I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree?

Posted by: eskendir

I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/16/03 12:59 PM

I am starting this thread in hopes that if a great number of us post our feeling about the outlaw logo and look(most of us hate it with passion) maybe we will convince the people at Outlaw to change that ugly logo as well as the look of all their products. I for one will galdly pay more for a classy look /finish.
Posted by: soundhound

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/16/03 01:33 PM

I don't think it looks all that bad, especially with the new font. NAD products look similar, which is not surprising since the head Outlaw came from there, I believe. I do wonder though why they bothered to use an aluminum faceplace on the 950 and then go to what seems a lot of trouble to make it look like it's made of plastic.

Personally, I wouldn't pay more for more flashy looks - the beauty comes from within

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited January 16, 2003).]

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/16/03 01:46 PM

I have started a thread with the same topic at avsforum.com and I must say, Soundhound you are the first one to say you don't mind the look. Check out what others have to say at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=212363&highlight=outlaw

[This message has been edited by eskendir (edited January 16, 2003).]

Posted by: alfredo mora

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/16/03 01:52 PM

The logo is just part of what makes Outlaw so unique. One NO vote here. And keep the green too.

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/16/03 02:04 PM

eskendir:

Well, regardless of what other's may think on another forum, I buy equipment for what it _does_, not what it looks like. Frankly, they could have packaged the 950 in a grey 'bud box', and it wouldn't matter to me (much-- ) When the 950 had a hiss issue, that was important, and I was one of the first to call them for it. They fixed it more effectively than anybody had hoped. Things like cosmetics don't compare to real operational issues.

I realize that looks are very important to some people, (hell, I have a motorcycle that's got more chrome than a 1959 Cadillac) but with electronic equipment, looks for me are secondary. Look at some of the recent pro-audio equipment! The "ugly" retro-big-nasty-black-knob-wrinkle-paint-finish stuff is selling like mad.

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/16/03 02:19 PM

soundhound:
My wife doesn't care how an equipment performs if it looks ugly. I have a hard time bringing home products like Outlaw's. I always have to balance looks and performance when I purchase audio/video products. Even though all Outlaw products are very good performers their look is down right ugly. When one can have both good looks and performance, why settle for less?

Posted by: willscary

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/16/03 02:29 PM

mine sits in an entertainment system behind smoked glass so I can barely see it with the lights on. We generally watch movies with the lights dimmed. I could care less how it looks, but I do actually LIKE the simple look. reminds me, as SH said, of the old classic NAD stuff. I own several pieces of that (old NAD) also.

Hell, if they don't like the looks, for the $600 difference you could build a small closet to hold everything but the DVD player and VCR, and add an IR repeater. Then everything is completely out of site, including wires, and the wife would be ecstatic!

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/16/03 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by eskendir:
soundhound:
My wife doesn't care how an equipment performs if it looks ugly.

Maybe she's an interior decorator at heart (or literally), so looks are very important. Great, I say. Truth be told, I think the looks of Bose equipment is pretty spiffy .....B...U....T.....!!

I have much bigger fish to fry. Besides, you can always take the faceplate off and have it titanium plated, airbrushed or whatever, put your own graphics on, and really make a fashion statement.

Posted by: charlie

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/16/03 02:54 PM

I like the new logo, I like the green button (adds character), I do wonder why they work so hard to make a nice aluminum faceplate look like something less than it is. If I had a say I'd just switch from that powder coat looking stuff to a brushed black anodized finish and call it good, but it's not a huge deal.

Actually the biggest gripe I have with the cosmetics (and cosmetics are secondary anyway) is the cheap and funky looking volume knob that seems to be an Outlaw Audio signature item. It looks like a half melted factory second. Something in aluminum, finished to match the faceplate (see above ) and with simple knurling or rubber inserts would go a long way IMO. While they're at it the rest of the switchgear looks a bit cheap too.

Everything else is maybe not exactly to my taste, but that's not really a valid critique. Looking cheap IMO is always bad.
Posted by: Kevin C Brown

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/16/03 03:31 PM

I wonder if/when the 950 will appear with the new logo...

I say, change the logo. The newer one *is* an improvement. But get rid of the silk screen, and go to metal plates or something.

I don't believe that the *appearance* of the 950 is indicative of the performance contained within.

Some people *do* unfortunately judge a book by its cover.

Many posts in the past about people who would buy the Sherbourn and AT version simply because of the higher upscale looks on them.

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/16/03 03:42 PM

When I said I like the logo I was referring to the *new* logo. Didn't really like the old one and yes, I'd consider the AT if it doesn't cost too much more. Not because I'm judging the performance by the wrapper, just because the wrapper is part of the product, and I have to look at it every day.

Too bad the AT looks like it has the same or similar cheap molded knob.

[This message has been edited by charlie (edited January 16, 2003).]
Posted by: m-mmeyer

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/16/03 05:36 PM

SH your function over form theory works for me to! But the question I have is does the ugly volume knob work? On most of the 1050s they didn't work worth squat, as a matter of fact mine doesn't work well at all and am thinking of remedying the situation.

------------------
m-mmeyer
GO TWINS
My DVD's
Posted by: DOBEMAN

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/16/03 05:56 PM

I think the New look logo they have on the 200 looks pretty good. They should release it on the New 950's. The green button has got to go, everyone who had said they think it looks cool, has got to be kidding. The fit and finish of the 950 is really pretty good but they should think of how the 950 is preceived buy a potential buyer. The face plate looks like a 500 dollar piece of gear at best, but sounds like a piece of gear two or three times its value. Just dress it up a little, use something like the Pioneer Elite or Sony gloss black. I dont want to be a 950 beauty basher, but if your spending money already to finish a product, and there isnt any additional cost to finish it why not do it. So here we go, replace the green power button with black. Replace the volume dial with something fitting a piece of higher end gear. Get rid of the industrial finish and go to something with a gloss black or smooth look semi satin finish. The new silk screen is a must. Well I guess I turned out to be a beauty basher after all, sorry Outlaw. Now that I have hit you square in your face plate, I cant say enough about what a great sounding piece of gear the 950 Blue dot is.
Posted by: gonk

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/16/03 06:01 PM

Interesting to see this topic reappear. Prior to the logo change (see the new font at the top left corner of this browser window, and on the face of the new Model 200's), there was a heated debate about the logo. Even with that somewhat whimsical logo, there were a large number (probably majority) of posters in this forum who liked the logo or didn't care either way. I can't speak for the membership of other forums, but historically most of us have not hated it, without or without a passion. With the revised logo, I think they addressed the major complaints presented in that thread. I would like to see future production runs of the existing product line (950, 770, 755, ICBM, 1050) use the new logo, but I suspect that's already in Outlaw's plans. (My office is in the midst of a name change, so I feel for them on the endless hassles involved on a logo change -- it's almost impossible to implement instantly.) A metal plate (maybe a simple casting) in place of the silkscreen might be nice, but I understand why they haven't done anything like that to date. Personally, I like the logo (new more than old, but I never had a problem with the old one) and the green power button, for what it's worth...

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/16/03 06:02 PM

Dobeman:
I couldn't agree with you more. Great comment.

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/16/03 06:30 PM

A metal plate generally looks like some very low production cheesy thing to me. Silkscreen is OK, if you need something better etch or engrave or something. The green button is a non-issue.

My recipe:

- Fix the switchgear, especially the volume knob.
- Consider a nicer finish.
- Use the new logo.

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/16/03 06:55 PM

Those who can not stand the Outlaw logo can get the Sherbourne or the Atlantic Technology.

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/16/03 07:27 PM

Or anything else for that matter. I don't see that clones are the only option.
Posted by: Smart Little Lena

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/16/03 07:42 PM

If we are polling, and being female (who usually rate ‘looks’ high) I guess I’d have to say I’ve accomplished a 190. At first glancing at the Outlaw I was disappointed it did not have what I considered the elegant quietly unassuming good looks of my old receiver. Which was brushed Aluminum. (which some people hate).

Then as every piece was replaced in the last 12 months, I ended up with ‘all black’ faceplates…on everything……luck of the draw. When our infamous AV cabinet was completed and everything slid in. Everyone commented on the ‘look’ of the setup, how it looked imposing (but took a backseat) to the display which sits just above. The all black ‘wall’ (3 and 3) was a nice look, which did not distract from the screen. Then I went and purchased a new HD STB, faceplate silver. Screwed the whole theme up and even the teenagers commented…. Why’d you get silver? (Only comes in). Well so happens this unit was returned and I’m back to midnight across the board. . But it made me realize that unlike shoe and dress matching  . There’s no telling ‘what’ color/material I’ll end up with down the road, since I can only buy for performance (not theme) it will just have to be…’luck of the draw’.

I’m used to ‘Car’ guys who will shoot you if you lean on their paint and ‘Aviators’ who shoot you if you walk down a wing wrong. But I never realized ‘AV’ guys ‘CARED’ so much about aesthetics’.

I was admiring the sheer good looks and poetry of line in a ‘Total Control’ Steering rack mechanism the other day. It almost looked like modern art rather than a front end part, so it is nice when the ‘outer’ satisfies (…. a perk on top of a buy for ‘function’).
Would not bother me if they changed it, but does not bother me a bit, - if they don’t…in fact….
“I’ve grown accustomed to your face”.

Now if they can do something to give it the kind of distinctive good looks of most Ferrari’s or a Shelby Series One - Vs say any Sedan……I might sit up and take notice. They just don’t have that much sheet metal surface area to play with in AV.

Hey do you think we could change the 'horse' to the Ferrari stallion!

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/16/03 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by m-mmeyer:
SH your function over form theory works for me to! But the question I have is does the ugly volume knob work? On most of the 1050s they didn't work worth squat, as a matter of fact mine doesn't work well at all and am thinking of remedying the situation.

I'm confused - work? Isn't it supposed to turn, and in doing so, raise and lower the volume? Besides, my hand is covering it when I'm using it anyway, so I can't see it

Peter Tribeman is probably quakeing in his boots, knowing the fashion possie is a 'gunnin fer him.....

