a problem...if there is a viable alternative. believe me, i've pulled wiring out of blown up hotels in bosnia and kuwait to make longer jumpers for generators...but i don't recommend it. i had ta get us on the air, RME doesn't, he just needs his tunes. i recommend leaving the 950 alone for now...till a proper multi-amp is available and using the rcvr. you cannot get surround by input things into a 950 and outputting the 950 to a stereo rcvr. if the rcvr is surround then jst use it. the sound will not be better by going from the 950 to another reciever.
gotta go..IT man is here and my puter has a cold. be rat back

Re: Probably the dumbest thing you've ever heard... - 02/19/03 02:53 PM

The receiver is Dolby Digital surround, I just wanted to get Pro-Logic 2 decoding and dts... but my Pioneer DV45A player handles dts from any disc just fine, so it was mostly the PL2 and dts:neo I was looking for. So I'll either save my pennies and get both at once, or maybe get lucky and get at least half of the combo as a birthday present, and then I can easily get the other half myself...

For the record, I'm hoping I don't end up in Kuwait anytime soon, in case you hadn't figured out the RME thing = Army...

Re: Probably the dumbest thing you've ever heard... - 02/19/03 04:05 PM

wow, they keep making up all those alphabet things, still, huh? i was in the air force, '69 - '71. great time but i didn't do 'nam, either. worked for the brass for 2 years in japan...an army base, Camp Zama. it was known as the little pentagon cause it was the hq for vietnam silly talk. r n r base, too. there was a tiny group o us that ran round to all the different military command posts and kept up the crypto gear and the microwave systems and all kinds a wierd sheet. also had a 'gut wound' hospital there i stayed in for a few days. when the movie 'mash' came out...we watched it from a theatre with helicopters flying over head with bodies strapped to em going to the gut ward in sagami ono. boy you brought memories! anyway, don't worry bought kuwait...look we got half a million guys n girls surrounding iraq with more heavy metal than you can shake a snake with. we're surrounding a country that has a few hundred thousand soldiers...some of em are even still able bodied...they don't even have many bullets. heck, 12 yrs. ago i was in kuwait with...some of your guys...and a few who shall remain nameless.it was like that then...daddy needs a new oil wheel tho.
to fair, i am on our side and as a past 'soldier' i know ya gotta do whut ya gotta do. still, come on folks. u should go to india or pakistan...our next big mess...oh, don't forget N korea.
good luck no matter what they do with ya. keep yer head down low...their riding shetland ponies! i could say more but i'm sure i'm gonna get jumped on some of this. heck, no ones asked me about palestine yet. now there's a mess...what you see and hear, here, is soooooo far from the truth.
gotta go for now