Questions about new 950 purchase

Posted by: EEBuckeye

Questions about new 950 purchase - 02/09/03 08:16 PM

The 950/770 combo is my first venture into separates and I have a few questions:

1) I have a Scientific Atlanta 3100HD cable box that only outputs digital sound on the digital coax and analog sound on the rca plugs. On my previous Denon 3300 receiver, I could assign a digital input to a source that also had a analog input. When the receiver detected a digital signal, it automatically cutoff the analog signal and would switch back when the digital signal was gone. Is it possible to do this with the 950? So far, I have to press a button to change source when I goto a digital channel with digital sound and change the source again when going back to an analog station. Anyway around this?

I know the 950 remote has a digital input select button, but that makes me scroll through coax 1, coax 2, opt 1, opt 2, etc...

2) I am getting a Pronto remote, does the 950 have a discrete code for each digital input?

3) I have a Paradigm Studio setup with Studio 100's, Studio ADP, Studio CC. What would you recommend that I setup the crossovers to and what to set the speaker size to? I definitely want the 100's set to large but what about the others? What crossover frequency should I use? I have an older Paradigm PS1200 subwoofer.

4) On the 950 remote, I can press any source button to turn on the 950, but when I press the AUD button then Power to turn it to standby mode, the CBL button lights whenever I press Power and I can't get the 950 to standby mode with the remote. I have cleared all the learned codes and still can not get the 950 to turn off with the remote.

Thank you in advance!

Brad
Posted by: gonk

Re: Questions about new 950 purchase - 02/09/03 11:42 PM

1) I have a similar digital cable box, and have the same problem. One thing that you could do is set up a macro to send the digital select signal five or six times to scroll from analog to the coax input you need and a separate macro to send the digital select signal a time or two to send it back to analog...

2) There are several Pronto setups available at Remote Central , but there are not discrete codes that I know of for the digital inputs.

3) I have Paradigm Studios as well. The 100's should do well set to large, although you might also experiment with small and 40Hz. I have used 60Hz and 80Hz for the Studio/CC, and am currently using 80. I have the ADP's are at 100Hz, if I remember correctly.

4) The power button can be set up as a macro. It sounds like this has happened in your case. Check out the manual (don't have it handy on my wife's laptop), and be aware that the example in the manual has an error in it -- it describes setting up a "power on" macro and says to use the power button for each device to send the power command, even though the instructions earlier in the section correctly state to use the "mute" button to represent the power command.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review