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/16/03 10:48 PM

Soundhound,

I like that quakeing in his boots, gave me a good laugh. Now that he is aware of the fashion possie he will have to lay down with one eye open from now on.
Posted by: psklenar

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/17/03 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
Interesting to see this topic reappear. ...

Just like a bad penny.

Quote:
... Personally, I like the logo (new more than old, but I never had a problem with the old one) and the green power button, for what it's worth...

I'm in the same boat as Gonk here folks.

Quote:
Originally posted by Smart Little Lena:
I’m used to ‘Car’ guys who will shoot you if you lean on their paint and ‘Aviators’ who shoot you if you walk down a wing wrong. But I never realized ‘AV’ guys ‘CARED’ so much about aesthetics’.

Actually, Aviators have a good reason for that. Change the shape of their wing - i.e.; denting it by walking in the wrong area - and you'll change the way it flies ... if it still flies.

Quote:
Originally posted by soundhound:
Peter Tribeman is probably quakeing in his boots, knowing the fashion possie is a 'gunnin fer him

Knowing Peter as I've come to over the past several years ... I have to say that I don't think there's much in this world that would make him "quake in his boots".

[This message has been edited by psklenar (edited January 17, 2003).]
Posted by: Philip Hamm

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/17/03 09:51 AM

I do not like the new "Outlaw" font, glad I got the original logo (which I also dislike). I think the little guy on the horse "O" is friggin hideous.

Everything else about the 950's aesthetics I love. I think it looks understated and classy, I even like the volume knob. A more classy logo would be cool, but I buy this stuff to use not to look at. When the lights are down and the movie's on who cares what everything looks like? I've got at least 6 different brands and looks in my system rack so it's a big mess anyways.

------------------
Philip Hamm

[This message has been edited by Philip Hamm (edited January 17, 2003).]
Posted by: steves

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/17/03 09:59 AM

To me, it looks fine. Not that much different from all the other "black boxes" I have. Some are shinier that others.
Posted by: Oaf

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/17/03 10:52 AM

I kinda like the logo...in fact, I am still hoping for some merchandising type things...coffee mugs, hats, etc...

[This message has been edited by Oaf (edited January 17, 2003).]
Posted by: willscary

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/17/03 11:46 AM

Hideous? There must be something wrong with me. I seem to be under the notion that I bought an incredible piece of audio equipment at a rediculously lower price than it is worth. Yet people are worried so much about looks, and even a logo, that they would contemplate paying hundreds of dollars more for something that nobody looks at when a movie is playing.

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/17/03 11:59 AM

Quote:
... something that nobody looks at when a movie is playing.

I don't have a dedicated HT only room so there are lots of times (most of the time, actually) when I can look at it and there's no movie playing. It is at these times I notice cosmetic issues, and yes, I might consider paying a few hundred more to get away from them. More likely it could be a factor that would tip me toward spending a thousand or so more to eradicate the cosmetic and a few other issues with it. Little things can add up.

Having said that I must apply a bit of perspective to the above by restating that yes, of course cosmetics are a secondary or tertiary concern, but they are a real factor in market acceptance none the less.

I get the strong feeling I'm not alone on this, that there are quite a few customers that are buying on value (a good idea) but who are not completely thrilled with the cosmetics of the equipment. Someone might want to notice this.

Just my $0.02.
Posted by: jwallace

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/17/03 02:06 PM

Maybe the solution is for the Outlaws to offer a low cost "logo enhancement" self-stick plaque to cover the original logo. Many suppiers of A/V equipment use a raised plaque as their standard way to show off a logo already.

For me, I really don't care. As has already been pointed out in this forum, you can't see the logo when the lights are out. Many of use have most of the gear hidden from constant view anyway.
Posted by: dragonmonger

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/17/03 02:23 PM

Personally I like the look of the unit. The green button is destinctive, now if the LCD display had been green as well that would be cool.

However the day I brought my 950 home my wife's first comments were "That logo is horrible they really need to change it." The new one pictured on the 200 gallery is not much of an improvment to her either.

So my offer is that since she is a graphic designer in marketing we will happily design a new one in exchange for some gear. Peter if you are interested let me know.

Dragon
Posted by: trancethereal

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/17/03 09:04 PM

While it should be self-evident that performance matters above all, commenting on the rather anemic aesthetics doesn't mean you have made that your priority.

The technical merits and performance of the 950 will never drive a customer away - but the looks, well, that can and probably has.

From a consumer's perspective - that is their loss. But from a company's perspective, that customer is their loss. And that matters.

When a product performs three times its price *AND* looks three times its price, you truly have a remarkable product. Missing any part of the equation makes it novel at best.

I think the 950 is an excellent product - good enough that there are three clones. But aesthetically speaking - it is, IMHO, third rate.

Something tells me that if they had the "look" of a Krell, Mark Levinson, Aragon, EAD, Parasound's Halo etc.. defending its current look would be difficult. Good design (exterior) doesn't have to be expensive.

Considering the economies of scale - one would think the price increase (if necessary) would be minimal. A low price-point is one of Outlaws primary goal - and they should continue that mission.

One vote to improve the looks. The new logo is not much of an issue.

[This message has been edited by trancethereal (edited January 17, 2003).]

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/17/03 09:32 PM

Pls remember folks, it was never my intention to question the performance or value of the 950 nor any of other Outlaw's products for that matter. But when you can both good looks and performance, why not shoot for both? Remember there are great a number of folks out there who have to the approval of their spouse to bring some beast like the 770 home. I can tell you most of us would have a great deal of hard time to convince the other half, if we can convince them at all. I have no doubt that Outlaw have lost many potential customer because of the cheap cheesy look of their product.

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/17/03 10:02 PM

eskendir:

I see your point, and I actually agree. I wonder how much of the mindset of the Outlaws is that a product must 'look the price'? This is something that the Head Outlaw has to ask himself. I'm not bothered by "the look",. but then again, I am not bothered by the look of 'industrial electronics' - I admit it, I'm a gearhead. You have brought up an intresting thread, and a very useful one. Let's see what happens......

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/17/03 10:21 PM

You're welcome to dislike the current logo, but all I ask is that you don't question our sanity, belittle us or act incredulous when some of us say that we actually like the logo as is. Because some of us do. Me for one.

------------------
pat----

email: pat@sklenar.info ---===--- home page: Grumpy's Lair

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/17/03 11:04 PM

Quote:
Something tells me that if they had the "look" of a Krell, Mark Levinson, Aragon, EAD, Parasound's Halo etc.. defending its current look would be difficult. Good design (exterior) doesn't have to be expensive.

Now that's funny. It looks like your examples may prove that good design IS expensive. Starting in the thousands. I will admit though, that Halo equipment does look good! So, what's CHEAP and looks good according to all you design experts?

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/18/03 03:33 AM

I guess we all need to remember that whatever each of us thinks, is opinion. Not meant to denigrate what anyone else thinks or feels.

Oh, cheap gear that looks good: Acurus, in my opinion. "Value oriented audiophile gear." You can make good sounding gear that looks good too. And depending on what the upper ceiling for "cheap" is, I say that the B&K Ref 50 is hands down the best looking pre/pro out there right now. The old Ref 7250, 2220, etc. amps are also very nice looking. The Rotel 1066 ain't half bad either. But I wanted the features, performance, and quality inside the 950 in spite of its "underwhelming" looks. *My* opinion...

[This message has been edited by Kevin C Brown (edited January 18, 2003).]

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/18/03 12:13 PM

soundhound:
Thanks, I hope the debate will continue to intesify with more sound input/thoughts from many other Outlaw owners and non-owners alike.
Posted by: dmeister

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/18/03 06:30 PM

I think the point here is that a product like the 950 doesn't have to look butt-ugly to work right. The AT clone will perform exactly the same, but uses a slightly different finish on the faceplate and buttons, which couldn't possibly add that much more to the price. Most high-end preprocessors have been "beautified" by their manufacturers, which means that most have decided that high-end gear should also be relatively attractive. I keep my gear in an open rack for maximum ventilation, so everyone has to look at this stuff. But, if you have those tasteful paintings of dogs playing poker and pool and stuff on the wall of your AV room, maybe cosmetics aren't such a big concern.

That said, Outlaw could probably make even more money and please even more customers by at least offering a silver finish with complementary buttons on the faceplates of their gear and charging another $100 or so for it... A win-win situation for everyone.

[This message has been edited by dmeister (edited January 18, 2003).]

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/18/03 07:07 PM

I think, at least for me, you're absolutely on the right track. Cosmetics alone won't kill a sale (for me) but they do contribute to the overall value of the package. So if the overall value can be substantially boosted with a minor amount of cost - go for it. It's a business choice, in the end.
Posted by: DennisG

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/18/03 08:35 PM

I just got my 950 yesterday and the only thing that I was worried about was the looks of the unit. I was not worried about its performance at all. I was actually a little nervous while opening the box. I have read a lot about the unit over the past couple of months and always read about how cheap their gear looks. After looking at it for a day now, the only thing that stand out in my eyes is the volume knob. The logo, buttons, and finish do not bother me at all. I just wish it had a aluminum or nicer looking volume knob. The rubbery look just doesn't do it for me.

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/18/03 08:37 PM

But the rubber protects you from injuring your fingers if you have to lower the volume in a hurry

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/18/03 08:58 PM

soundhound: now that is funny

[This message has been edited by eskendir (edited January 18, 2003).]

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/18/03 09:19 PM

Quote:
...the only thing that stand out in my eyes is the volume knob.

I agree. The new logo is an improvement IMO, but the old one wasn't that bad. The volume knob looks like a factory second of a cheap knob, kinda crummy to start with and misshapen on top of that.

The other stuff could stand improvement, but isn't important at all. Heck, the knob is really ugly but cosmentics are secondary. I could live with it, I'm just not sure that's a ringing endorsement to the marketing or design dept.

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/18/03 10:45 PM

Check this out. I came across this interesting post at AVS forum.

I am planning on purchasing an Outlaw 770...

Not because of it's looks (obviously) but because of it's performance.
I am certainly not one to pass a great product by, just because I don't care for it's appearance, afterall, form does follow function imo... but things like the look of the Outlaw are relatively easy things to fix, and probably never should have been done to begin with.

Are the looks going to keep me from buying Outlaw?
Probably not.

Would I really prefer it if they were prettier?
Absolutely... and I'd pay more for it.

I will let it be known that I am keeping my options open with regards to amplifiers to power a Rocket Ultra System... and if the Outlaws had a more refined look, I probably would have ordered the 770 already. If I find a similar value (don't think I will) that is more aesthetically pleasing, sucks to be Outlaw.

I can agree with the philosophy that performance should always outweigh looks... however, when it comes to items of this nature, we being HT/Music enthusiasts have certain things we're used to seeing. High quality finishes, and aesthetically pleasing designs are rather common in the world of A/V... and as this post clearly illustrates, the people who are spending the money like them.

Again, Outlaw is still #1 on my list for the incredible value it represents... but couldn't we even get flat black? I would be just fine with a flat black finish, like NAD. I think that has a classy look. Grey plastic, and fisher price style green buttons don't do it for me.

I'll end up rattle canning this bad boy... watch.

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/18/03 10:56 PM

Quote:
After looking at it for a day now, the only thing that stand out in my eyes is the volume knob.
You bring up a good point DennisG. The 950 does look a lot better "in person" vs. the pictures on the net.
Quote:
But, if you have those tasteful paintings of dogs playing poker and pool and stuff on the wall of your AV room, maybe cosmetics aren't such a big concern.

Hey! I resent that! I like those dogs. I think mine's an original by Kinkade! Looks great next to the Elvis on velvet painting. And the orange shag really sets the mood! I have to admit though, I would like a 950 in silver cause that would really go well with the wheels on my house.
Quote:
But I wanted the features, performance, and quality inside the 950 in spite of its "underwhelming" looks. *My* opinion...

My opinion also! I'm guessing that in order to sell this unit for $899 and meet budget, the money spent on cosmetics (or design) was minimal with the "big bucks" put toward the insides. Maybe the future "higher-end" processor will knock our socks off with a super looking exterior to go with a knockout list of features. For a "little more money", of course!

[This message has been edited by steves (edited January 18, 2003).]

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/18/03 11:06 PM

Hey, Steve, better hang on to that Elvis painting -- mighty hard to find velvet Elvis these days. I was just talking about that with an architect earlier this week. (Yep, one of the perks of living in Memphis, we get to keep up to date on the caliber of Elvis souvenirs...)

------------------

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/18/03 11:27 PM

Quote:
.....Grey plastic, and fisher price style green buttons don't do it for me.

The front panel of the 950 is actually aluminum, they just went to a lot of trouble to make it _look_ like plastic. Weird, huh.....

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/19/03 04:14 AM

Cool, I heavily agree that looks *enhance* the package, but it would take some gawdaweful looks to turn me off of a piece of gear that otherwise was an excellent performer.

Personally, I'd be very interested to see if ever there's a 950 Mk II and if anything changes cosmetically, and then if/when the 950's big brother comes out.

Another thought is this: when someone visits and checks out my HT, there's a certain level of "class" inherent with the rest of my gear. The 950 is kind of the "ugly duckling" or the "black sheep" of the bunch... I'd prefer it to be more of a "statement" component, but I guess you can't win 'em all!

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/19/03 11:52 AM

This topic continues to be debated hotly here and on AVS forum. Check it out.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=212363
Hope the people at outlaw are listening.

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/19/03 01:47 PM

Quote:
... I think that has a classy look. Grey plastic, and fisher price style green buttons don't do it for me.

I'll end up rattle canning this bad boy... watch.

eskendir,

I *know* you didn't write this, you just cross posted it from AVS, but I still have to remark ...

Yet another complaint about how Outlaw equipment looks by someone who's never seen any nor (and this is my beef with the original poster) even spoken with someone who has. As anyone who's seen an Outlaw piece and they'll tell you ... they are black. The face plates are a piece of flat black anodized, machined aluminum. The remained of the cabinets are semi-glass black ... I'm not sure if they're powder coated, or painted tho.

{sigh}

------------------
pat----

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/19/03 04:40 PM

Quote:
This topic continues to be debated hotly here and on AVS forum. Check it out.

I would keep the discussion here, not at the AVS forum. I _know_ the "Big Outlaw" reads these forums, can't say the same for the AVS.

I have poked around AVS, and I got's to say, it seems like a kind of 'urban sprawl' type of place - too crowded, too faceless. I prefer the intimacy of this forum: it seems like a friendlier place.

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/19/03 04:53 PM

My 950 *may* be black, but I don't think of it as black. Compared to my other components that really are black, the 950 is a little more grayish. Might be the surface roughness or the specific finish.

Oh yeah, so I just went through the Outlaws products pages, and also looked at the new ad for the 950 on HTF. They all sure look gray to me!

[This message has been edited by Kevin C Brown (edited January 19, 2003).]

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/19/03 05:11 PM

soundhound: you got a good point there. Still, wouldn't hurt to read what others are saying outside of this dedicated Outlaw forum. Most people here seem to be very satisfied Outlaw customers which I am sure Outlaw knows about. What I want Outlaw to know is the potential customers they have lost because of poor aesthetic of their products. Outlaw can get this kind of feedback by venturing outside of this little forum of ours.

[This message has been edited by eskendir (edited January 19, 2003).]
Posted by: jacket_fan

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/19/03 11:32 PM

Does anyone believe that part of the Outlaw mystique is that of: "astetics be damned, we are about the sound"? Seems to me that the Outlaw newsletters tended to imply that the sound was all that was important.

I was just noticing the Outlaw add in Home theater magazine. Compared to other products, the Outlaw 950 and 770 did look "less elegent". An Adcom amp a few pages prior had a more refined faceplate, come LEDs and a black power button. Would someone buy the Adcom over the 770 because of the appearance? Maybe so.

I think the Aragon amps look cool, but am not willing to pay big bucks for one.

The Denon 3802 stuffed in my rack has a nice finish and nice feeling knobs. (Not that I feel the knobs very often ) The buttons are cheap feeling though. That goes for the Panasonic RP-82 DVD player. The buttons are cheap feeling on it as well.

I think most well informed purchasers place price and performance at top of priorities. Seems to me Outlaw is targeted at the well informed crowd and is trying to hit the niche of low price/high performance. Even so, I say, put some nice aluminum knobs on your products. I like nice feeling knobs.
Posted by: Metal Mike

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/20/03 08:26 AM

I've always been a form follows function guy, so even though I do not care for the logo, it is a matter of degree. When form matches function, especially for little or no increase in cost (price)then design nirvana has been achieved. That silly toy-like Outlaw logo prevents Outlaw from achieving this. But I just close the cabinet and listen to the functional aspects of the deal and the price I paid which far more than compensates for what I choose not to look at.

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/20/03 08:17 PM

It would be nice if the 950/770 were available in the same finish as model 200 but with a new logo. The 200 looks great. All black, no big ugly green button and cheap plastic looking finish here.

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/20/03 08:44 PM

From the pictures I've seen, the finish on the Model 200 is the same as the finish on the 950, 770, 755, and ICBM. The logo is different (I suspect future production runs of the other Outlaw products will adopt the new logo) and there's no power button (similar to the ICBM in that regard), but otherwise it's the same Outlaw face plate as always.

------------------

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/20/03 11:16 PM

I thought all the Outlaw stuff was a sort of semi-gloss powder coat looking black stuff, yes? Is anything they make not black?

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/21/03 12:04 AM

My 950 is a slightly lighter shade of black than the black anodized finish on my Sony gear. It actually looks like a _very_ dark grey to me.

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/21/03 08:51 AM

From the picture I have seen the 200 looks black to me vs the dark grey for the 950/770/750.

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/21/03 09:14 AM

As Pat mentioned earlier, it is difficult to judge by picture alone (especially some of the earlier pictures Outlaw has -- perhaps due to the methods used by their photographer). There was an old thread in the 1050 forum by someone who chose not to get a 1050 because he thought it was blue based on some pictures on Outlaw's site. When a friend bought one, he was startled to discover that it's actually somewhere between dark gray and black (not as pure black as some components in my rack, but really too dark to be quite gray if that makes sense). Looking at JasonA's 200 pictures (particularly the front and front detail pictures), it appears to be the same finish as the Outlaw faceplate I'm looking at right now (a Model 950). The finish on the aluminum can often catch ambient light a lot when photographed and make the face look lighter than it really is.

------------------

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/21/03 10:43 AM

Well if you check this PDF owners manual here it sure looks black. http://pdf.outlawaudio.com/outlaw/docs/200manual.pdf
but here http://andreasen.8m.com/Gargantusub/Gargantusub_amp.html
the finish the same as the old product, dark grey.

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/21/03 11:58 AM

My 1050 is black. It does have a sort of plastic-ish or powder coat sort of specular reflection going on, and it's not 100% black (nothing is, after all) but if I ask anyone who walks up to it what color it is, they'd look at me funny and say "black?" without hesitation.

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/21/03 02:01 PM

Good aesthetic design is not expensive.

To say you must add "a thousand dollars" to look like a Krell or Mark Levinson is ridiculous. No one is intending or even suggesting that you match their choice in materials or form factor - just their design execution.

You give very little credit to Outlaw when on the one hand they can "hang with the best" in terms of performance at 1/10 the cost - but seem "stumped" or "Rain Man-esque" when it comes to designing a product on a budget.

The new Rotel 1066 is (opinion alert!) by far more elegant... Audio Refinement seems to do very well with little - heck, no one will accuse Parasound of being outside the reach of current and future Outlaws customers - and they can build and design the Halo "A" Series.

I think the point of this thread is to assess and evaluate the visual statement that Outlaw is making with the 950. And, IMHO, I think that they can do better - much better. As I said before, and this is a qualified statement, Aesthetics do matter.

If you think they made a concsious decision and executed their overall plan flawlessly, and that the aesthetic look and feel was the height of that perfection, then say so.

This their first pre/pro - so feedback should be very much welcomed.

Imagine if the Rotel 1066 and the Outlaw 950 exterior were switched at birth - Outlaw 950's would come in your choice in Silver or Black and look three times it price. (the killer combo when performance and looks blend together to be three to five times its price.)

And people who owned Rotel 1066's would have bass issues, video bandwith issues, no tuners, pay double the price, and.... tada... have an "ugly duckling".

How could they even compete with Outlaw at this point?

One vote the 950's looks could be dramatically improved!

[This message has been edited by trancethereal (edited January 21, 2003).]

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/21/03 02:23 PM

trancethereal - ditto
While I was reading your post I actually started to imagine the 950 in Rotel 1066 finish and boy, I got goose bumps.
Upgrading the aesthetic look should not add significantly to the overall cost. Come on Outlaw tell us what is holding you from upgrading your look.

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/21/03 05:26 PM

The Outlaw company has worked hard to design and produce a class product in the 950. After stopping production to work on the hiss problem and others they have the lines running with the final edition. Now would be a good time to reintroduce the 950. Reinvent it with a total new face plate look. Combined with the clean clear sound that the final 950 has. A splash of new black paint, volume dial and power button and you have the next generation 950. Customers would be excited and waiting to get their hands on the latest and greatest 950. I know I would. Not for the clones price of 1600 but I would pay 1000 bucks for it.
Posted by: Norman

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/21/03 05:31 PM

My own two bits: I hadn't really thought much about the appearance before this thread was opened. My equipment is hidden from view in a solid cherry cabinet with solid wookd doors (fan-cooled from the back). A smallish upper section is hinged so the control equipment (DVD and 950) can be accessible for use of remotes. Only use the 950 for HT so light levels are usually pretty low when its visible.

Well, now that I've actually looked at it - personally, I like the design overall, with a couple of caveats.

(1) SURE would have been nice if they simply offered black or silver. ALL of my other equipment is silver / aluminium. Might have been a consideration before I built the current cabinet. If brushed aluminium needed to be an upgrade for a few bucks (which I doubt), I would have paid it.

(2) The power button: on the one hand, I like the fact that its the only control thats a different color, makes it easy to locate. On the other hand, the green that they chose has got to be the ugliest color I have ever seen on a control panel.

But what is more important to me is that it seems to be quite solidly built, and the front panel controls are clear and functional even if they won't win any fancy design awards. Rotel is a nicer-looking unit and probably the result of access to professional industrial-design talent which Outlaw seemingly didn't use. As a rough estimate I would pay a 10% premium, not to exceed $100, for superior aesthetics but would never choose aesthetics over quality.

Thing that I personally dislike the most in HT / stereo equipment design is oodles of knobs and buttons (which I rightly or wrongly, for the consumer as opposed to professional market, tend to equate with lower quality electronics) and the 950 is reasonably clean by that standard.

What I still haven't gotten used to with the 950 is that the volume control has no stops, I HATE it.
Posted by: jm99

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/21/03 06:35 PM

My M200's are very black. My 750 looks like a very dark grey next to the M200's and my other gear.

I think the Outlaw equipment (amplifiers) have some understated details. The 750 has that break on the front panel and a milled recess for the button. I don't have my 950 anymore, but I did not think it was inordinately ugly, no more than any other gear in my rack.

Outlaw should consider offering some silver finish to accomodate current trends. I had a silver colored brand x processor until my black one came in. The silver definitely had much higher spouse approval.

Frankly, I think you have to get pretty close to non-Outlaw gear to figure out who made it - the stuff all looks so much alike. That is not problem with Outlaw.

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/21/03 06:59 PM

Yes, The 950/770/750 should all be available in silver.

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/21/03 11:01 PM

Quote:
Yes, The 950/770/750 should all be available in silver.

Silver!? Yuck!

pat----

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/21/03 11:03 PM

I was always fond of titanium with silver accents...

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/22/03 01:09 AM

I guess my feelings are that, sure, the Outlaw stuff could look better, but IMO the topic is severly overstating the 'problem' - the stuff isn't really ugly IMO, just has room for work.

Add that to the secondary nature of cosmetics to me and that's pretty much my stance - I'd prefer a better looking unit, but looks alone won't be a deal maker or breaker. YMMV.

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/22/03 09:30 AM

It is not an overstatement Charlie. If you read the discussion on the same topic on other forums such as AVS you will see that many more see this as a major issue.

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/22/03 09:43 AM

They say opinions are like noses .....
Posted by: tps123

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/22/03 05:36 PM

Call me wierd but I like the original logo better. The green button could be black, but that really doesn't bother me either. Maybe it's a east coast / west coast thing. With the people out west not being bothered by the logo as much as the easterners.

TPS

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/22/03 09:03 PM

This was originally posted by Trancethereal at AVS forum. I posted it here because I find it to be it an excellent take on this issue.

"Wouldn't it be weird if some people's opinion while different, are equally valid.... ooohhh some really transcendental thinking.

yea.. right! Hmmm... I am sure that in a beauty contest, you would be equally right if your choice was Roseanne Barr, or if you think the Pontiac Aztec is design nirvana, or even that short sleeve reversible suits are a designer's dream.

While opinions are just that (and everyone has one), it is undeniable that some seem to fall pretty wide on the bell curve...

Again - we all accept the impeccable performance and technical merits of the Outlaw product and are amazed when the price is factored. So no one is placing aesthetics above performance - because the performance is already there! We are merely suggesting that the looks *could and should* match its technical merits.

One point was already highlighted - which I assumed was obvious - that Outlaw is a direct to consumer product. Given this, looks become a bigger factor - as it is the first experience the user will have *before* making a purchase. There is no tactile experience to further draw the customer in...

Call it superficial - but it does matter and in Outlaw's case could be an "X" factor. It could be the difference between a sale and no sale. Judgments and perceptions can be influenced negatively very quickly.

This discussion seems to divide people into three groups:

Those who think looks have no bearing - so why show the product at all? Those that claim specs only matter - wouldn't need pictures. Can you imagine buying a product that you never saw? I am sure their opinion has little weighting.

Those that put the product behind a smoked entertainment center or tucked away in a media closet - aren't you being a little disingenuous participating in the discussion - cause in the end - if it looked ten times better or worse, it would still be out of view. Again, this opinion would have little weighting.

That leaves the rest - those that desire or prefer a nice looking product or whom a nice looking product has an influence on their decision. (Again - we have already put to rest the decision based on functionality and performance!) These opinions will have greater weighting.

How many buyers or potential buyer fall in the third group? 60-80%??

And from Outlaw, the company's, perspective, if the increase in cost (if even necessary) yields higher sales, then it makes good business sense. No one has even factored what the percentage of "lost" sales are attributed to the product.

While I don't think the logo is bad - I do think the whole look and feel of the product leaves much to be desired.

It seems like there are lot who don't like the looks and little saying they can't imagine the looks could be improved upon.

If I was Outlaw, I would be concerned that my product has generated this much discussion (one way or another) on its look.

As I said before - Outlaw can hang with the best technically on a budget - so why is it so hard to design the aesthetics with the same verve?"

[This message has been edited by eskendir (edited January 22, 2003).]

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/22/03 09:17 PM

Quote:
... While opinions are just that (and everyone has one), it is undeniable that some seem to fall pretty wide on the bell curve ...

Interesting. If you haven't looked, check out my HT page on my web site. You'll notice that my Outlaw Audio equipment is right out in the open, fully visible in both my dedicated HT and my living room listening set up. Since I happen to like the look of Outlaw Audio's equipment and am so strange as to not hide it, I guess I "fall pretty wide of the bell curve", eh?

It's one thing to disagree. It's another to say that anyone who doesn't agree with you is "wide of the bell curve". In fact, that strikes me as rather insulting.

------------------
pat----

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/22/03 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by psklenar:
... It's one thing to disagree. It's another to say that anyone who doesn't agree with you is "wide of the bell curve". In fact, that strikes me as rather insulting.

You know, one comment those complaining about the logo often make is "how come so many are complaining and so few standing up for it?". It dawns on me that perhaps the two or three other people who like the logo (because based on all the complaining there can't be more than 3 or 4 of us who like it) have gotten tired of being told they don't know what looks good and that their opinions are wrong.

pat----

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/22/03 09:29 PM

Well, FWIW I always thought the old logo was a bit cheesy, but I like the new one. Just one data point, and I'm used to being out at the end of the bell curve anyway (GDR)

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/22/03 09:45 PM

Psklenar - Sorry if my comments seemed insulting... that wasn't my intentions.

However, before you get all teary-eyed, please re-read my post. We both agree we like the logo.

I respect your opinion that you *like* the looks. Out of curiosity, do you think they could be improved upon? What would you change differently?

Additionally, I am not sure you are appreciating the additional and unnecessary burden those who DO NOT like the looks have:

"That some how, we seem to put aesthetics over performance." So - if we don't like the way it looks, our opinion becomes discounted?

The thread could be more clinical with a vote option only - but that wouldn't be as much fun!

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/22/03 09:50 PM

Soundhound sez: "All HT equipment should look like this"

6 of the above required for 5.1......

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited January 23, 2003).]
Posted by: dmeister

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 01/22/03 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by soundhound:
Soundhound sez "All HT equipment should look like this"

That thing makes "ugly" look good. Heck, it could even make the 950 look good.
Posted by: Kiwi

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 02/04/03 08:04 PM

Having hooked up a 950 (made in Malaysia), an ICBM (made in Taiwan) and a 775 (made in USA) the most glaringly obvious standout is that none of them cosmetically match !
I could even handle the ugly green button if they all had the same one!
The green bezels on the 950 & ICBM are different and all the faces are different shades of black.
One wonders if an attempt was even made to match these bad boys !

Having said this, I am an audiophile on a budget and appearance is definitely secondary to function. I cannot argue with the performance of the Oulaw gear, but 10 years ago I bought four of the white front Adcom units because Adcom met my price range to performance ratio, AND the white option looks way cool ! the dual red bezels line up, are the same color and brightness, and look very hip to boot.
I just moved the Adcom stuff out to make way for Outlaws gear and I do miss the look !

(They charged $100 extra per piece for white - but many paid it - Food for thought Outlaw) at least I think it was $100 !

[This message has been edited by Kiwi (edited February 04, 2003).]

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 03/14/03 06:06 PM

See how much buzz the Halo line is getting! all over the home theater forums? I am sure at least the Outlaw 770 if not the 950 will perform nearly as good as the Halo line amps, especially in HT application,IMHO. I am waiting for the day the Outlaw products will be available in silver!!!!!!!!
Can u imagine an Outlaw in cool sexy crazy silver finish with blue LED? Hello Outlaw, Big Daddy r u listining? Hello, hello..... any date set for these beautiful optional finishes? Or is it just a wishful thinking? Hello, Outlaw, Big Daddy?????
Posted by: grundrc

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 03/14/03 07:15 PM

As it's generally the squeaky wheel that gets the grease, I thought I'd weigh in here. For about a third to 50% more you can get similar equipment that pretty much meets most of the comments here's beautification standards. For the price point and quality compared to competition, this stuff looks great to me.

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 03/15/03 12:17 PM

Some of you seem to miss the point. This thread is NOT ABOUT THE PERFORMANCE of the Outlaw products. Just about the look. We all know how good they are at their price point. We are just saying it is possible to have a nice look along with the top notch performance.
Posted by: SpOoNmAn

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 03/15/03 02:33 PM

I agree eskendir. A little cosmetic touches, and you now have a whole new beast.

Wether or not people want to admit it, some people shy away from Outlaw because the gear just won't catch as many as eyes as would a peice that looks a little flashier.

I myself went thru this dilemna, and right now, some of my friends are doing just that. One is considering Rotel, not for just it's quality, but because it looks a lot better on a rack.

Noone can deny that a sharper looking product wouldnt sell better. Great looks WITH Outlaws legendary performance? There'd be no competition

------------------
Play it LoUd!!

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 03/15/03 03:08 PM

One guy who bought three Outlaw components was complaing because they don't even match - that is a VERY valid issue IMO.
Posted by: Alex Prosak

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 03/15/03 03:10 PM

I agree that their looks aren't the greatest. However, I bit the bullent and recently ordered a 950/7100 combo for the performance and value I knew I would be getting.

In person, I think the components look A LOT better than in any of the photos I've seen on the web or in magazines. Their looks still aren't world beating but I'm happy with them.

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 03/15/03 03:22 PM

SpOoNmAn , that is exactly my point. Thanks

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 03/15/03 03:37 PM

Allow me to take this topic a little further....

I do agree that the components, in person, look 100 times better then in any photo. I unwrapped my 200's and was impressed. I like the look of the Outlaw gear, its a rugged, no nonsense look. And while I would like flashier gear, it does appeal to me

Ive always had Pioneer Elite so I guess I'm to blame. Another point I'd like to make...

I believe that Outlaw is catering to a different kind of audiophile. The kind that does their homework on equipment and such. And they rely on that person being content with Outlaws performance, and swaying them with that alone.

So in the end, this tactic (if its what they did) has worked time and time again. I sit here, telling you all that I would love flashier gear, but will I stop buying Outlaw? Hell No

I hate to mention this, but how about offering 2 versions of the same unit? The current look, and a more appealing one? For an obvious price difference ofcourse. I know which one I'd snatch up Sorry for the rant.

------------------
Play it LoUd!!

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 03/15/03 04:22 PM

That's already the tactic - the flashier unit is called the AT P-2000 IIRC....

Posted by: AGAssarsson

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 03/15/03 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SpOoNmAn:
I like the look of the Outlaw gear, its a rugged, no nonsense look. And while I would like flashier gear, it does appeal to me

Write on Brother...

The Outlaw design philosophy is for the most part very representative of what it does... "Form follows function", and "Less is More" are the architectural descriptions of this aesthetic.

The design (in aggregate) is very elegant, in the same way that aircraft instrumentation or a divers watch has no spare decoration (or flashiness); it is all about the business of doing what it is supposed to do, as precisely and as simply as possible. Pilots, Divers and Audiophiles…

That being said, the industrial designers at Outlaw have made some choices that I believe are more a result of personal taste (unique designs that were developed early in the companies history) which are not consistent with their overall design philosophy. These include the Outlaw logo and green plastic power buttons, etc…

The Volume Knob on the 950 does not disturb me as much as it seems to affect others, but it too could be refined, possibly by adding weight. I have always liked the tactile feel of viscous damped controls, such as the throttle control on aircraft. Engine Speed (which affects thrust), like Volume, is something that is done with purpose, and should not be so delicate that it could be mistakenly altered, or over corrected.

My admiration for Outlaw and their designers is without reservation. They have done a great job. As a young company, it will refine its identity as time moves on. These small design wanderings are part of that maturation process. It could be done better, and given the talent demonstrated by Outlaw, I am confident it will.

The logo and plastic green button stuff does make me wish I was in the room when the "GO or NO GO" design decision was made, but it could have been much worse. It could have been flashy.

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 03/15/03 06:10 PM

Very well said indeed AGAssarsson. I think we've covered all the bases within our last few posts, LOL.

Time will tell where they go from here, and unfortunately, I hate waiting. But who doesn't?

Like most things, I'm sure whatever turns up will be well worth the wait.

------------------
Play it LoUd!!

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 03/15/03 08:20 PM

For those of you who have the blessing of your significant other two bring this beast home, well all I can say is, I envy you! I for one who have to wait for a better looking design or till I visit the divorce court!!
Posted by: Kiwi

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 03/16/03 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by charlie:
One guy who bought three Outlaw components was complaing because they don't even match - that is a VERY valid issue IMO.

Charlie - I am that guy, and I also have one of those spouses who hate all those boxes!
Although Outlaw has kept the prices of their gear down by outsourcing to Malaysia, Taiwan etc. I really think it would have been prudent to have all the products match cosmetically. How difficult would it have been to say "This is the Power button we wish you to use"!
I only have three products, but imagine a rack full of Outlaw with nine green buttons of differing flavors !!!!

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 03/16/03 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kiwi:

I only have three products, but imagine a rack full of Outlaw with nine green buttons of differing flavors !!!![/B]

Kiwi, You can always say you are a collector of Outlaw products.

[This message has been edited by eskendir (edited March 16, 2003).]

Posted by: Don Andres

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 03/18/03 04:03 PM

Here's a different spin on this: the 950 design reminds me of the HiFi gear made by Braun (yep, that's the makers of electric razors, alarm clocks etc.)in the 80's in Germany. Very similar, down to the green power button and the black face that can be described as black as the black levels of some plasma displays :-)
Anyways, Braun equipment was rated highly at the time and definitely not cheap and those components have become collectibles. So may be the 950 actually has a very expensive retro-style look that will make them collectibles in the future too!

Anyway, I don't think the 950's design is very attractive but I can live with it. It sounds pretty good to me and offers the features I want. May be one of these days I'll take a permanent marker and black out that power button . . . :-)

Unfortunately I haven't figured out how to include pictures in my post so you could see for yourself.

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 03/18/03 08:08 PM

How Outlaw came to choose those green power button is what everybody wants to know!

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 03/19/03 12:09 AM

Green = GO

------------------
The Soundhound Theater

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 03/19/03 02:09 AM

Ahhh, magic marker! I tried cutting a piece of electrical tape out, but never looked that great.

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 03/19/03 08:42 AM

Does it really cost more than $100-$150 for both the 950 and 770 to have a decent(not flashy)finish, say like the clone Sherbourn? Does anybody have a thourgh knowledge in production that can shed some light here pls.
Posted by: TANGO

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 03/26/03 03:42 PM

Just recieved my 950/7100 a week and a half ago and was aware of the looks criticisms before buying. As an ex-Mcintosh owner-- what a feast for the eyes!!-- I wasn't sure how my eyes would respond to this visual change. My eyes , when asked didn't mind it one bit (thanks eyes). After HEARING this new combo my ears thanked my eyes for their support. However, I was a tad bit worried when a friend of mine who is a current Mac owner would have a different opinion when he came over to see/hear the new system. Boy are both my eyes and ears happy-- he loved the sound and felt that it looked fine although very un-Macish. So now I know it's not just me.

By the way, both my nose and mouth informed me that they agreed with the ears , were happy that the eyes threw in their support and knew before the friend arrived that he would approve and were miffed that their opinion was unasked for.

And for those who read this, we (the above parts) ARE in therapy.

LOVE MY OUTLAW.

------------------

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 03/26/03 03:43 PM

Just recieved my 950/7100 a week and a half ago and was aware of the looks criticisms before buying. As an ex-Mcintosh owner-- what a feast for the eyes!!-- I wasn't sure how my eyes would respond to this visual change. My eyes , when asked didn't mind it one bit (thanks eyes). After HEARING this new combo my ears thanked my eyes for their support. However, I was a tad bit worried when a friend of mine who is a current Mac owner would have a different opinion when he came over to see/hear the new system. Boy are both my eyes and ears happy-- he loved the sound and felt that it looked fine although very un-Macish. So now I know it's not just me.

By the way, both my nose and mouth informed me that they agreed with the ears , were happy that the eyes threw in their support and knew before the friend arrived that he would approve and were miffed that their opinion was unasked for.

And for those who read this, we (the above parts) ARE in therapy.

LOVE MY OUTLAW.

------------------
Posted by: Unferth

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 03/26/03 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TANGO:

Isn't the smell that new equipment leaves in the room for a few days nice?

I care very little about aesthetics.. the 950 could have had jagged edges and been painted orange with pink highlights... or even for that matter just not had a case, and I still would have bought it for the performance......

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 03/26/03 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Unferth:

I care very little about aesthetics.. the 950 could have had jagged edges and been painted orange with pink highlights... or even for that matter just not had a case, and I still would have bought it for the performance......[/B]

Wish I had your kind of appetite for the Outlaw aesthetics!

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 03/27/03 12:39 AM

“orange with pink highlights” Eek! two of my detested colors! On that my can of Krylon would come out!

“and was aware of the looks criticisms before buying” My eyes asked your eyes and agree. I was very worried about this one before receiving shipment, and much preferred more machined silver finishes.
As I posted once before (luck of the draw) I ended up with black faceplates across the board at the current time. Which I have grown to love, and was very displeased to only be able to purchase a ‘silver’ STB, which screwed up the whole effect. (it went back for now….decorating issue solved).

Currently my ‘rig’ spread on 6 racks (3 and 3) impresses and amazes the lay ears/eyes that come by ceaselessly. (and these lay people are always asking……”How, much did you spend on that!”) So I’d say the Outlaw is a perfect, as we say here, 10 footer). And it takes a back seat (as it should in my book) to the display which is stationed just above.

I stamped my foot on the volume knob here, and worried without (admitting it) about the looks. I was afraid if I brought up looks among audiophiles they’d tell me to go paint my nails or something!
I’m playing with these comments really, - because I know how much you (we all) admire machining, bulk, heft, design, weight, substance, shape, form, and quality.

For me it just became a non-issue in its physical reality once in the room.
Would be happy if Outlaw charges more to source higher-end cosmetics (for those it offends and to please a larger consumer base). If it helps to share the joy, I'm for it.

It was just better in person than I expected - For me, - the ears have it. (Tango is there room in therapy for one more?)

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 03/27/03 07:38 AM

This thread is not about how the Outlaw sounds or performs but rather how it looks.

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 03/27/03 11:41 AM

In that case, not withstanding sound and performance, the equipment looks great to me, green buttons and all.

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 03/27/03 12:03 PM

P”oligize for dragging sound in, but thought Tango’s post was funny and reflected almost exactly my own purchasing experience. When I consider a buy, - it’s a ‘collection of factors’ as balanced against each other, which shall tip the scale towards a demo or not.

“I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree?”
A) It is an impossible task to please everyone, but is preferable to try to please the majority. (unless I’m in the minority. )
B) I thought the facade would be an issue for me pre purchase, this concern evaporated post purchase.
C) I am not against any cosmetic changes the Outlaws wish to apply, if prospective owners are consensual that a probable price bracket incremental increase would be an acceptable tradeoff, adding desired value to the purchase.

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 03/27/03 12:11 PM

Always possible to make two different finishes and let the consumers choose which they want. Example Rotel, Anthem et al. finishes available, black and silver. How about such a choice of finishes with Outlaw?

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 03/27/03 12:35 PM

Eskendir, If I know Outlaw they will respond (they do watch) although the wheels of production grind agonizingly slow. Maybe your suggestion of two finish choices or something more in line with the majority popularly rated ‘type’ look. (Although I would hate to have to figure out what that is). At Outlaw your never just spitting in the wind. From my prior contacts with them I think they are always listening and pondering.
Good luck!

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 03/27/03 01:06 PM

Smart Little Lena,

Thank you, I do hope that Outlaw is watching!
Posted by: Unferth

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 03/27/03 01:52 PM

....something simple that may help overall appearance would be a flatter volume knob.. maybe something similar to the way the Sunfire has a dial....

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 03/27/03 03:38 PM

A silver finish option would be nice.
Posted by: minuteman

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 03/27/03 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by grundrc:
In that case, not withstanding sound and performance, the equipment looks great to me, green buttons and all.

I agree. Plus I really don't know how anyone can say the AT faceplate looks better. Nonsense. This business about the Outlaw aesthetics is a little nuts.

[This message has been edited by minuteman (edited March 27, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by minuteman (edited March 28, 2003).]

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 03/28/03 12:34 AM

Gots to remember: there are as many opinions about this as, well, ... owners of 950s!

I for one, would like an improved, higher "class" look. But it obviously didn't stop me from buying one...

Heck, all I think it would take is a black power button, the new Outlaw logo (hee, hee), and a black *metal* volume knob. The gray "gun-metal" finish is OK by me.

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 03/28/03 07:53 AM

I second that Kevin. At the very least, Outlaw should change that green power button and of course the logo.

[This message has been edited by eskendir (edited March 28, 2003).]

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 03/28/03 11:57 AM

I can even handle the green button - the other stuff I'm with Kevin.

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 03/31/03 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Smart Little Lena:
“orange with pink highlights” Eek! two of my detested colors! On that my can of Krylon would come out!

“and was aware of the looks criticisms before buying” My eyes asked your eyes and agree. I was very worried about this one before receiving shipment, and much preferred more machined silver finishes.
As I posted once before (luck of the draw) I ended up with black faceplates across the board at the current time. Which I have grown to love, and was very displeased to only be able to purchase a ‘silver’ STB, which screwed up the whole effect. (it went back for now….decorating issue solved).

Currently my ‘rig’ spread on 6 racks (3 and 3) impresses and amazes the lay ears/eyes that come by ceaselessly. (and these lay people are always asking……”How, much did you spend on that!”) So I’d say the Outlaw is a perfect, as we say here, 10 footer). And it takes a back seat (as it should in my book) to the display which is stationed just above.

I stamped my foot on the volume knob here, and worried without (admitting it) about the looks. I was afraid if I brought up looks among audiophiles they’d tell me to go paint my nails or something!
I’m playing with these comments really, - because I know how much you (we all) admire machining, bulk, heft, design, weight, substance, shape, form, and quality.

For me it just became a non-issue in its physical reality once in the room.
Would be happy if Outlaw charges more to source higher-end cosmetics (for those it offends and to please a larger consumer base). If it helps to share the joy, I'm for it.

It was just better in person than I expected - For me, - the ears have it. (Tango is there room in therapy for one more?)

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 03/31/03 03:34 PM

Lena, there is ALWAYS room for more in therapy.

------------------
Posted by: Jed M

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 03/31/03 04:32 PM

I have never seen a piece of equipment or a car, or a piece of furniture that I was 100% in love with, look wise. That being said I definitely think the Outlaw could be a little classier looking. I don't care at all, since I own one, but it is weird that my parents 300 dollar Pioneer 711 looks ten times nicer than the Outlaw.

On the other hand I used to own a silver receiver and now that I have the 950 I would never go back to silver since it really stuck out way too much. Don't get me wrong I see the Silver Anthem (not a big fan of the polka dotted black and silver Rotel) and I drool, but if I put it in my rack it just sticks out like a sore thumb.

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 03/31/03 07:09 PM

I guess official response from Outlaw to this issue, which has generated huge response, is out of the question. I am accustomed to AV123's of Rocket Loudspeakers incredible response to feedback and I was expecting the same from Outlaw. Outlaw, I might add, has been quick to respond to technical problems but I can't help thinking it's might have been b/c such issues are a definite product killer. Or is it really because the company is all about performance, nothing but performance? If they have been 100% customer oriented company they would have responded to whatever suggestion any of us might have. Still Outlaw has a great CS but it is not in the same league as AV123, Unfortunately.

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 03/31/03 08:46 PM

Don't mean any disrespect to you, as your heart and soul is clearly in this issue. However, when you consider that some responses in this thread indicate they are satisfied with the looks and that you make up quite a few of the other responses, I would hardly call the response here to be overwhelming compared to the total population of 950 owners; and warranting of response from the Outlaws. I don't disagree with you that the looks can be improved upon. But, I keep coming back to the Outlaw business model: Bare bones, high performance and great value direct from the manufacturer. We all know the Sherbourne and AT clones are sonically the same prepros and they arguably look better than the 950. But, I for one do not want to pay what they want for that look and the right to buy from my friendly neighborhood HT store, who will not give me near the service over the long haul that the Outlaws have so far. Also, don't think for a minute that Peter Tribeman does not want there to be a clear differentiation between the AT and 950. He has the best of all worlds. He gets a decent profit on the 950s on a direct basis and then gets a little more profit on the ATs because people think the look means higher quality and that they can get better service from their local AT dealer. He's a genius. We should all be able to play both ends so well. Sorry, if it comes down to a black button and $500-700, I think I'll keep the money.

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 03/31/03 10:01 PM

Quote:
[B] that you make up quite a few of the other responses, I would hardly call the response here to be overwhelming compared to the total population of 950 owners; /B]

FYI grundrc, out of the 122 replies so far on this thread mine don't even make 15 of them. And this thread got the most response than any other topic on 950 feedback. Also you can't assume the majority of Outlaw owners wouldn't be posting their thought b/c the majority of them probably don't even browse the Outlaw forum for all we know.

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 04/01/03 09:35 AM

Sorry eskendir, though you are right about the total # of posts, you were personally at 30 before your last post. I think that is just short of 25%, if my math is right. Also, if you take out everyone's duplicate posts, there were 28 who were happy with the way the 950 looked, 8 who seemed, like yourself, clearly unhappy and another 5, who were happy, but would pay some nominal amount for improvements.

I don't totally disagree with your comments about the total number of Outlaws posting to this thread, though I'd be hard pressed not to believe that most Outlaw purchasers don't utilize the Forum fairly regularly. It's the nature of the kind of people who would spend this kind of money over the internet. Regardless, I would think those who do frequent the forum and choose not to look at this thread do so because they really don't care about the issue. I think I'll just stand by the rationale in my previous post with respect to the business models Tribeman has for Outlaw and AT and the results in this thread which would indicate that 80% of the people are happy with the esthetics, with a small % of those saying they would pay slightly more for some improvements.

Personally, I hope they leave the business model just as it is. It gives us all the opportunity to get some great gear at unbelievable prices from people who know what customer service is all about. I like that. And, I like the minimalist-retro look.

And, I respect your right to not like it. I just don't agree that the numbers would dictate that Outlaw respond to this thread.

Ron

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 04/01/03 09:48 AM

Duly noted, grundrc.

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 04/13/03 12:19 PM

I wish Outlaw will do something like this. Involve us in the design process, that is.
Check this out! Really, really, really cool!!! Never expexted this from a AV company.

http://forum.av123.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=349&perpage=15&pagenumber=1
Posted by: JackieD

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 04/13/03 03:46 PM

I think to remodel the Outlaw look ALA Pioneer would be a shame. I remember a famous name in Audio from yesteryear, called Dynaco, which made some truly homely looking amps that sonically were known as the poor man's McIntosh. The look is part of their legend. Hopefully, Outlaw will not be persuaded to adopt the slick looks being suggested, and keep it funky(not always a bad word). Keep up the good work Outlaw, and someday your look may be legendary too.
Posted by: Alex Prosak

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 04/13/03 07:58 PM

Quote:
I guess official response from Outlaw to this issue, which has generated huge response, is out of the question. I am accustomed to AV123's of Rocket Loudspeakers incredible response to feedback and I was expecting the same from Outlaw. Outlaw, I might add, has been quick to respond to technical problems but I can't help thinking it's might have been b/c such issues are a definite product killer. Or is it really because the company is all about performance, nothing but performance? If they have been 100% customer oriented company they would have responded to whatever suggestion any of us might have. Still Outlaw has a great CS but it is not in the same league as AV123, Unfortunately.

Outlaw and AV123 certainly operate differently when it comes to CS. Mark is very forthright with his companies intentions and considers all the input he receives. I think some of what Mark has said has created problems for himself in being constantly hounded by enthusiasts of his products.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I read somewhere that Outlaw once polled owners about wanting to know what future products will be well in advance of release or at/near release time. They responded that they would rather find out closer to release time. I think the initial hiss problems with the 950 led to Outlaw being tight lipped about product releases too. I'm very happy with their response to the LFE problem that was discovered.

Personally, I REALLY appreciate Mark's business model and his willingness to discuss future products and business in general. I'm very happy with my Outlaw and Rocket gear.

Looking forward to the new SVS PB-2+ too.
Posted by: Digital

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 04/16/03 02:48 AM

I'm gonna throw in my 2 cents. Most buyers who would have bought the 950 but decided against it based on looks are not browsing this forum. On the other hand, most buyers who looked past or even like the 950's looks and purchased one are much more likely to frequent and post their thoughts here.

I for one would buy the 950 in a heartbeat if it looked better (silver perhaps?). It might seem strange to some, but the appearance of audio gear like this is very important to me. Of course it isn't as important as performance, but that's why I'm willing to pay more to get equal or better performance and great looks. I bet there are a lot of people out there who feel the same way but don't post here because they either
a)Never come to this forum.
b)Are happy with whatever other pre/pro they purchased instead.

I had no interest to post here even though I would buy a 950 if it looked better. The only reason I did so was because grundrc started keeping a tally of votes.

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 04/16/03 01:18 PM

Digital,
You make good points. (As has eskendir) Clearly, Outlaw needs to look at the opportunity costs of continuing with the current design versus a change. If changing the design creates additional costs and takes them to a level they feel jeopardizes their business model, costing sales, they would be making an error in changing the design. However, as I have looked at this from a business standpoint in all of my comments, and, if you look at other forums, clearly there are sales being lost that may be captured by sprucing up their looks. Whether there are enough to warrant changes, I don't know. They have to make that call.

By the way, I'm not keeping score. That's for Outlaw to do. I was just pointing out that "huge response" was not what it was being purported to be.

Ron

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 04/16/03 03:20 PM

Ron, don't you think it is possible to offer a different finish (say silver) without making any changes(well, maybe the logo)to the current lineup? Say, like Anthem, B&K, Rotel et al... That way they don't risk of losing the current happy customers and gain the lost sales from those potential customers who consider looks a factor when we make our AV gear buying decision. For the record, I think all Outlaw products are first class when it comes to sonic performance at their price point. Can't be beat!!! But I have a significant other and she would not let me bring that beast 770 home. Her exact word, and I quote "that toy looking thing" She rather have me spend more money on a gear that looks good. So I have to find a product that has both, performance for me, and a look for my wife, at a fair price. So the hunting goes on.....

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 04/16/03 04:41 PM

eskendir,
Yes to your question. Though, I'm not too crazy about silver. Too trendy. But, remember, I'm one of the ones that likes the current esthetics (bad taste...different strokes for different folks). Looks like you have to either pay more for the same performance or compromise performance to get the looks you want. One solution for you is to put it all behind a cabinet and use an IR infrared kit. Works like a charm. By the way, my wife doesn't like the looks of any HT equipment, regardless of how spiffy it is.

I wouldn't lose hope on Outlaw. I'm sure they are aware of the lost sales and will do something if it can be done without starting to change the business model (There I go again).

Ron

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 04/16/03 06:22 PM

Outlaw has asked for user input in the past. Heck, the contest that they used to give away a free 950 was a poll of whether or not we wanted "surround modes" like Hall and Stadium -- the ones that look great in the feature list at Best Buy but that the typical Outlaw user just skips over on his way to other things. It was a risky choice because it is a noticeable gap in the laundry list of features, but the majority of the people who responded said "no" and Outlaw listened.

Outlaw was very eager to get the word out about the 950 -- and they paid the price in forums between fall 2001 and spring 2002. As a result, they have chosen to keep quiet about future products until much closer to the time they are ready to ship. The New Product Suggestions forum is a handy place for folks like us to toss out ideas -- like David Olstein's wishlist (and a mighty fine list, I might add).

When it comes to looks, there's one problem. You can never please everyone. I grew up surrounded by artists and work with architects and interior designers every day, and one thing that I figured out long ago is that one person's masterpiece is another person's embarrassment. Based on the quantity of feedback that Outlaw has had over the last couple years on the appearance of their gear, I agree that they need to make sure aesthetics are kept in mind for future products. They have certainly made some progress since the 1050 (in my humble opinion, of course -- the 950 and the hibernating IR1000 are cleaner, less cluttered designs than the 1050's assortment of round and rectangular buttons and the pinstripe). I think it would be sort of cool to see a style change at some point, where they migrate to a less spartan style. Offering everything in silver as an option feels like more of a band-aid, although that may be my lack of enthusiasm for silver faceplates speaking. Maybe it's an effective band-aid.

Eskendir -- I wish you the best on your search. If all else fails, you could always conceal the 770 (behind a nice wood panel perhaps, with some nice natural ventilation available to keep it cool) and have something even better than a pretty amp: an unseen amp.

------------------

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 04/16/03 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
If all else fails, you could always conceal the 770 (behind a nice wood panel perhaps, with some nice natural ventilation available to keep it cool) and have something even better than a pretty amp: an unseen amp.

Now that is original gonk! An unseen amp!!! Why didn't I think of that?
Posted by: JT

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 04/18/03 09:42 AM

I don't understand why a Logo bothers you so much! Cover it up if it bothers you that much or buy the company and make you're own logo. If this is the only complaint, you obviously have a fine piece of equipment, not a piece of art. Get over it...
Posted by: Dane

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 04/18/03 07:22 PM

I've recently received my new 950 and 770, and I think it all looks good. Granted, some black boxes look better than others, but I still think that big amp & pre look really good.
Posted by: Dan Hitchman

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 04/23/03 07:33 PM

The main thing I find annoying with the looks of the Model 950 are the buttons. They are very loose, flimsy, wobbly feeling. They should have a much more positive, solid feel like a Lexicon or even a Denon.

Quality buttons and switches don't cost that much, but add a lot to the overall build quality fit 'n' finish aspect, and they last a lot longer too. I've been in some cars where I'm sure the overall quality was solid, but the handles, dials, switches and the like were of very flimsy, thin plastic. That little detail lowered my opinion of those cars compared to others. It said to me that the attention to detail just wasn't as "there." Strange how the consumer mind works, but it's usually more true than not.

I do like the newly designed green button that they used on the new slim line amp.

Dan

[This message has been edited by Dan Hitchman (edited April 23, 2003).]

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 04/24/03 10:37 AM

Eskendir, grundrc- you don't know how lucky you are to have wives with equipment ideas like yours! Mine only likes FREE equipment, looks aren't even on the radar screen (and we all know what you get with FREE equipment).

However I really like what Outlaw did to the INSIDE. Have my 950/7100 combo for about a month-- and didn't realize it came with 680 CD's. That's my collection and I say new because I NEVER heard them sound this way before. AWESOME!!!

------------------

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 04/25/03 09:58 PM

TANGO,
If my wife had any idea what I have invested in A/V equipment, I'd be in a heap of trouble.
Ron

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 04/28/03 10:12 AM

GRUNDRC- got around the wife/money problem with the ol' "bait and switch" tactic- took her to a few local audio stores (after I decided to go with Outlaw) and showed what I "wanted" - which was equipment with VERY HIGH PRICE TAGS. She gave all of it a thumbs down, causing my immediate hang-dog expression, tears, hair pulling and the dreaded gnashing of teeth. Then I showed her Outlaw, and ,sice she is really a sweet, kind-hearted person, gave me the O.K. for this magnificently inexpensive system. She even accused me of "thoughtful bargain shopping" (which was a first in thirty years of marrage). It worked, and I never have to hide the price- clever huh? Oh, she also informed me that buying this new e3quipment would still be a waste of money since, she assured me, she wouldn't "hear any sonic differences". The 950/7100 arrived, and when set up she graciously informed me that THERE WAS A VERY NOTICABLE SONIC DIFFERENCE . Sure made me feel GOOD .

Hope that this "method" can work for others .

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 04/28/03 10:39 AM

TAngo,
You sly fox.

Why do I feel, that at some point, there will be retribution to pay.

Enjoy your system!

Ron

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 04/30/03 04:01 PM

Quote:
TAngo,
You sly fox.

Why do I feel, that at some point, there will be retribution to pay.

Enjoy your system!

Ron

Ron, just who's the "sly-fox"?

Retribution is SO right-- one new kayak (and not a cheap-o model,either) coming up for the little lady (plus accessories, of course:rolleyes Total price tag: the cost of a certain person's new audio equipment! I ask you, is this FAIR???
Posted by: Q-man

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 05/01/03 11:23 AM

eskendir- I don't own any Outlaw equipment yet. So how is the logo attached? Is it glued on? If so automotive people remove unwanted dealer logos and such with a hairdyer to warm up the glue and dental floss to "cut" them off with and clean up the rest of the glue with Goof Off.
Posted by: rsaavedr

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 05/02/03 01:21 PM

Well my two cents, I just have an ICBM, and I don't mind the finish and the logo at all. What I had a little trouble with was the brightness of the green led, way too bright. I have the ICBM in the upper shelf of my TV stand, and I have it placed on top of my sony DVD player, the lower shelf has my receiver. When watching a movie there had always been this nice dim cluster of little stars shinning from below the TV, but once the ICBM had joined the family, its little green led stood out massively like a SUPER NOVA out of the deep darkness ;-). I actually covered the led with a little circular dark sticker in which I had punched a little whole, so that the brighness now blends well with the brightness of the rest of the led cluster.

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 05/02/03 02:24 PM

Q-man: The logo on the Outlaw gear is silk-screened on.

------------------
Posted by: Jed M

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 05/04/03 02:30 PM

Rsaavedr, I totally agree with you on that one. I don't mind the enormous green button, but when the lights are off and there is two things in your vision, the tv and the green outlaw light, it can be annoying. I personally don't think they should make it light up for that reason. That is a perfect example of function over cosmetics. Like I said earlier, I really don't care at all what it looks like but when it interferes with the original intent (to enjoy a movie) then it becomes an issue of functionality.
Posted by: MixFixJ

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 05/05/03 03:16 PM

Y'all crack me up!
I listen with my ears and not my eyes,nor mouth. If you have a 'real' problem with the aesthetics, then put the gear in a well- ventilated closet.
As Always,
Mix

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 05/05/03 05:29 PM

eskendir,
Are you out there? If you read the latest Outlaw newsletter, I think you struck a nerve.
Ron

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 05/05/03 06:54 PM

Ron, yes I am out here. Yes I've read the recent newsletter, but I am not seeing the same thing you are seeing. Enlighten me!
Posted by: Garrett Adams

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 05/05/03 09:02 PM

He's probably referring to the slight logo change that occurred recently. I have the 950/7100 combo and until I read the newsletter I wasn't aware of the change. Slipped right by me. I went and I looked at the logo on my 7100 and, as mentioned, it has been cleaned up with a nicer (IMO) typeface and graphic.

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 05/05/03 10:39 PM

eskendir,
Under Editorial Outlaw they spend four paragraphs talking about design and how different people see things different ways and that the Outlaw design is by design, so to speak. In essence justifying why their approach is the way it is. But, basically they are saying they are listening and in the last paragraph allude to a "new and exciting design direction for Outlaw when we preview the RR2150". Even if I and many others like the current design, I believe you got their attention. Cudos to you.
Ron

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 05/05/03 11:42 PM

Thanks Ron, kudos to all of us!!! Now let's work to have the green button replaced and then for a jet black or a silver face plate?

Quote from Outlaw Editorial "Yes, outward appearance is an important factor in a product's overall appeal, but when you get right down to it, sound and value have greater weight in the planning process."

From sonic performance of the Outlaw (at it's price point) it is easy to see where all the attention has been devoted and I am not arguing about the outcome. Outlaw has a well received, excellent products but with so so industrial look IMHO. I am just saying with a high end look/finish it is possible to have our cake and eat it too.

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 05/06/03 05:44 PM

I had to laugh today when I visited here and found that this thread was still near the top of most discused topics. Really, this thing has taken on a life of its own. I can't believe that it was almost four months ago that I last commented on the appearence of the 950. It's like the Frankenstein original movie, when the lighting bolt hits the tower and the voltage enters the monster, and it begins to move and Doctor Frankenstein yells, "ITS ALIVE!" Will it finally take a angry mob to kill this one too.
Posted by: Oso

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 05/08/03 02:23 AM

I have owned the 1050 for two years now and the appearence of this piece is not sittng next to my Pioneer Elite LD/DVD is not what I would like it to be. When I bring someone over to hear the setup, and they see the Outlaw on the rack, they say "THAT is what you are recommending I buy". One Wife remarked" You want us to put that UGLY thing in your stereo rack. I say "Yes, very much so". Then I tell them to pick a DVD, sit them in main chair, turn down the light, hand them the remote for volume control, and say play as you like. Not one person leaves with out a smile saying "WOW" and notone says anothor thing about the looks. And the wife now has a better looking stereo rack with frosted glass doors that are closed most of the time.

First set up:
JVC receiver
BIC speakers
Pioneer LD

Second set up:
Sony receiver
BIC speakers
Pioneer LD
Sony DVD

Gave the JVC to an ex-girlfriend (good rittens to both). Sold the Sony to buy the 1050 (Uncle was upset with me because he wants the 1050, but wife will not let him with having the Sony).

Hear stuff in movies never hear before

At X-mas got DefTech BP 2000 fronts, C/L/R 3000 center, BP 30 side surrounds, and BPVX for rear surrounds and Pioneer 45 DVD/SACD/plus..

Some of my friend that have been around to see my HT progress to it curret stage are impressed with the way the 1050 handles a recent speaker upgrade. They can not believe that the 1050 can handle these speakers. And I'm still hearing stuff in the movies that I have never heard before. Next upgrade is to 950/770 or maybe 950 with seven 200's.

Would I buy a better looking model if Outlaw offered at a small increase in price,YES.
Will I buy or recommend anything other then Outlaw to friends and family asking my advice, NO, NO, and NO.

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 05/08/03 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oso:
. When I bring someone over to hear the setup, and they see the Outlaw on the rack, they say "THAT is what you are recommending I buy". One Wife remarked" You want us to put that UGLY thing in your stereo rack. I say "Yes, very much so". Then I tell them to pick a DVD, sit them in main chair, turn down the light, hand them the remote for volume control, and say play as you like. Not one person leaves with out a smile saying "WOW" and notone says anothor thing about the looks.

The trick is to get the Outlaw past the wife into the living room and on the stereo rack! I have been trying unsuccessfully for months now.
Posted by: MCH

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 05/08/03 12:10 PM

I think the Outlaw equipment has an air of substance. My dog has not yet complained about the looks. But he does seem to get annoyed at times when I play something loud.
Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder.

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 05/08/03 01:48 PM

Beauty! What beauty?
Posted by: blkngld

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 05/09/03 12:29 AM

Well I have to say that I am one of the ones that was put off by the logo. I'm not going to pay an extra 500 for a better look, but an extra 50 put into better parts and cosmetics on the faceplate would probably make a lot more deals than it breaks.
Posted by: Jason J

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 05/09/03 01:36 PM

Ok, this thread is way out of control. So, here's my contribution.

Maybe Outlaw could get this company to make some panels for their equipment. Here's their website:

www.funklogic.com

Imagine it. Different buttons for your Outlaw product that say; "Big", "Suck", "Huge", "Surround Me!", or something along those lines. Or, how about fake knobs for those visits from people who just know your system could do better. Turn a knob, watch the reaction!

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 05/12/03 10:42 PM

He he.....just wanted to bump this thread up to the top for no particular reason...........

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 05/12/03 11:07 PM

On a more series note soundhound, I was reading a few posts on the AVS forum that accused Outlaw owners hiding in their hideout. It said there are far fewer post regarding Outlaw products and was wondering if Outlaw has fallen out of favor. Based on my experience here, I say NOT!! But then again I kept wondering, could this mean Outlaw is not attracting any new customers?
Posted by: Alejate

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 05/13/03 12:50 AM

I can't believe this topic is up to 5 pages long. I keep my 950/770 in a Studio Tech Ultra cabinet, the one with the black screened door and side panels. Never have to look at any of my equipment in this cabinet, just see shimmering lights from the displays through the door. I spend my time enjoying the sound this combo is capable of producing, never gave it a thought what the equipment looks like.

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 05/13/03 01:47 AM

Ahem.....sorry folks for turning over this "rock". looks like there's still a lot of unsavory critters lurking....

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 05/13/03 04:24 PM

Sal right……SH, I have a nightclub act for you.
Loc: The Tropicana Club in Manhattan. See: “I Love Lucy” skits
Stage black with silhouette of Indian woman spotlighted against a full moon.

Ye who love a Outlaws legend, Love the ballads of a prepro,
Speak in tones so clear and lifelike, Scarcely can the ear distinguish
Whether they are (real or Memorex) Listen to this Owners Legend,
To this (Song of Hiawatha’s) prepro!

By the shores of Gitche Gumee, By the shining Big-Sound-Water,
Stood the wigwam of SLL, (Daughter of the Moon), SLL .
Dark behind her rose “Home Theater Forum” Rose the black and gloomy “AVS”,
Bright before her beat the 950 hideout, Beat the clear and sunny 950 hideout
Beat the shining audio Big-Sound-Water. And black box with forest green glow.

All together to the council! Down the Lan’s, o'er the dialup,
Came the Rotels and the Anthens, Came the warriors of the brands
All the owners drawn together And they talked there on the pages,
With their weapons and their war-gear, Wildly glaring at each other;
In their faces stern defiance, (I paid more) and In their hearts (mine is best).

But 950, the Mighty, reminded its owners in compassion,
Leave their wrath and wrangling, as quarrels among the children,
Over them he stretched his charm, To subdue their stubborn battles
To allay their thirst for direct 5.1, And By the shadow of DTS ES
Spake to them with sound majestic As the sound of far-off music,
Falling into perfect placement. Warning. Spake this wise :
"O my owners! Listen to the words of wisdom,
I have given you great connectivity Filled the rooms with wondrous sound,
Left your pockets with some money. To finish off your surround.
Why then will you hunt those others? Weary them with your joy”.
Back to the Hideout came the owners, Or scattered to their distant homes
Content in Audio their quest was buried, no more they post no more they roam

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 05/13/03 04:41 PM

WOW! Smart Little Lena, I am speechless...
Posted by: Jason J

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 05/13/03 08:36 PM

Brava!!

Is the release of that performance coming out on DVD, DVD-Audio, SACD, HD-DVD, MP3, AAC, WMA, etc.??? Really, will my Outlaw be able to decode it??

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 05/13/03 11:55 PM

Ya , 950's handles that new digital audio type coming it will release in, called SLL= . (it’s a mono track with the really irritating Surround Sound special effects!

Its easy to take an old poem move a few words unfortunately this does not improve it.(contrar) nor make it rhyme any better with my input than the original version did.

[This message has been edited by Smart Little Lena (edited May 14, 2003).]

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 05/13/03 11:58 PM

whoops

[This message has been edited by Smart Little Lena (edited May 13, 2003).]

Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree? - 05/14/03 12:02 PM

Little Lena truely am smart. Yup-Yup, Keep It Up!!